Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
How does this get fixed - realistically
(10-18-2019, 06:41 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: So what you're really saying is with health, luck, and a competent front office it's possible?

Yikes!

lol. Yep, that's "all" it takes. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 10:15 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Absolutely. But, teams like the Dolphins with A LOT of draft picks and a projected $100 million of cap space will be the active ones. Just watch.

The sad thing is we had some $50 million of cap space this past offseason, and arguably did very little when you look at what performances the guys we signed give us.

Yeah. With the amount of picks the Dolphins have, they could crush it big time...if their guys are completent. 

How sad would it be to look at the Dolphins and Bengals, side by side, and see where the Dolphins improved drastically while the Bengals...Bengal'd.

Scratch that. Too sad/maddening to think about. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 03:56 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: You just listed eight teams who won the SB by using free agents. You build a team with draft and supplement it with free agents from other teams. Mike Browns method of resigning aging vets to spend the needed cap money is a recipe for disaster. 

Mike Brown didn't sign the aging Whitworth and yet many wish he was here today. How's that logic working for you? 

The Bengals drafted OL the year before Whitworth was allowed to walk and those players simply didn't pan out and as a result the OL is still suffering. 

You are stating exactly what I am and that is you use FA to fill in a void or two and use the draft to build the roster. The issue is that the Bengals simply haven't been all that good drafting as of late and it has impacted the team on the field play. In 2018 Marvin realized how bad the OL was and went out and got Glenn and Hart and they were better than what we had but not better than the OL of 2015. The end result was another losing season. This year is no better and again the team tried to use the draft to build up the OL with Jordan and William with William being an immediate starter who ended up being injured only impacting the overall OL as other injuries started to pile up. 

There are a few issues I see with the Bengals coaching staff and that is they seem to try to fit square pegs into round holes and that isn't working or another way to put it they keep drafting players that don't fit the scheme they are implementing. When Zimmer and Gruden were here those coaches were able to create schemes that played to the strength of the players and not trying to make the players fit within the scheme they want to run. 

Great coaches are able to adjust their scheme to ensure success for the team based on the active/current players who are suiting up on Sunday. The current coaching staff don't seem to have that capability at this point given their lack of experience as player caller and leaders for the organization. Steelers are winning with a 4th string QB because those coaches adjust scheme to meet the players who can play. 
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 01:25 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: Mike Brown didn't sign the aging Whitworth and yet many wish he was here today. How's that logic working for you? 

The Bengals drafted OL the year before Whitworth was allowed to walk and those players simply didn't pan out and as a result the OL is still suffering. 

You are stating exactly what I am and that is you use FA to fill in a void or two and use the draft to build the roster. The issue is that the Bengals simply haven't been all that good drafting as of late and it has impacted the team on the field play. In 2018 Marvin realized how bad the OL was and went out and got Glenn and Hart and they were better than what we had but not better than the OL of 2015. The end result was another losing season. This year is no better and again the team tried to use the draft to build up the OL with Jordan and William with William being an immediate starter who ended up being injured only impacting the overall OL as other injuries started to pile up. 

There are a few issues I see with the Bengals coaching staff and that is they seem to try to fit square pegs into round holes and that isn't working or another way to put it they keep drafting players that don't fit the scheme they are implementing. When Zimmer and Gruden were here those coaches were able to create schemes that played to the strength of the players and not trying to make the players fit within the scheme they want to run. 

Great coaches are able to adjust their scheme to ensure success for the team based on the active/current players who are suiting up on Sunday. The current coaching staff don't seem to have that capability at this point given their lack of experience as player caller and leaders for the organization. Steelers are winning with a 4th string QB because those coaches adjust scheme to meet the players who can play. 
I guess the coaching staff should have called me and you we could have told them what to do.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 09:31 AM)Wyche Wrote: Signing Hart for insurance wasn't too bad of a move, bidding against themselves was a bad move.

Right.  That's what I meant by his contract.

Hart at a reasonable contract for depth yes.

Hart for his bloated contract that points to starting... hell to the no.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 01:25 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: Mike Brown didn't sign the aging Whitworth and yet many wish he was here today. How's that logic working for you? 

Yes just about everything you stated is true.

The O-line is a combo of bad drafts and not finding decent Free Agents.

Scheme does factor in as well.

I do believe if this franchise doesn't splash for a player every now and then that they'll be a middling team that could possibly fall into a playoff spot.

That's the best scenario of course.  One that will quickly see them exit from post season.

If the goal is for all of the marbles they will never make it with their past/current status quo.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 05:16 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Right.  That's what I meant by his contract.

Hart at a reasonable contract for depth yes.

Hart for his bloated contract that points to starting... hell to the no.

Here's the HUGE mistake...and yes what you point out I agree with, but:

When we had Hart, Glenn, and Williams...naming Hart the starter at RT and Williams at LT. In what world is Hart better than Glenn?

I'm going Williams at RT and Hart at LT to let Jonah ease into the NFL. We've seen time after time high draft picks wash out at LT. That would have been our best combination. Then, have Hart as a 3rd Tackle.

Of course, Williams got hurt...and we know how Glenn worked out.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 09:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Here's the HUGE mistake...and yes what you point out I agree with, but:

When we had Hart, Glenn, and Williams...naming Hart the starter at RT and Williams at LT. In what world is Hart better than Glenn?

I'm going Williams at RT and Hart at LT to let Jonah ease into the NFL. We've seen time after time high draft picks wash out at LT. That would have been our best combination. Then, have Hart as a 3rd Tackle.

Of course, Williams got hurt...and we know how Glenn worked out.

Well there's certainly a huge mistake in there.
Reply/Quote
How does this realistically get fixed? It doesn't.

They'll draft. They'll rely on Jonah being healthy. We're win more games next year.

Going from say 2 wins to 6-7 wins will give fans hope.
Reply/Quote
C'mon..where's the enthusiasm? Perhaps the plane to London will mysteriously disappear over the North Atlantic with the Brown family all on board forcing the team to get new ownership and a whole new team.. We just have to think out of the box here people!  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote