Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How "fair" do the Bengals play by?
Seems like from this BB quote, Bengals probably don't get very close to any "line" when it comes to fair play. Maybe they're always fair and square wins the day, lol.

"We're competitive and we'll try to be competitive in every area," Belichick said during a conference call with Cincinnati media Tuesday morning. "But we don't knowingly, intentionally want to do anything that's across the line.

"But since that's [Spygate] happened, I'd say we've tried to keep a good distance behind the line and not maybe take it as far as we would might have in the past. But it's never really fundamentally changed there." - Bill Belichick

It's a wonder how much fair play (or not) comes into winning super bowls, since we seem to think the Steelers always have the refs side, for example.

The league allows advance scouts. The league allowed footballs within a certain PSI range, it's apparent they push the line (and crossed it in the past). NOt sure if Bengals even take advantage of the basic rules (do we have scouts? Lol).
Reply/Quote
The only line the Bengals play by is the Salary Cap line, and ensuring we are absolutely nowhere near that line.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2019, 01:46 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Seems like from this BB quote, Bengals probably don't get very close to any "line" when it comes to fair play. Maybe they're always fair and square wins the day, lol.

"We're competitive and we'll try to be competitive in every area," Belichick said during a conference call with Cincinnati media Tuesday morning. "But we don't knowingly, intentionally want to do anything that's across the line.

"But since that's [Spygate] happened, I'd say we've tried to keep a good distance behind the line and not maybe take it as far as we would might have in the past. But it's never really fundamentally changed there." - Bill Belichick

It's a wonder how much fair play (or not) comes into winning super bowls, since we seem to think the Steelers always have the refs side, for example.

The league allows advance scouts. The league allowed footballs within a certain PSI range, it's apparent they push the line (and crossed it in the past). NOt sure if Bengals even take advantage of the basic rules (do we have scouts? Lol).

The Steelers are masters at baiting the opponent. They tow the line very well.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2019, 01:48 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: The only line the Bengals play by is the Salary Cap line, and ensuring we are absolutely nowhere near that line.

That's generally false.
They do typically spend about to the salary cap year-to-year. The reason it may not seem that way is because they roll over money to therefore increase their own cap.
Also, they likely would be a lot closer if they had extended AJ Green, as was originally the plan before he got hurt in camp.

The Bengals' big problem is they overpay for their own mediocre-to-bad talent to get close to that cap.
E.g. Bobby Hart, Preston Brown, etc.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2019, 02:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That's generally false.
They do typically spend about to the salary cap year-to-year. The reason it may not seem that way is because they roll over money to therefore increase their own cap.
Also, they likely would be a lot closer if they had extended AJ Green, as was originally the plan before he got hurt in camp.

The Bengals' big problem is they overpay for their own to get close to that cap.
E.g. Bobby Hart, Preston Brown, etc.

It was a joke dude. Running on the 'Mike Brown = Cheap' line and nothing else.

But yeah, we're generally very cheap on the market but very good at loyalty and overpaying our own. 
Reply/Quote
You need scouts and personnel to do what the Patriots do. But, I would think A LOT of teams use Advanced Scouts to scout opponents to gameplan. Other teams just likely don't tape it.
Reply/Quote
Tiger
"If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'"

--a nameless grade school football coach
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2019, 01:46 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Seems like from this BB quote, Bengals probably don't get very close to any "line" when it comes to fair play. Maybe they're always fair and square wins the day, lol.

[Image: leather-bound-memes-from-week-14-in-the-...600&zoom=2]

Reply/Quote
I never, NEVER, ever see the Bengals o-line throw chop blocks.  Certain teams through multiple coaching regimes will chop block you to slow down the pass rush or to generate outside running lanes from time to time.  This is just a microcosm of the discussion at hand, but I find it interesting that certain teams have certain traits that they possess through multiple coaching regimes/o-line coaches no matter what.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 09:36 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I never, NEVER, ever see the Bengals o-line throw chop blocks.  Certain teams through multiple coaching regimes will chop block you to slow down the pass rush or to generate outside running lanes from time to time.  This is just a microcosm of the discussion at hand, but I find it interesting that certain teams have certain traits that they possess through multiple coaching regimes/o-line coaches no matter what.

New England and Baltimore chop block a lot -- and Denver used to.  Pittsburgh has found a way to disguise holding.

The only chop block I remember where any Bengal was flagged was done by Joe Mixon -- not an offensive lineman.
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown is "old fashioned" and probably isn't creating a culture that looks to do that sort of stuff like some FOs. That said, bringing in players who have committed crimes off the field was something he was OK with for awhile. In theory he always wanted to rehabilitate them, seemed like it had a pretty low success rate though.

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2019, 02:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You need scouts and personnel to do what the Patriots do. But, I would think A LOT of teams use Advanced Scouts to scout opponents to gameplan. Other teams just likely don't tape it.

From what I understand the film crew was actually there doing a story on the scouts.  They have a whole series on all parts of the organization from equipment managers to coaches.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 01:50 AM)JSR18 Wrote: Tiger
               "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'"

--a nameless grade school football coach

Also, Gordon Bombay.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 03:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Also, Gordon Bombay.

Tiger Did not know that. That's probably where he got it then... 
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
I don't know if they are cheating or not but if they are they need to quit and start being honest because this cheating thing isn't working out.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 02:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: From what I understand the film crew was actually there doing a story on the scouts.  They have a whole series on all parts of the organization from equipment managers to coaches.

They have eight minutes of film of coaches and their signs.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 02:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: From what I understand the film crew was actually there doing a story on the scouts.  They have a whole series on all parts of the organization from equipment managers to coaches.

Yep. But the Bengals need all the excuses for they can get for losing so much this season. None of it is their fault, of course.

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2019, 09:02 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yep. But the Bengals need all the excuses for they can get for losing so much this season. None of it is their fault, of course.

What are you talking about?  Who has said that none of it is their fault?
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 09:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What are you talking about?  Who has said that none of it is their fault?

I never they the Bengals front office said that. But they do believe it, that's something that is for sure. They'll keep Taylor on just to prove how right they were in hiring him.

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2019, 09:02 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yep. But the Bengals need all the excuses for they can get for losing so much this season. None of it is their fault, of course.

The Cincinnati Bengals have to be deliberately tanking. There’s no way a team could suck this bad on accident.
Reply/Quote