Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How good can the offense be?
Coley Harvey's mailbag 6/27/15

Welcome back to another installment of the Cincinnati Bengals mailbag.

This weekend, we'll explore a variety of Bengals-related topics raised by readers like you, but the general theme of the mailbags revolves around how good can the Bengals actually be in 2015? Let's delve into that with our first question:

@ColeyHarvey If they can stay relatively healthy, does this years offense have a chance to be better, overall, than the 2013 version?

— BengalsMessageBoard (@TheBengalsBoard) June 26, 2015

@ColeyHarvey. To the folks at the new Bengals Message Board, thanks for the question. First, I must say, the "if" is a big qualifier. Obviously, every team comes into each new season believing "if" it can stay healthy it has a chance to truly be great. In Cincinnati's case, I really do believe that some measure of greatness can be achieved assuming at least near-complete health this season.

Injuries derailed many of the Bengals' hopes in 2014, with receivers A.J. Green and Marvin Jones, tight ends Tyler Eifert and Jermaine Gresham, offensive linemen Andre Smith and Kevin Zeitler, and running back Giovani Bernard missing significant chunks of the season. Had the Bengals been able to get a couple games back where those players weren't injured, they might have won an extra regular-season game, and perhaps they would have had a better shot in the playoff game at Indianapolis. Because of the qualifier "if," it's hard to guess about the unknown. But here's the thing: On paper, the Bengals are poised to be every bit as good as the 2013 team. That year's offense ranked 10th. Last year's was 15th. The Bengals certainly will be more improved this season.

For starters, it's Year 2 under offensive coordinator Hue Jackson. They also expect to have weapons in the passing game they didn't have, and they better understand how to rotate running backs Jeremy Hill and Bernard. What the Bengals' offense didn't have in 2013 was a true bell-cow rusher. Hill will be that. Where the 2013 and 2015 offenses will differ is in the way that they play. Two years ago, Cincinnati had a pass-heavy system that put a lot of pressure on quarterback Andy Dalton's shoulders. This season, the Bengals will use Hill and Bernard to pace the offense.
Reply/Quote
I will point out that in terms of tackles, Burfict wasn't quite as prolific last year before the injury -- though I think he may have been in and out for the 5 games he did play?

And with AJ Green, turf toe doesn't necessarily go away with rest. Up to 50% of athletes still have symptoms 5 years later. That said, it could improve to the point it is manageable. And if it weren't feeling that good, I'd think AJ would have already taken whatever deal the team is offering him for extension. Certainly he'd take one before the season starts. Another season like last year and his value is going to take a serious hit -- both in Cinci and in FA. Not to say putting up 1000 yards while injured isn't impressive and all, but most teams don't see it that way. They just see the injury, the potential for it to get worse, the missed playoff game...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The ideal situation is that the running game is dangerous, so maybe it creates play action opp's. You throw fewer times but for more yards. This seems doable.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Even before I read this let me just say you're killing it Bengalholic.

I really appreciate your brining guys like Owczarski and Harvey onto the boards to contribute - especially during the dead zone between OTAs and TC.

A lot of work and it's most appreciated.

Somebody with the ability needs to get your face and a thumbs up together and put it in the Smilies section like we used to have Denny.

You're the man
Reply/Quote
Going into the '13 season Eifert, Jones, Sanu, and Bernard had a combined 37 career receptions. You have to figure thatb if they are all 100% healthy they will be much better than they were in '13.

Also in '13 Zeitler, Boling, and Whitworth all missed games with injury while Kyle Cook was a crippled shell of the player he was before getting injured in '12. Bodine was not much of an upgrade last year, but I am hoping he improves over his rookie season.

But BY FAR the biggets reason our offense can be better is that we have Hill instead of Green-Ellis. I was nmot as critical of Green-Ellis as many people here, but he is not in the same class as Hill.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2015, 04:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Going into the '13 season Eifert, Jones, Sanu, and Bernard had a combined 37 career receptions.  You have to figure thatb if they are all 100% healthy they will be much better than they were in '13.

Also in '13 Zeitler, Boling, and Whitworth all missed games with injury while Kyle Cook was a crippled shell of the player he was before getting injured in '12.  Bodine was not much of an upgrade last year, but I am hoping he improves over his rookie season.

But BY FAR the biggets reason our offense can be better is that we have Hill instead of Green-Ellis.  I was nmot as critical of Green-Ellis as many people here, but he is not in the same class as Hill.
In addition our defense may not be what it was in '13, but it should be much better than it was in '14.

Geno sounds like he will return to his pre-injury form.   Hayes said he felt he looked even better - a tantalizing thought.   Johnson and Sims have returned, and I think that Hardison will contribute in the rotation this year.   I think that our two young corners will upgrade the defensive backfield - though they may start of a little slow and have occasional let downs.  Our LBs will be deeper for the additions of Hawk, Dawson and a more experienced Flowers.  And if Burfict can return to 2013 form by midway through the season we could have a very good defense.

And I think Dalton's commitment to getting his improved mechanics closer to automatic and his head straight pays off - to what degree I don't know.  But he was not the # one problem in Indy.  If we have our guys and the good Andy comes out 70% plus, we'll be a very competitive team against playoff teams.

I'm not Kool-Aid positive, but I'm pretty optimistic at this point.
Reply/Quote
Only as good as Dalton's nerve in the clutch.

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2015, 04:00 PM)3wt Wrote: Even before I read this let me just say you're killing it Bengalholic.

I really appreciate your brining guys like Owczarski and Harvey onto the boards to contribute - especially during the dead zone between OTAs and TC.

A lot of work and it's most appreciated.

Somebody with the ability needs to get your face and a thumbs up together and put it in the Smilies section like we used to have Denny.

You're the man

Thanks brother. Harvey is only answering my question from Twitter. But, I have submitted 2 questioned so far, this and the one about Vontaze, and both became the lead, title question...so that's pretty cool. Any time when we can get our name out there, it helps us become more recognized (hopefully). We now have 2 mentions on ESPN with Harvey's mailbag, and one on Cincinnati.com, thanks to Jim O.

What we really need is for actual football to hurry the hell up and get here! I'm jonesing so bad, I watched some old USFL highlights the other night. LOL
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2015, 04:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Going into the '13 season Eifert, Jones, Sanu, and Bernard had a combined 37 career receptions.  You have to figure thatb if they are all 100% healthy they will be much better than they were in '13.

Also in '13 Zeitler, Boling, and Whitworth all missed games with injury while Kyle Cook was a crippled shell of the player he was before getting injured in '12.  Bodine was not much of an upgrade last year, but I am hoping he improves over his rookie season.

But BY FAR the biggets reason our offense can be better is that we have Hill instead of Green-Ellis.  I was nmot as critical of Green-Ellis as many people here, but he is not in the same class as Hill.

Agreed on all points, but I will add one that I think is vital to Hue's offense:  Tight Ends.

The Bengals showed a small dose of what could be a very difficult offense to defend with Eifert in the first half of game 1 last season.  Gresham is just too inconsistent for me, and apparently, the Bengals.  If Kroft can contribute with even 30 receptions this season, and be solid in his blocking, the TEs of the 2015 squad could be a huge improvement over the 2013 squad.  Although technically an H-back, the Bengals didn't have anyone like Hewitt in 2013, either. 

Combine that with the improvement of your aforementioned offensive line talent (and depth), and you might have this team's best offensive balance perhaps ever.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2015, 04:21 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: Only as good as Dalton's nerve in the clutch.

Since Marvin Lewis became head coach in 2003, the Bengals are 7-16 in regular-season games at night. Last season, they went 1-3 in primetime, with two of the losses being among the most lopsided they had all season. Marvin Lewis also own a 0-6 playoff record.

Reply/Quote