Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does probable Tee tag change our draft thinking
With what looks like a franchise tag coming for Tee and speculation that the team and player are at an impasse, how does that changes our draft outlook this year?

My thoughts:

1. It will push the need for a drafted WR up on the Bengals draft board especially since percentages say Tee will not be tagged again or if he is tagged next year he could be a hold out.

2. It increases a possible tag and trade scenario which would help us fill the WR void but not sacrifice other positions

3. Increases the possible signing of a mid range WR in FA which would enable us to maybe wait a year on drafting a WR in 1/2 round.

What are your thoughts ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 11:25 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: With what looks like a franchise tag coming for Tee and speculation that the team and player are at an impasse, how does that changes our draft outlook this year?

My thoughts:

1. It will push the need for a drafted WR up on the Bengals draft board especially since percentages say Tee will not be tagged again or if he is tagged next year he could be a hold out.

2. It increases a possible tag and trade scenario which would help us fill the WR void but not sacrifice other positions

3. Increases the possible signing of a mid range WR in FA which would enable us to maybe wait a year on drafting a WR in 1/2 round.

What are your thoughts ?

So I love to mock and honestly whether my mock
Off season has us tagging tee or not I’m still trying to go WR first or second round.

For example

Regardless of tee. Sign Trent brown
Regardless of tee. Draft wide receiver with 1 of ur first two picks.

Had a mock look like this early and I think if u stay true to what I said above were good.

1.WR Brian Thomas Jr LSU
2.DT Tvondre Sweat Texas
3.OC Sedrick Van Pran Georgia
4.DL Justin Ebiogbe Alabama
5.TE Ben Sinnot Kansas St
5.RB Jaylen Wright Tennessee
6.CB Chauc Smith Wade Washington State
7.DE Myles Cole Texas Tech
7.RB Chase McClellan Alabama
Reply/Quote
Means to me, we need to look for our future #2 WR and early. The last thing we need is for Tee to play like Bates did on the Tag and
not give a lot of effort trying not to get hurt. Still find it ideal for us to trade Tee and get something for him, but like a lot of people say
that is a dream scenario. Brian Thomas Jr like JoeyB here has on his mock sure looks like the perfect WR to replace Tee in the future.

Thomas Jr is the same size as Tee but much faster on the field and looks like he runs much crisper routes with quicker feet.

Sucks as I wanted to be open to both DT and RT in the first round, I still am, but WR is now a need in case Tee doesn't play hard and
outside of the first 2 rounds I don't see us finding a Tee caliber WR.

Makes getting a RT and DT in Free Agency that much more of a need.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 05:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Means to me, we need to look for our future #2 WR and early. The last thing we need is for Tee to play like Bates did on the Tag and
not give a lot of effort trying not to get hurt. Still find it ideal for us to trade Tee and get something for him, but like a lot of people say
that is a dream scenario. Brian Thomas Jr like JoeyB here has on his mock sure looks like the perfect WR to replace Tee in the future.

Thomas Jr is the same size as Tee but much faster on the field and looks like he runs much crisper routes with quicker feet.

Sucks as I wanted to be open to both DT and RT in the first round, I still am, but WR is now a need in case Tee doesn't play hard and
outside of the first 2 rounds I don't see us finding a Tee caliber WR.

Makes getting a RT and DT in Free Agency that much more of a need.

Might be able to get Johnny Wilson in the 3rd. He’s a tall, rangy outside receiver. Also have Baker who should be there in the 3rd or later. I’m completely against a WR in the first. Even without Boyd I think WR is our strongest position. I would go DT/OL in round 1 regardless. That is unless Brock falls to us, which I highly doubt it.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 02:08 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: So I love to mock and honestly whether my mock
Off season has us tagging tee or not I’m still trying to go WR first or second round.

For example

Regardless of tee.  Sign Trent brown
Regardless of tee.  Draft wide receiver with 1 of ur first two picks.

Had a mock look like this early and I think if u stay true to what I said above were good.

1.WR Brian Thomas Jr LSU
2.DT Tvondre Sweat Texas
3.OC Sedrick Van Pran Georgia
4.DL Justin Ebiogbe Alabama
5.TE Ben Sinnot Kansas St
5.RB Jaylen Wright Tennessee
6.CB Chauc Smith Wade Washington State
7.DE Myles Cole Texas Tech
7.RB Chase McClellan Alabama
Nice mock but major issue at Oline
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 08:14 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Might be able to get Johnny Wilson in the 3rd. He’s a tall, rangy outside receiver. Also have Baker who should be there in the 3rd or later. I’m completely against a WR in the first. Even without Boyd I think WR is our strongest position. I would go DT/OL in round 1 regardless. That is unless Brock falls to us, which I highly doubt it.

Our WR core is very unproven 
Reply/Quote
I think we all knew Tee getting tagged was only a matter of time. I think there are significant hurdles to getting Tee signed long term and assume the franchise tag most likely means Tee is only going to be a Bengal for one more year. For that reason, I'd love a tag and trade since our history isn't the greatest with players performing well on the tag but I'm guessing that wont happen. To me though, it doesn't change that much in our approach to the draft. We do not have to find our future #2 WR this year (as Tee will be the #2 this season wether he struggles or not) but if a great opportunity arises then you'd be stupid not to take advantage of it. I personally think Oline and DT are priorities over WR, that said this is a strong WR class and that means a wideout could be best available in any given round. In that situation, I'd be more than happy to lock up our replacement. I do however think Burrow can elevate more average WR's and don't think an elite #2 WR is nearly as important as a starting RT or a pass rushing DT.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 08:37 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Nice mock but major issue at Oline

Last year the oline wasn’t a “major issue” by seasons end. All I have done to this point is add Trent brown for Jonah Williams and add Van Pan to center and guard depth and could start at Center which moves Karras to guard which makes Volson a solid depth piece wich is what he supposed to be. Oline is fixed here. Put the pipe down.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2024, 12:57 AM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: Last year the oline wasn’t a “major issue” by seasons end.  All I have done to this point is add Trent brown for Jonah Williams and add Van Pan to center and guard depth and could start at Center which moves Karras to guard which makes Volson a solid depth piece wich is what he supposed to be.  Oline is fixed here.  Put the pipe down.

I missed you assuming we sign brown so understand now why no OT though our line was still ranked below average, 
Reply/Quote
Someone just brought up that the 2nd tag for Tee in 25 would only be 25M. That and we could always sign a vet next year or maybe our youth improves.

Bottom line is you still need to have at least bridge starters at RT and NT going into the draft to allow you rto take bpa. If a clear cut bpa is WR so be it, but we have work to do. OT is so deep that you should get a solid one by rd 3, even if the move to guard you have to think there are a lot of scenarios where OT is bpa by then. So really, it depends on how good they do at DT. I hate drafting need.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2024, 01:52 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I missed you assuming we sign brown so understand now why no OT though our line was still ranked below average, 

Jonah Williams is below average and Volson is below average. Put Sedrick Van Pran at center move Karras to guard Trent brown at Right tackle.
Orlando brown Ted Karras Sedrick Van Pran Alex Cappa Trent Brown get the job done and then some. And guys like sharping ford Volson carman are quality depth pieces in a pinch with versatility. That line gives burrow time every snaps to go to either Chase Higgins Brian Thomas Jr. sounds good to me brother
Reply/Quote
I've always said that since we drafted Burrow, we need to be drafting 1 high ceiling WR in the 3-4th rounds every year.

I would be pretty pissed if we drafted a WR in round 1 this year unless one of top tier guys (Odunze or Nabors somehow fell)
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2024, 02:53 AM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: Jonah Williams is below average and Volson is below average. Put Sedrick Van Pran at center move Karras to guard Trent brown at Right tackle.
Orlando brown Ted Karras Sedrick Van Pran Alex Cappa Trent Brown get the job done and then some.  And guys like sharping ford Volson carman are quality depth pieces in a pinch with versatility.  That line gives burrow time every snaps to go to either Chase Higgins Brian Thomas Jr.  sounds good to me brother

Sadly our FAs have not performed to the level they did with previou team, also we really need to start locking in some quality draft picks that will be here for a while, Brown worries me  at 31 , best years behind him, we have opportunity to lock in at RT with 18th pick , hope Bengals still draft RT .
Reply/Quote
Higgins is the 8th Bengal to be tagged in the last two decades.
Bengals have not extended a tagged player in that time span other than Mike Nugent over a decade ago.

So my gut feel is whether Higgins is traded or not, Bengals will prepare for a new WR to take his spot by 2025.
As such, I think WR is definitely on the table early in this year's draft, possibly even 1st round based on who is available at 18.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 11:25 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: With what looks like a franchise tag coming for Tee and speculation that the team and player are at an impasse, how does that changes our draft outlook this year?  

My thoughts:

What are your thoughts ?

The way the club traditionally operates, the FT on Tee means they will draft a WR in the first two rounds.  When they tagged Bates, they spent a 1st on Hill.  When they tagged AJ, they drafted Higgins.  When they FT'd Johnson, they took Hunt in the 2nd.  

While it wouldn't surprise me if the club brought a B-tier FA WR, Boyd is likely gone, as well.  So that signing will simply replace Boyd and take them out of "WR in the 1st or bust", mode.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 08:14 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Might be able to get Johnny Wilson in the 3rd. He’s a tall, rangy outside receiver. Also have Baker who should be there in the 3rd or later. I’m completely against a WR in the first. Even without Boyd I think WR is our strongest position. I would go DT/OL in round 1 regardless. That is unless Brock falls to us, which I highly doubt it.

Nice TKUHL, I might like Johnny Wilson better than Keon Coleman from watching the Seminoles last year. Wilson kind of reminds me of 
Mike Evans with his size and speed. Yeah, I can understand going DT or OL in the first over a WR for sure, but it kind of depends on FA 
especially with OL and who is there. With how weak we are at DT I wouldn't be against doubling up in the first 2 rounds at this position.
Reply/Quote
I think it means we might skip WR this draft.

Chase, Tee, Irwin, Iosivas, Jones. The 6th WR spot could go to one of the guys we have been trying to develop. Pryor, Jackson, or Lassiter. Or whatever other UDFA shows up. Or possibly an older veteran for cheap.

Give it another year to see what Iosivas and Jones turn in to.

We can still tag Tee again next year if we don’t reach a long term deal. And that is when I think we would try to trade him and/or look for a replacement.

I think Irwin can step in for Boyd while Yoshi and Sizzle offer nice depth. I would love to get Jerry Rices’ son in the middle of the draft or something. But we have bigger needs than a 6th WR that needs to be addressed with our draft picks.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2024, 09:31 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I think it means we might skip WR this draft.

Chase, Tee, Irwin, Iosivas, Jones. The 6th WR spot could go to one of the guys we have been trying to develop. Pryor, Jackson, or Lassiter. Or whatever other UDFA shows up. Or possibly an older veteran for cheap.

Give it another year to see what Iosivas and Jones turn in to.

We can still tag Tee again next year if we don’t reach a long term deal. And that is when I think we would try to trade him and/or look for a replacement.

I think Irwin can step in for Boyd while Yoshi and Sizzle offer nice depth. I would love to get Jerry Rices’ son in the middle of the draft or something. But we have bigger needs than a 6th WR that needs to be addressed with our draft picks.

I think it is too good of a Draft for WR's to skip honestly. Next year would be the time to skip, this year would be the time to add a future 
playmaker IMO. Same with RB, both need addressed with all the talent in this Draft. Get our DT in FA and another one somewhat early 
while adding a RT in FA and that frees up the Draft to add playmakers. As much as I love Tee and think Irwin is a serviceable 4th WR Tee
always has a tough time staying healthy and Irwin is still only a 4th WR.

If Brian Thomas Jr is there at 18 I have a hard time passing on him, same as Brock Bowers at TE. Playmakers galore in this Draft.
Reply/Quote
I'm a tad weary of Brian Thomas Jr. I just recently started delving into tape for the draft (got a late start this year), but I may like Adonai Mitchell better (again, I still have more to watch of the WR's and several other positions). On another tangent - the OL - I'd like to come out of the draft addressing the line, but I think the playcalling precipitated a lot of the negative perception and actual stats of the unit. I won't rant about it again in this thread, as I have done so plenty in other threads going back prior to even last season.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2024, 06:58 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: I'm a tad weary of Brian Thomas Jr.  I just recently started delving into tape for the draft (got a late start this year), but I may like Adonai Mitchell better (again, I still have more to watch of the WR's and several other positions).      On another tangent - the OL - I'd like to come out of the draft addressing the line, but I think the playcalling precipitated a lot of the negative perception and actual stats of the unit.  I won't rant about it again in this thread, as I have done so plenty in other threads going back prior to even last season.

What about Brian Thomas made you "weary"?  For a CFB WR2, he put some pretty good stuff out there.  I mean for a second option on pass plays, he's pretty damned good.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote