Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How has the Seattle game changed your expectations for the season?
A rookie coach and coaching staff meant we entered this season with a high degree of unpredictability. We just didn't know what to expect. We've now had a taster and the coach and his schemes so how has that additional evidence changed your expectations of what to now expect this year?

For those of you predicting 5 or 6 win seasons have you revised your win expectations upwards?

For those that were predicting 9 or 10 win seasons have you revised your win expectation downwards now we've dropped a game you maybe had as a win?
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 07:31 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: A rookie coach and coaching staff meant we entered this season with a high degree of unpredictability. We just didn't know what to expect. We've now had a taster and the coach and his schemes so how has that additional evidence changed your expectations of what to now expect this year?

For those of you predicting 5 or 6 win seasons have you revised your win expectations upwards?

For those that were predicting 9 or 10 win seasons have you revised your win expectation downwards now we've dropped a game you maybe had as a win?

I was actually one who always felt this would be better than a .500 team even with the new coaching staff.  There are just too many experienced players on this team to be really bad without suffering a bunch of injuries.

And after last weekend I am even more optimistic, albeit cautiously.  The reason why is the performance of both lines, and the aggressiveness of both the offense and the defense.  Coaching has made a difference in both aspects.

It's been a very long time where I can remember a Bengal WR running free on a crossing pattern with the potential for a big gain after catch (like the ball Ross dropped).  That's coaching and scheme.  Likewise, seeing the defense play fast was impressive.  Again, coaching, it's apparent the players are not wrapped up in their heads and just reacting to what's being presented.

It's still very early and who knows, but all in all I was more than surprised.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I predicted we would surprise a lot of people and go 9-7, I think the way we played on Sunday we have already surprised a few.
I think we will still go 9-7 but if we keep everyone health I really think we will go 11-5
Reply/Quote
I predicted a 5-11 record.

I must say that I am certainly hopeful after watching the game last week and hearing players talk about ZT. The one thing that bothers me is that was a game we should have won, but made just enough mistakes to take home a loss. Hopefully those mistakes are an aberration. The 49ers game will tell a lot about where this team is headed.
Reply/Quote
I know everyone is talking about the offense, but the defense is what impressed me the most. A massive improvement over our historically bad defense last year. Outside of a few lapses we shut a very good Seattle team down.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Other than winning the game, they did exactly what I thought they would. I didn't see the John Ross thing happening though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I expected the offense to be fine and the O line not to be a season killer like many thought. What was impressive was the defensive game plan to specifically shut down their run and contain Wilson in the pocket. If the defense can continue playing like that we have a really good chance to have a nice year.
Reply/Quote
It was a MUCH BETTER product than what I have seen the last few years. For the longest time, I wanted to see less floaters and more zip on Dalton's throws. Check. I wanted to see the defense playing with a fiery heart and urgency like we had under Zimmer. Check. 

A win would have been nice, but the quality of play was there and probably so good that the players surprised themselves. I think the confidence is coming back and both offense and defense will be in sync - something we haven't had in a long time.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
I expect this team to win 9 to 11 games.
Too much talent for this team to be considered a 28 to 32 team.
What really surprised me was that ZT coached this game
LIke it was a playoff game.
Marvin never coached with that sense of urgency
Reply/Quote
I am not sure if we knew Bengals would be missing one of best WR's in the NFL and our LT week one at Seattle anyone could have predicted our offense would go over 400 yards at Seattle and AD would lead the NFL in passing yards.

The defense was awesome albeit a couple of bad plays, one missed assignment by Bates cost us a TD and poor tackling cost us a second.

I wanted us to win 10 or 11 games and get back to the playoffs with our vet roster. This team showed me they have talent, now they have to execute and finish teams off. Our offense was great between the 20 yard lines, but we need less turnovers and we need TD's versus field goals.

Overall, I was impressed with ZT and his staff. But, make no mistake he made some decisions that did not turn out well, but every HC does. I hope he grows and am optimistic he will.

I think we looked like a playoff team (talent wise and coaching wise), but looking and being are 2 different things.

I am hopeful we play like we did last week with a few improvements at home Sunday, if so we can get a win and start moving forward towards erasing the past 3 years in our minds.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I didn't know what to expect and still don't. Last year injuries really derailed a very good start offensively and the scheam defensivly was kind of an abortion from the start. Once the injuries started to pile up the season was doomed. I can't blame Marvin for the injuries, but hiring Austin may have been his undoing.
This year has yet to be determined, but I do think Zac will get the chance and time to get it right even if they don't win as many games as we would like. Unless they begin getting blown out game after game he'll be around awhile and I doubt he'll see a slew of blowouts. 
Right now they're right about where I expected.  The unknown..

He's saying all the right things. After all, has any HC ever come right out at the beginning of the season to say, "Oh, we're gonna suck all season so don't bother getting excited"!
Nope ..they all tell us how optimistic they are even if deep down they know they're doomed. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Things I liked:
- Aggressiveness at the end of the first half to score points
- Willingness to pass when the run wasn't working
- Spreading the ball out to receivers (5 people had 5+ targets)
- A willingness to admit mistakes were made
- Defense (especially DL) was better than expected

Things I didn't like:
- A horrible run game just like all preseason. It doesn't matter if SEA was good against the run, as (I thought) the Bengals' MO was supposed to be running the ball to then set up play action. That was supposedly the reason to bring back Hart, right?
- Only scoring 3 points in the entire second half. I didn't watch the second half so I don't know if it was due to poor execution, poor playcalling, the opposing defense just stepping up its game a lot, and/or the weather.

Ultimately, I don't know if this changes my expectations in terms of record. They lost by less than what I thought they would, but they still lost. I don't think they win a lot of games if they can't get the running game going.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'm expecting A SB championship over the Dallas Cowboys. I can hope
Reply/Quote
In a couple different season prediction threads I said 8-8, 9-7 area. I really didn't think we'd do worse than .500 just was unsure, as was everyone, of how far we could (if any) get above it ?

I'm trying hard to temper my expectations. Or shall I say, get to geeked up over one game. But Seattle is no slouch ! I'd say at a minimum they're a .500 team and probably above that. And I realize they're not known for their offensive prowess, they're a very tough team at home (yes I know we didn't win) and our defense basically took it to em save a couple plays.

And that's the thing that has me leaning hard towards doing better. We haven't seen a defense like that literally in years ! If they can keep it up I think 10-6 or even 11-5 is very possible.

We get AJ back and Eifert can stay healthy, hopefully Ross has broke out and don't forget about Boyd. Add in Mixon and Gio and this team will be very dangerous.
Reply/Quote
+ :Team is better coached.

- :We had enough weapons to win, laid an egg in the 2nd half, O owes the D some lunch.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 10:21 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Things I liked:
- Aggressiveness at the end of the first half to score points
- Willingness to pass when the run wasn't working
- Spreading the ball out to receivers (5 people had 5+ targets)
- A willingness to admit mistakes were made
- Defense (especially DL) was better than expected

Things I didn't like:
- A horrible run game just like all preseason. It doesn't matter if SEA was good against the run, as (I thought) the Bengals' MO was supposed to be running the ball to then set up play action. That was supposedly the reason to bring back Hart, right?
- Only scoring 3 points in the entire second half. I didn't watch the second half so I don't know if it was due to poor execution, poor playcalling, the opposing defense just stepping up its game a lot, and/or the weather.

Ultimately, I don't know if this changes my expectations in terms of record. They lost by less than what I thought they would, but they still lost. I don't think they win a lot of games if they can't get the running game going.

I tend to agree, however I'm hanging on to the notion that as the offense gels especially the Oline the running game will sorta work itself out.

Foolhadry ? perhaps But if the offense can stay healthy it could be one of the top units and with all those weapons they can't stop all of em. Can they ?
Reply/Quote
I'm almost gonna miss hearing those post game pressers and "We just need to do better in all three phases..." from Marv..
At least you never had to worry about Marvin building up your excitement for the next game after a blow out..
"I was clinging to his every word"  said nobody ever about Marvin after any game after a loss..
If ever there was a great coach for taking a nap after a game it was Marvin..I give him credit for keeping me nice and rested after every game. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 10:21 AM)ochocincos Wrote: - Only scoring 3 points in the entire second half. I didn't watch the second half so I don't know if it was due to poor execution, poor playcalling, the opposing defense just stepping up its game a lot, and/or the weather.

We controlled the ball for over 19 minutes in the second half running 40 plays for 183 yards and 10 first downs.

The main reasons we only scored 3 were two fumbles lost, a missed FG, and a failed 4th down attempt. 
Reply/Quote
My only change in expectations is that we'll lose by less than I would've thought previously. Its still a Bengal team that found a way to lose all too reminiscent of many past teams. Hope to be proven wrong but at the end of the day, regardless of how well we played (most of the game),we still lost.
Reply/Quote
I'd say I definitely expect wins over the 49ers and Bills now.
Reply/Quote