Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How likely to see NFL
(07-08-2020, 11:51 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Oh horsehockey. They have tests that give results in less than 15 minutes. If everyone is tested before each practice and game, they have less chance of contracting it in a controlled environment, even while playing, than they do by going out to a restaurant or clubbing, or going to a backyard cookout while they are sitting out the season. Does anyone really think these 20 something year olds with pockets of cash are going to sit home and quarantine they whole time???

FYI: The MLB is already having testing issues.  4 teams had to cancel practice on Monday because they were still waiting on their test results from the previous Friday.

One has to wonder why they're running into delays already, and why they're not using this simple 15 minute test you're speaking of.  There has to be a reason for that.  Be it's availablity, it's reliability, or it's cost.  Either they're not easy to get enough, they're not accurate enough, of they're cost prohibitive.  Take your pick.

Another to consider:  Baseball consists of 750 players on active rosters.  The NFL consists of 1,760 players on active rosters.  More players = more tests.  This certainly doesn't make it any easier for the NFL to impliment a more timely process than MLB.

I'm going to ask you one question, and I would love for you to honestly answer it.  I'll even bold it so hopefully you don't just skim past in...

What happens if an NFL team has a situation like what just happened at Clemson, where 23 players test postive for Covid-19 in the middle of the season?

Now you/they really have to have an answer to this question.  It can't be dismissed.  You can't say it can't or won't happen, because it did happen.  So what is your answer?  Do they just ignore the results and play on?  Do they bring in replacement players?  Do they cancel games until the roster can be brought back from quarantine?

I'd love an answer to this because I don't have one.  I don't know what they hell they would do.  And that's a big freaking problem to solve.  Let me know what you think.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2020, 09:01 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Calling it the same as the flu proves he is peddling propaganda instead if facts.

If we count flu deaths like we count Covid-19 deaths then the flu kills between 3 to 7 thousand people a yera.  

The CDC uses complex algorithims to calculate the number of unreported flu deaths at between 20 to 65 thousand a year.  Those are the numbers that the people who use the term "China Flu" refer to.

But we already have 130 thousand Covid-19 deaths with MANY MANY more to come.

Still waiting for the "simple math" to show how they are the same.  

Basically the people who want a lower death rate just argue that total covid cases are underreported, but they refuse to admit that the number of Covid deaths could also be underreported due to lack of testing.

To be clear, an honest mistake calling it the flu and I do think like the flu can be deadly.

Here is the simple math.

Over 3 million confirmed cases as of today. CDC estimates 10X that number (their number and fact) actually have had it so over 30 million. To date, less than 132 thousand of died. There are arguments both ways of over and under reporting of deaths so who do you believed (no facts, just opinions to date).

https://www.foxnews.com/us/coronavirus-cases-usa-3-million

So simple math

30,000,000 divided by 132,000 = death rate to date of .23% of those who contracted the virus based on CDC saying 10X number have contracted.

Fact, the death rate is dropping daily as more cases are discovered.
Fact, the death rate of anyone age 65 or under with NO UNDERLYING HEALTH ISSUES is very low.
Fact, death rate of those 85 or older with underlying health condition is much higher than those 85 or under.

This is not propaganda, these are facts. On the other hand, I see you like to throw out your opinion as do others without citing facts.

I am not saying this is not an issue, I am not saying do not do your part. Just the opposite, do your part and wear a mask, social distance and wash your hands. If you have underlying serious health issues and are over 65, by all means keep self quarantining if possible.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2020, 11:51 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Oh horsehockey. They have tests that give results in less than 15 minutes. If everyone is tested before each practice and game, they have less chance of contracting it in a controlled environment, even while playing, than they do by going out to a restaurant or clubbing, or going to a backyard cookout while they are sitting out the season. Does anyone really think these 20 something year olds with pockets of cash are going to sit home and quarantine they whole time???

I think the low rung guys woyld want to play, but the guys who are on huge contracts might not want to risk long term effects in order to play right now. 
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2020, 05:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: The virus started in Wuhan. Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Southeast Asia Respiratory Syndrome, Dengue Fever, Ebola, Spanish Flu, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, West Nile Virus, Zika......... diseases have always been named for their places of origin. It's not hate speech or xenophobic, until it became in vogue to use such terms. 

Only 1 of which refers to a person or a nation of people.... And the Spanish Flu was found in America (and wasn't even big in Spain). Being that is was from 1918 it comes from a time where the US was openly racist w/o even trying to acknowledge that fact. So AGAIN it's AMERICA pointing fingers at other people. 

The rest refer to mountains and rivers. And there is no such thing as... Southeast Asia Respiratory Syndrome.... SARS is Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome

It's not vogue, it's eliminating prejudice. And its 2020 it is past due at this date in human evolution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

P.S. If you want to correctly speak about it... The virus is COVID-19 and the illness is SARS-CoV-2. Think of it like HIV is a virus but AIDS is the illness that stems from the infection.
Reply/Quote
I think isolation is an option.
"They won't spend that kind of time away from their families "
Military men do it all the time. Maybe set up the bye week as a leave time, with rigorous testing upon re entry.
"They won't risk getting sick"
I do. I actually look at my "essential job" as a blessing, as I have barely missed a beat.
Perhaps their sense of patriotism could be appealed to. Because our nation could really really use a little normal right now.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2020, 12:31 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: FYI: The MLB is already having testing issues.  4 teams had to cancel practice on Monday because they were still waiting on their test results from the previous Friday.

One has to wonder why they're running into delays already, and why they're not using this simple 15 minute test you're speaking of.  There has to be a reason for that.  Be it's availablity, it's reliability, or it's cost.  Either they're not easy to get enough, they're not accurate enough, of they're cost prohibitive.  Take your pick.

Another to consider:  Baseball consists of 750 players on active rosters.  The NFL consists of 1,760 players on active rosters.  More players = more tests.  This certainly doesn't make it any easier for the NFL to impliment a more timely process than MLB.

I'm going to ask you one question, and I would love for you to honestly answer it.  I'll even bold it so hopefully you don't just skim past in...

What happens if an NFL team has a situation like what just happened at Clemson, where 23 players test postive for Covid-19 in the middle of the season?

Now you/they really have to have an answer to this question.  It can't be dismissed.  You can't say it can't or won't happen, because it did happen.  So what is your answer?  Do they just ignore the results and play on?  Do they bring in replacement players?  Do they cancel games until the roster can be brought back from quarantine?

I'd love an answer to this because I don't have one.  I don't know what they hell they would do.  And that's a big freaking problem to solve.  Let me know what you think.

And it is even more detrimental in the NFL because teams live and die with 1 QB. How many teams can salvage a season without their QB 1?

The Ryan Finley Bengals aren't going to turn the season around. Chad Henne probably won't get the Chiefs another SB victory. We saw what Pittsburgh did last year without Big Ben. Does this mean Jameis Winston wins the SB with the Saints or Andy Dalton and the Cowboys?

The betting odds are going to be all over if we start constantly seeing QB 2s and 3s start against an opponents QB 1. And with how easily and rapidly it spreads... That QB 1 gets very close to the center and both guards as he screams the cadence. Not to mention anyone that sacks him.

The NFL could go from sport to comedy if they keep it up.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2020, 01:39 PM)SladeX Wrote: I think isolation is an option.
"They won't spend that kind of time away from their families "
Military men do it all the time. Maybe set up the bye week as a leave time, with rigorous testing upon re entry.
"They won't risk getting sick"
I do. I actually look at my "essential job" as a blessing, as I  have barely missed a beat.
Perhaps their sense of patriotism could be appealed to. Because our nation could really really use a little normal right now.

I think the whole kneeling during the anthem and appealing to patriotism is in serious conflict.  Athletes kneel to bring attention to social injustice. Until they believe it's over.... I wouldn't think they care about being labeled patriots.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2020, 02:09 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: I think the whole kneeling during the anthem and appealing to patriotism is in serious conflict.  Athletes kneel to bring attention to social injustice. Until they believe it's over.... I wouldn't think they care about being labeled patriots.

I think maybe patriotism a loaded word today.
Sense of community caring about the mental health of the nation type of patriotism. 
< I hate parsing >
So appeal to their sense of duty for the well being of the nation.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2020, 12:31 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: FYI: The MLB is already having testing issues.  4 teams had to cancel practice on Monday because they were still waiting on their test results from the previous Friday.

Well, I suppose that would be no different than a team bus crash injuring 23 players. If they can't take the field, they forfeit. If you're looking for a way to have a "perfect" season with no glitches, it's not going to happen. But, we can have a season none the less. Just consider it the "new Normal" the politicians tout.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2020, 01:27 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: Only 1 of which refers to a person or a nation of people.... And the Spanish Flu was found in America (and wasn't even big in Spain). Being that is was from 1918 it comes from a time where the US was openly racist w/o even trying to acknowledge that fact. So AGAIN it's AMERICA pointing fingers at other people. 

The rest refer to mountains and rivers. And there is no such thing as... Southeast Asia Respiratory Syndrome.... SARS is Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome

It's not vogue, it's eliminating prejudice. And its 2020 it is past due at this date in human evolution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

P.S. If you want to correctly speak about it... The virus is COVID-19 and the illness is SARS-CoV-2. Think of it like HIV is a virus but AIDS is the illness that stems from the infection.

I was taught:

"sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"

Maybe a generational issue, but I live by there is nothing anyone can ever say to me that will hurt me. The idea someone is so weak mentally, words hurt them is foreign to me.

Also, anyone who supports China who lied about a deadly virus costing time to combat it thus killing additional millions of people is repulsive to me. China is a communist country, I feel bad for their people who don't share our freedom of speech. It is not about the Chinese people who are helpless, it is about a Communist Chinese government and you and all should denounce them versus protecting them.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2020, 01:18 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: To be clear, an honest mistake calling it the flu and I do think like the flu can be deadly.

Here is the simple math.

Over 3 million confirmed cases as of today. CDC estimates 10X that number (their number and fact) actually have had it so over 30 million. To date, less than 132 thousand of died. There are arguments both ways of over and under reporting of deaths so who do you believed (no facts, just opinions to date).

So simple math

30,000,000 divided by 132,000 = death rate to date of .23% of those who contracted the virus based on CDC saying 10X number have contracted.

Fact, the death rate is dropping daily as more cases are discovered.
Fact, the death rate of anyone age 65 or under with NO UNDERLYING HEALTH ISSUES is very low.
Fact, death rate of those 85 or older with underlying health condition is much higher than those 85 or under.

This is not propaganda, these are facts. On the other hand, I see you like to throw out your opinion as do others without citing facts.

I am not saying this is not an issue, I am not saying do not do your part. Just the opposite, do your part and wear a mask, social distance and wash your hands. If you have underlying serious health issues and are over 65, by all means keep self quarantining if possible.

When's the last time 30 million Americans got the flu in 3 months? 18/19 was the most ever in a season and it was only 42.9 million.

Distancing has to do with keeping hospitals clear and trying to kill the spread, it has NEVER been about ******* deaths.

WTF do people not understand about that?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2020, 02:51 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I was taught:

"sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"

Maybe a generational issue, but I live by there is nothing anyone can ever say to me that will hurt me. The idea someone is so weak mentally, words hurt them is foreign to me.

Also, anyone who supports China who lied about a deadly virus costing time to combat it thus killing additional millions of people is repulsive to me. China is a communist country, I feel bad for their people who don't share our freedom of speech. It is not about the Chinese people who are helpless, it is about a Communist Chinese government and you and all should denounce them versus protecting them.

So you are saying there is no such thing as "hate-speech"... no derogatory language? You think people are "mentally weak" when they get offended being called names?  EVERY generation alive has had these issues. Whether you were born in 1900 or yesterday.

Let us do a thought experiment... A white male goes around using the "N" word (which I wont say because it is hate-speech). You think that won't offend anyone? And by your own words, you say, that those people who are offended are "mentally weak?"

Lastly. No one is supporting or protecting China by refusing to debase a people over a virus. It is about recognizing social equality and stopping prejudice. We are all human and viruses attack all humans.  AND this is a Bengals board. FOOTBALL > personal politics
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2020, 02:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well, I suppose that would be no different than a team bus crash injuring 23 players. If they can't take the field, they forfeit. If you're looking for a way to have a "perfect" season with no glitches, it's not going to happen. But, we can have a season none the less. Just consider it the "new Normal" the politicians tout.

Or, if it actually gets bad enough that you are pretending it's normal because it's just like "a bus crash injuring 23 players" (IKR, no big deal), you could cancel it.  A season where teams are forced to sit large chunks of rosters is a joke season that absolutely nobody will view as a legitimate competition.  It will be the asterisk of all asterisks.  When was the last time anyone forfeited anything in the NFL?  

What your proposing is an outright false narrative.  There's not a single person here thinking that a "perfect" season as you call it is a possibility.  Most if not all are looking for a way to move forward with something at least reasonably legitimate from a competitive standpoint.  If it's a farce, then scrap it.  I don't want to watch XFL players and jobbers pretending to be NFL players due to attrition.  I did that last year with this team and it sucked.
Reply/Quote
A bus accident injuring 23 players on 1 team (out of 32) is an anomaly. What happens if 20+ players are diagnosed with COVID-19 on 16 different teams?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2020, 02:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well, I suppose that would be no different than a team bus crash injuring 23 players. If they can't take the field, they forfeit. If you're looking for a way to have a "perfect" season with no glitches, it's not going to happen. But, we can have a season none the less. Just consider it the "new Normal" the politicians tout.

Except a mild case of SARS-CoV2 can last 1-2 weeks. Harsher cases can last over 6 weeks.  

Then there is viral shedding where you still have the COVID-19 inside your body as you get rid of all traces of if. That lasts up to 37 days. So even after your are "healthy" you can still infect others because you are "carrying" the virus still. 

So teams that get major infections during the season will most likely lose 5 straight weeks. And that would go with individual players too. That is a lot of unplayed games all around.

Less fans in seats. Huge logistical nightmare over travel arraignments/ TV schedules/ tie breaker algorithm adjustments

https://www.medscape.com/answers/2500114-197467/what-is-the-duration-of-viral-shedding-in-persons-with-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/diagnosed-with-covid-19-what-to-expect
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2020, 03:31 PM)Big Boss Wrote: A bus accident injuring 23 players on one team (out of 32) is an anomaly.  

What happens if 20+ players are diagnosed with COVID-19 on 16 different teams?

No big deal.  Just forfeit.  Or you could sign some bouncers from the local watering hole and throw in a few dudes slinging boxes at Amazon that have some pent-up Al Bundy/Uncle Rico fantasies and happened to play quarterback at Lloyd Memorial or Beechwood their senior year to step in for Burrow for a month.  Totally something everyone wants to watch.
Reply/Quote
The 2020 NFL season will be played en masse on Madden 20. Each player will be playing himself.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2020, 03:34 PM)samhain Wrote: No big deal.  Just forfeit.  Or you could sign some bouncers from the local watering hole and throw in a few dudes slinging boxes at Amazon that have some pent-up Al Bundy/Uncle Rico fantasies and happened to play quarterback at Lloyd Memorial or Beechwood their senior year to step in for Burrow for a month.  Totally something everyone wants to watch.

You forgot about Kurt Warner.... the man went from bagging groceries to winning a Superbowl.
Reply/Quote
The NFL 2020 Week 7 will look like this:

Reply/Quote
(07-08-2020, 03:34 PM)samhain Wrote: No big deal.  Just forfeit.  Or you could sign some bouncers from the local watering hole and throw in a few dudes slinging boxes at Amazon that have some pent-up Al Bundy/Uncle Rico fantasies and happened to play quarterback at Lloyd Memorial or Beechwood their senior year to step in for Burrow for a month.  Totally something everyone wants to watch.

Or, I could be like the rest of you all and just throw my hands up and say there's no way... there's no way. Such pessimism...
Reply/Quote