Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you like going into the year with HIGH expectations?
Absolutely love going in with high expectations.  The team can win every week.  It makes it so much more engaging throughout the season than discussing the next draft before preseason is even done.  The AFC is hot, and the Bengals are one of the primary contenders.  Win, lose or draw it's exciting all the way through for multiple years running now.  Exactly the football I've dreamed of them playing for years.  This team isn't perfect; no team really can be.  But they're equipped to make the full run and should be a great time watching them do it. 

And I feel less personal pressure this year since the one loud-mouth avid Chiefs fan on my team got fired this summer and I don't have to listen to the trash talk all year  Smirk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2023, 10:07 AM)Wyche Wrote: Brother, as I approach fitty, I'm just enjoying the ride. I had those expectations back when Boomer was running the no huddle. I expect a postseason win or two, and anything beyond that is gravy. After the decade of disappointment, followed by the gut wrenching playoff meltdowns, I'm just happy being a legit contender and winning in the postseason. I haven't been stressed watching a game since the Jerry Porter fiasco. Even when we got back to winning with Joe, I don't get too worked up because we're never out of it with these guys. Another great thing about this squad, they're so fun to watch.

Ahhhhhh, the good ole days... [Image: looking-afar-jeffrey-dean-morgan.gif]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2023, 10:07 AM)Wyche Wrote: Brother, as I approach fitty, I'm just enjoying the ride. I had those expectations back when Boomer was running the no huddle. I expect a postseason win or two, and anything beyond that is gravy. After the decade of disappointment, followed by the gut wrenching playoff meltdowns, I'm just happy being a legit contender and winning in the postseason. I haven't been stressed watching a game since the Jerry Porter fiasco. Even when we got back to winning with Joe, I don't get too worked up because we're never out of it with these guys. Another great thing about this squad, they're so fun to watch.

YUP

The 2015 implosion changed me, it really did!! I mean the playoff letdowns before hurt, not to mention all the other letdowns. BUT, that was a kick to my guts like no other. It hurt more than losing the Super Bowls.

I can still remember jumping up and down at the interception, finally, woot, yee hah, and standing there counting down the seconds and then...... ummm, but a, wait, what????

My emotional investment has changed since that moment. I can't really put it into words, but it did.

And you're just a youngin, lol
Reply/Quote
How could you not have high expectations? Look at the last 2 years, we were in the SB with a bad OL and still we were 1 shitty called penalty away or even if we block Donald a second longer we win. Last year we were in the AFCCG with a shitty OL again and came up short because of 1 blown ST coverage and a bad penalty to help KC. Not to mention we lost the first couple of games and then ran off 10 straight wins with a shitty OL. This team has the "IT" factor, they find a way to win! In previous decades it was pretty much the opposite, they would find ways to lose.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2023, 10:06 AM)Tomkat Wrote: Unpopular opinion: I actually have LOWER expectations for this year. I don't think people realize how much losing Vonn Bell and Jesse Bates is going to set this team back. Go watch highlights from the last 2 seasons and see how many critical plays they made.

I’m with you here.

We can’t afford a postseason of buttcheek offense.
Reply/Quote
I have certainly enjoyed the last two seasons more than any. But the NFL being the NFL I always go into each season with very mild expectations. Anything can happen and if the Bengals go all the way to another SB great, if not well on to next year. I'm a bit concerned with the first two games of this season given they are tough divisional games and Burrow missing a lot of training camp again. Hopefully they don't end up being an issue.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2023, 11:37 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: YUP

The 2015 implosion changed me, it really did!! I mean the playoff letdowns before hurt, not to mention all the other letdowns. BUT, that was a kick to my guts like no other. It hurt more than losing the Super Bowls.

I can still remember jumping up and down at the interception, finally, woot, yee hah, and standing there counting down the seconds and then...... ummm, but a, wait, what????

My emotional investment has changed since that moment. I can't really put it into words, but it did.

Same exact scenario for me man. I couldn't even watch that game with anyone. I was in my garage by myself. I was ecstatic when Tez got the pick. Jumping for joy, screaming and yelling Who Dey. Moments later, I was in the backyard letting out howls of anguish. My neighbors were even texting me condolences, lol. They heard me. I became pretty much apathetic.

Then comes Joe Schiesty. Don't get me wrong, I'm as invested as a fan as I've ever been, I just don't get emotional anymore. (Although I must admit to some misty eyes when we beat the Raiders). Part of that is the change to our psyche that you mentioned, and the other part is I simply don't feel we're out of any game until the final whistle blows. It's almost like their confidence and steely nerves have rubbed off on me.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 12:22 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Ever since I began following this team (mid 90s), there haven't been a ton of high expectations going into a season. Sure we have had some decent teams (Palmer, Dalton) but even with those teams, I didn't really think it was ever Super Bowl or bust unless the stars truly aligned. Getting a playoff win was always kind of the goal in my mind.

Well, now that has changed. We have firmly gotten over the hump and have been to two straight AFC Championship games.

So, my question to you is this:

How do you feel going into the season where the expecations are mainly AFC Championship game/Super Bowl or bust? Do you like it more or less than "having an outside shot at a Super Bowl"? Do you like being the favorite?

Every game is going to matter that much more. The 1 seed is now at a premium. Every game wil be that much more stressful. It's a good and bad thing. Good in the sense that there are higher expectations because we actually have a good team, but bad in the sense that it does bring that stress, anxiety, and sense or urgency like a lot of us fans have never seen before.

I enjoy it much more. I think this team can overcome it if something bad happens, like say starting 0-2 like last year and most people 
saying how we wouldn't make the Playoffs after. I thought we would go on a run once Burrow got healthy and the OL started to gel 
and it happened. What was it? 10-11 game win streak? This team has more depth than that one and Burrow should be ready to go 
in week 1 with a muchly improved OL and a better and faster Defense overall.

ST's should be much better this season, they were pretty bad last year and see how far we got...
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2023, 12:32 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: I’m with you here.

We can’t afford a postseason of buttcheek offense.

Well, hopefully this OL can’t be mostly healthy in the post season. If so, you won’t see butt cheek offense. That said, the bills game was anything butt buttcheek.

Safeties will be fine. Give them until the bye week.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2023, 10:06 AM)Tomkat Wrote: Unpopular opinion: I actually have LOWER expectations for this year. I don't think people realize how much losing Vonn Bell and Jesse Bates is going to set this team back. Go watch highlights from the last 2 seasons and see how many critical plays they made.

I see your take, I counter with this.

Facts:
Upgrade at OL, and biggest free agency addition in bengals history.
Continuity at all coaching positions (no other competing team has this luxury)

Opinion:
Best CB depth in forever.
Front 7 is BETTER than last year.
I think you will be surprised with what Lou can do with a 2022 first round pick and a veteran. Vonn bell was also a cast off before joining the bengals.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2023, 12:22 PM)sandwedge Wrote: How could you not have high expectations? Look at the last 2 years, we were in the SB with a bad OL and still we were 1 shitty called penalty away or even if we block Donald a second longer we win. Last year we were in the AFCCG with a shitty OL again and came up short because of 1 blown ST coverage and a bad penalty to help KC. Not to mention we lost the first couple of games and then ran off 10 straight wins with a shitty OL. This team has the "IT" factor, they find a way to win! In previous decades it was pretty much the opposite, they would find ways to lose.

it's not about having high expectations. We all have high expectations. 

The question is if you enjoy having high expectations vs. going into the season with a chance, but not really expecting a Super Bowl (ala the Andy Years). 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2023, 11:37 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: YUP

Hands down the worst in-person experience I had in going on five decades of fandom.  Sitting out in that cold rain for so many hours, and then having to listen to these loud-mouthed Steeler fans in the row behind us, was bad enough.  I mean, going into the stadium my expectations were tempered not having Andy, but I still had this feeling that we'd gut it out and find a way to win and finally end the playoff win drought.  When the pick happened we went nuts and those assholes behind us fled from their seats.  It was all set up for the taking, and then poof, it was gone just as quickly. I left the stadium that night wondering what the team was doing, and why I was bother to keep paying to watch them do it.  But, the offseason heals many wounds and I was back in my seats come August.  Ah, the memories.

As to the OP, I wouldn't say my expectations are high, more like fair to middling.  Joe's calf certainly isn't helping, with us facing two division games in the first two weeks.  I'll see how we fare in those two games and adjust expectations accordingly.  

Right now, I'm just excited to finally see them play again tomorrow night.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2023, 11:50 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: I see your take, I counter with this.

Facts:
Upgrade at OL, and biggest free agency addition in bengals history.
Continuity at all coaching positions (no other competing team has this luxury)

Opinion:
Best CB depth in forever.
Front 7 is BETTER than last year.
I think you will be surprised with what Lou can do with a 2022 first round pick and a veteran.  Vonn bell was also a cast off before joining the bengals.

Not trying to be a downer here. But I disagree with the most CB depth in forever. Just last year we had a healthy Awuzie CTB Apple Davis and Hilton. I personally like that better than this year. If we lost a guy and forced Turner to step in I'm just not so sure he could do what Apple did for us. Although I'm worried Turner will take his lumps he brings some ball skills which Apple could almost never get a pick so he may make up for some mistakes if he can get a turnover or two.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2023, 12:32 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Not trying to be a downer here. But I disagree with the most CB depth in forever. Just last year we had a healthy Awuzie CTB Apple Davis and Hilton. I personally like that better than this year. If we lost a guy and forced Turner to step in I'm just not so sure he could do what Apple did for us. Although I'm worried Turner will take his lumps he brings some ball skills which Apple could almost never get a pick so he may make up for some mistakes if he can get a turnover or two.

A 2nd year CTB vs rookie CTB is a big difference.

In your scenario, CTB replaced Apple (upgrade) and Turner takes over for CTb (TBD)

Let’s see how awuzie looks, and I think this secondary will be firing on all cylinders after the bye week.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2023, 12:09 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: it's not about having high expectations. We all have high expectations. 

The question is if you enjoy having high expectations vs. going into the season with a chance, but not really expecting a Super Bowl (ala the Andy Years). 

Yeah I thought of this point after my original post of not having the highest expectations. But yes to to question if I enjoy having high expectations. We are legit in the top 5 or just outside. We have an absolute legit chance to win the whole thing and that is amazing. The only negative to that is I want the Bengals to pull out all the stops every year in the off-season because they are in they're window and that is a little unrealistic and can lead to some disappointment.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2023, 12:09 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: it's not about having high expectations. We all have high expectations. 

I think it comes down to how far do you feel they HAVE to go to meet expectations?

Is this season a "we expect Bengals to get the #1 overall seed or they didn't hit expectations"?
Is it a "we expect Bengals to get to the Super Bowl or they didn't hit expectations"?

Personally, I expect the Bengals to win the division and make it past wildcard weekend. They are one of the best 3-4 teams in the AFC, so I expect them to get that far in the postseason. Anything less than that is a disappointment, for me. I won't be too hung up if the Bengals don't make it to the Super Bowl though. Chiefs and Bills are right there in the same tier.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2023, 12:35 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: A 2nd year CTB vs rookie CTB is a big difference.

In your scenario, CTB replaced Apple (upgrade) and Turner takes over for CTb (TBD)

Let’s see how awuzie looks, and I think this secondary will be firing on all cylinders after the bye week.

Yeah CTB does appear by all reports to potentially have taken a step forward which is exciting because he was already playing well. I'm worries about the losses at safety but I also agree with most people that the talent level of guys were replacing them with is good. So we'll just have to see how it all plays out.

I also agree that our front 7 looks like it should be improved so if we can get a little more pressure that will also help out the secondary.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2023, 11:46 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Well, hopefully this OL can’t be mostly healthy in the post season.  If so, you won’t see butt cheek offense.  That said, the bills game was anything butt buttcheek.

Safeties will be fine.  Give them until the bye week.

I admit the Bills game was a pleasant suprise, but is really the only exception to what we've seen from the bengals' offense in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2023, 03:48 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: I admit the Bills game was a pleasant suprise, but is really the only exception to what we've seen from the bengals' offense in the playoffs.

Right, however we haven’t seen competent OL play either. Remember that time burrow got sacked 9 times in one game?
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 12:22 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Ever since I began following this team (mid 90s), there haven't been a ton of high expectations going into a season. Sure we have had some decent teams (Palmer, Dalton) but even with those teams, I didn't really think it was ever Super Bowl or bust unless the stars truly aligned. Getting a playoff win was always kind of the goal in my mind.

Well, now that has changed. We have firmly gotten over the hump and have been to two straight AFC Championship games.

So, my question to you is this:

How do you feel going into the season where the expecations are mainly AFC Championship game/Super Bowl or bust? Do you like it more or less than "having an outside shot at a Super Bowl"? Do you like being the favorite?

Every game is going to matter that much more. The 1 seed is now at a premium. Every game wil be that much more stressful. It's a good and bad thing. Good in the sense that there are higher expectations because we actually have a good team, but bad in the sense that it does bring that stress, anxiety, and sense or urgency like a lot of us fans have never seen before.

its an odd feeling to have High expectations right now anything short of an AFCCG is falling short on the season

where as the last 30 years Before the last 2....       We were just hoping for a shot at a playoff win.

With higher expectations comes more chances for disappointment. But its a lot more fun to watch right now 
Reply/Quote