Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How has the Seattle game changed your expectations for the season?
Defensive performance was a huge surprise.

All last year I said we had a lot of talent on the defense but were just grossly underperforming.  I figured we would show some improvement, but I did not have the confidence in Lou to fix it this well this fast.

I know it was only one game, and it may end up that the Seahawks were very overrated, but since Russell Wilson arrived in 2012 the Seahawks have always had a decent offense.  Last year they had the #1 rushing offense and were #6 scoring.
Reply/Quote
Very encouraged with how Taylor is running the team so far. The willingness to go for points at the end of the half and actually pull it off was refreshing to see. This team could be a surprise. Let’s Hope.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Still in wait and see mode at .500. The defense was better than I expected and should keep them in games but with the O-line getting no push in the run game and teams going forward having film to plan pressure packages I need to see more before I'll hope for any more than .500.
Reply/Quote
I predicted 10-6 and still stand by that prediction despite the loss. We have something great going on here and although it's not all together, it will come together quickly. I'm half tempted to increase to 11-5 but I don't want to jinx it. These guys are going to embarrass the shit out of all the naysayers who refused to give them or their young new coach credit.

Reply/Quote
I still standing at 10-6... Have to wait to see if its a trend or not. Same with the rest of the division.... this week will be telling
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 09:08 AM)Aquapod770 Wrote: I know everyone is talking about the offense, but the defense is what impressed me the most. A massive improvement over our historically bad defense last year. Outside of a few lapses we shut a very good Seattle team down.

My thoughts exactly. I had confidence and optimism regarding the offense going in, but was wary about the defense to say the least. I hope they can maintain that intensity and element of surprise. They truly exceeded my expectations.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 01:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Defensive performance was a huge surprise.

All last year I said we had a lot of talent on the defense but were just grossly underperforming.  I figured we would show some improvement, but I did not have the confidence in Lou to fix it this well this fast.

I know it was only one game, and it may end up that the Seahawks were very overrated, but since Russell Wilson arrived in 2012 the Seahawks have always had a decent offense.  Last year they had the #1 rushing offense and were #6 scoring.

The defense had the highest pressure rate of any team in week 1. It was great to see and hopefully it continues.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 01:11 PM)R3stangs Wrote: My only change in expectations is that we'll lose by less than I would've thought previously. Its still a Bengal team that found a way to lose all too reminiscent of many past teams. Hope to be proven wrong but at the end of the day, regardless of how well we played (most of the game),we still lost.

I agree with R3 on this.  I don't want moral victories...I want them to win games like this.  I can't tell you how many times in the past, and now including this game, that a missed FG, or a botched 2 point conversion has, in the end, cost them a game.  I want to be wrong, but until they actually win games like this, probably still looking at 5-11
Reply/Quote
It really hasn't changed my expectations much. It was encouraging, no doubt, but it's Taylor's first game. The true test will be how we look once teams have some time to study the tape and properly prepare.

I still expect us to win at most 6 games, but maybe now I'd expect more close games.

My biggest fear from the Seattle game is that I still see the same issues as past seasons. Dumb penalties resulting in points for the other team (Kirkpatrick), blown assignments resulting in points for the other team (Lockett TD). Our team seems to find ways to lose more often than not.
Reply/Quote
I was pleasantly surprised at how organized the new coaching staff appeared on the side-line. But I was more surprised by the energy the players exuded on both sides of the ball. They never seemed rattled and they played fast with confidence. They looked like a play-off team on both sides of the ball.

I was not expecting the defense to be so awesome against a formidable dual-threat QB in Wilson. Maybe because Sweet Lou was not the first choice for DC.

I can actually see the Bengals running the table this year in the AFCN. If this team plays like it did against Seattle, I can see the Bengals beating anyone, even the Patriots.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I was actually disappointed with the game Sunday we outgained them by 200 and lost. Seattle was actually a good matchup for us bad offensive line vs our Defensive line I knew the D would win that matchup. I wasn't expecting Dalton to throw for 400 yards though.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
First time in many years where the players seem to know what to do, that you can see there is a gameplan.

I definitely wanted to root for that team in Seattle. Play your ass off and the fans will follow.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 04:08 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I was actually disappointed with the game Sunday we outgained them by 200 and lost. Seattle was actually a good matchup for us bad offensive line vs our Defensive line I knew the D would win that matchup. I wasn't expecting Dalton to throw for 400 yards though.

we clean up the redzone woes...   And turnovers (ST fumble and That fluky ball that jumped out of daltons hand in the Redzone)   and we have that game by 2 scores..

still stuff to work on...  But the offense is moving without 3 of its top pieces..  Glenn Mixon Green        And defense was smothering seattle…    outside the one broken play to Lockett I think.
Reply/Quote
Not too much actually. Felt we were an 8-8 team. Seattle makes me think more of an 9-7.

What was more encouraging was watching the rest of the AFC look pretty weak around the league.

We have a decent shot at a wildcard.
Reply/Quote
I predicted 8-8. I think we might do 9-7 or 10-6.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 09:04 AM)Fullrock Wrote: I predicted a 5-11 record.

I must say that I am certainly hopeful after watching the game last week and hearing players talk about ZT. The one thing that bothers me is that was a game we should have won, but made just enough mistakes to take home a loss. Hopefully those mistakes are an aberration. The 49ers game will tell a lot about where this team is headed.

True. 

As far as "a game we should have won", true as well but i'm not as critical because of who they lost to and where they lost. If they had done the same thing at a place like Tampa or Detroit, then i'd be less impressed. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 09:47 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am not sure if we knew Bengals would be missing one of best WR's in the NFL and our LT week one at Seattle anyone could have predicted our offense would go over 400 yards at Seattle and AD would lead the NFL in passing yards.

The defense was awesome albeit a couple of bad plays, one missed assignment by Bates cost us a TD and poor tackling cost us a second.

I wanted us to win 10 or 11 games and get back to the playoffs with our vet roster. This team showed me they have talent, now they have to execute and finish teams off. Our offense was great between the 20 yard lines, but we need less turnovers and we need TD's versus field goals.

Overall, I was impressed with ZT and his staff. But, make no mistake he made some decisions that did not turn out well, but every HC does. I hope he grows and am optimistic he will.

I think we looked like a playoff team (talent wise and coaching wise), but looking and being are 2 different things.

I am hopeful we play like we did last week with a few improvements at home Sunday, if so we can get a win and start moving forward towards erasing the past 3 years in our minds.

I was very leery of the defense and oline going in. I even told my wife they could get blown out, so don't expect any screaming at the TV. 

I was VERY pleasantly surprised at the outcome.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 01:11 PM)R3stangs Wrote: My only change in expectations is that we'll lose by less than I would've thought previously. Its still a Bengal team that found a way to lose all too reminiscent of many past teams. Hope to be proven wrong but at the end of the day, regardless of how well we played (most of the game),we still lost.

Sam Wyche started off 0-5 in his first year. Marv started off 0-3 and got blown out at home in his first game, against the Broncos. Bengals were 7-9 and 2-14, repsectively the previous years. 

Both ended up finishing 8-8 in their first year. Wyche was in the SB in his 5th year, 10-6 and just missed the playoffs in his 3rd year. Marv had a SB contending team in his 3rd year. 

Were their slow starts reminiscent of previous teams or predictive of what they would become? Point is, you can't hold a new coach accountable for what the previous team(s) did. And you can't expect them to turn a team around 180 degrees the first year. 

Hell, wunderkind McVay only started off 3-2 his first year and he had a #1 overall pick at QB and Gurley from the get. 

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 01:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd say I definitely expect wins over the 49ers and Bills now.

That would be my expectation. 

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 05:18 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I predicted 8-8. I think we might do 9-7 or 10-6.

I am sticking with 8-5-3, but I predict that will win the division over the 9-7 Ratbirds.
Reply/Quote