Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How likely to see NFL
Hey guys, I'm from Australia so it is a little hard to tell from here but how likely are we to see the NFL start this year with or without crowds due to Covid 19? Over here our sports have started back up but without crowds, our stadiums are allowed to have 25% capacity on July 1. Our Covid 19 Stats are much better than you guys have over there, so ws just looking for the state of play in regards to the NFL and covid 19.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2020, 06:43 PM)AussieBengal Wrote: Hey guys, I'm from Australia so it is a little hard to tell from here but how likely are we to see the NFL start this year with or without crowds due to Covid 19? Over here our sports have started back up but without crowds, our stadiums are allowed to have 25% capacity on July 1. Our Covid 19 Stats are much better than you guys have over there, so ws just looking for the state of play in regards to the NFL and covid 19.
I saw a quote from the league about a month ago that said they are hell bent on having week one as scheduled and that they would reassess afterwards if needed. 

Since then, everything I've seen is that the NFL is committed to keeping it's schedule. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2020, 06:47 PM)wcu Wrote: I saw a quote from the league about a month ago that said they are hell bent on having week one as scheduled and that they would reassess afterwards if needed. 

Since then, everything I've seen is that the NFL is committed to keeping it's schedule. 

Do you think that will be with or without crowds?
Reply/Quote
Without is my guess or at least very limited attenance
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2020, 06:43 PM)AussieBengal Wrote: Hey guys, I'm from Australia so it is a little hard to tell from here but how likely are we to see the NFL start this year with or without crowds due to Covid 19? Over here our sports have started back up but without crowds, our stadiums are allowed to have 25% capacity on July 1. Our Covid 19 Stats are much better than you guys have over there, so ws just looking for the state of play in regards to the NFL and covid 19.

I'm sure we'll get a Week 1 on or about the normal time. If they can get all the players together and keep them COVID free and in the facilities we should be good. Football without fans in the stands is better then no football at all. 
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I feel pretty strongly that there will be a NFL season. Fans? Not so much. Also think that if they start with or without fans, that's the way it stays beyond a major spike in the pandemic. Major competitive disadvantage to have fans in stands for part of the year, then none later depending on a team's home/away scheduling.

I'd bet a paycheck that there will be football. The only thing that scares me is the number of cases being reported at voluntary college camps. I'm sure those guys will be alright, but seeing cases spread has to have the powers that be looking into restrictive quarantines when facilities open. Injuries are bad enough in a sport like football. Having guys quarantine for 2-3 weeks could gut a team's roster.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2020, 12:21 AM)samhain Wrote: I feel pretty strongly that there will be a NFL season.  Fans?  Not so much.  Also think that if they start with or without fans, that's the way it stays beyond a major spike in the pandemic.  Major competitive disadvantage to have fans in stands for part of the year, then none later depending on a team's home/away scheduling.

I'd bet a paycheck that there will be football.  The only thing that scares me is the number of cases being reported at voluntary college camps.  I'm sure those guys will be alright, but seeing cases spread has to have the powers that be looking into restrictive quarantines when facilities open.  Injuries are bad enough in a sport like football.  Having guys quarantine for 2-3 weeks could gut a team's roster.

It's interesting, as even with our low numbers of covid over here, a game was postponed today due to the one case we had in the entire state being a teacher at a school that one of the players children attended. That player is now in isolation for 2 weeks.

In Australia we are now just 2 weeks from our stadiums allowing 25% capacity, which will be great as that should get me into see a game.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2020, 07:39 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I'm sure we'll get a Week 1 on or about the normal time. If they can get all the players together and keep them COVID free and in the facilities we should be good. Football without fans in the stands is better then no football at all. 

Are they looking at players being quarantined in a bubble type set up?
Reply/Quote
I bet the hits are less aggressive with no fans in the stands.

Reply/Quote
I think it's too soon to tell.

Yes, the league is intent on having the season proceed on time. But no one knows how the players will react yet. It's one thing having virtual meetings and talking about training camps but doing it is another story.

I can foresee players getting to training camps and then having second thoughts and the players union stepping in and all hell breaking loose. All it would take would be a very small number of players or coaches testing positive to throw a monkey wrench into the whole thing.

I think it will probably happen but I won't believe it until I see it. The world has developed a real rush to overreact mentality that has never existed in the past.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
My gut says there will be no NFL season this year. Plenty can change by then, but there appears to be an uptick right now, and I'm not sure people are considering what a big operation the NFL is. 53 man rosters, the practice squad, however many coaches, doctors trainers. With or without fans, you still need security.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2020, 09:48 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I bet the hits are less aggressive with no fans in the stands.

We have a similar contact sport here and the hits or intensity hasn't fallen because of no crowds.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2020, 12:18 PM)McC Wrote: I think it's too soon to tell.  

Yes, the league is intent on having the season proceed on time.  But no one knows how the players will react yet.  It's one thing having virtual meetings and talking about training camps but doing it is another story.

I can foresee players getting to training camps and then having second thoughts and the players union stepping in and all hell breaking loose.  All it would take would be a very small number of players or coaches testing positive to throw a monkey wrench into the whole thing.

I think it will probably happen but I won't believe it until I see it.  The world has developed a real rush to overreact mentality that has never existed in the past.

I'm guessing the players wouldn't be asked to take pay cuts over there? Alot of players around the world in other sports have been asked to take pay cuts due to seasons being suspended.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2020, 07:53 AM)AussieBengal Wrote: Are they looking at players being quarantined in a bubble type set up?

I heard talk of once the players are in the facility that they kept in some form of loose isolation. Not sure how receptive they'll be to being told they have to stay on facility grounds and not go out in public, but I think its a necessary measure if we want to keep them healthy. 
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I think they are looking at the models of some of the larger college football venues (Ohio State, Michigan, A&M, Tennessee, etc.). These universities are looking to play regular schedules with a 25-50% fan capacity. That would put about 15,000 - 40,000 fans in the seats, depending on the size of the stadium. For example, Paul Brown Stadium would be limited to 15,000 - 30,000 fans.

Troy Vincent thinks otherwise as he feels all stadiums will be full capacity. https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-is-planning-to-have-full-stadiums-when-2020-season-begins-163452146.html

That being said, at least one team (Steelers) is limiting ticket sales right now to 50% just in case.
Reply/Quote
I think the season will start, but may have limited or no fans in the stands.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2020, 06:59 PM)magikod Wrote: I think the season will start, but may have limited or no fans in the stands.

Agreed there as really at least it will be a game.
Happy Halloween
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2020, 01:05 PM)jason Wrote: My gut says there will be no NFL season this year. Plenty can change by then, but there appears to be an uptick right now, and I'm not sure people are considering what a big operation the NFL is. 53 man rosters, the practice squad, however many coaches, doctors trainers. With or without fans, you still need security.

Yeah, they keep showing graphs of states seeing upswings in both cases and hospitalizations.  Two months go I would have said the season occurring was a lock, albeit without fans.  Now, though that's looking shakier by the day.  I want it happen -  there's only so many times you can watch a rebroadcast of the 2014 Outback Bowl on ESPN Ocho.   But, not getting a real warm and fuzzy right now about the whole situation.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2020, 08:21 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Yeah, they keep showing graphs of states seeing upswings in both cases and hospitalizations.  Two months go I would have said the season occurring was a lock, albeit without fans.  Now, though that's looking shakier by the day.  I want it happen -  there's only so many times you can watch a rebroadcast of the 2014 Outback Bowl on ESPN Ocho.   But, not getting a real warm and fuzzy right now about the whole situation.  

If something other than NASCAR, UFC on an island, or golf had gotten going (that's you MLB) I'd feel like there's a shot... But it doesn't seem to be happening.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2020, 01:30 PM)AussieBengal Wrote: We have a similar contact sport here and the hits or intensity hasn't fallen because of no crowds.

Oh, how I wish that Rugby would have been popular, in the small town that I grew up in.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote