Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How likely to see NFL
(06-16-2020, 09:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The NHL and NBA have their plans to resume in place though.

MLB is looking more and more like a bust for this season and the NBA is questionable at this point.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-16-2020, 09:45 PM)McC Wrote: The impression I've gotten is that they've tested positive but not actually gotten sick.  There are probably a lot of people in this category.

Yeah I dunno. They were tested for some reason or another. And even those that don't get sick are contagious. What if Zeke (just using him as an example) spreads it to Steve the diabetic strength and conditioning coach during the season.?

They keep saying they weren't believed to have been at team facilities, but who knows? Remember a few years ago when mirsa or staph or whatever it was broke out in the Browns' building? This could be way worse. Even without fans, it's not as simple as rolling out a football and playing a game.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2020, 09:58 PM)jason Wrote: Yeah I dunno. They were tested for some reason or another. And even those that don't get sick are contagious. What if Zeke (just using him as an example) spreads it to Steve the diabetic strength and conditioning coach during the season.?

They keep saying they weren't believed to have been at team facilities, but who knows? Remember a few years ago when mirsa or staph or whatever it was broke out in the Browns' building? This could be way worse. Even without fans, it's not as simple as rolling out a football and playing a game.

And these complications are arising before people are even around each other.  Just wait until they are out there running into each other or sharing locker rooms.

Hell, tennis players don't even want to play.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(06-16-2020, 09:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The NHL and NBA have their plans to resume in place though.

I keep hearing that... But I'm not seeing games on TV. If they pull it off, I'll feel a lil more confident the NFL can too. Again... Don't take my skepticism wrong. I want sports back. I'm fine without them, but dammit it'd be nice to watch a game.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Well look at the bright side. If there’s no season we will be undefeated in Jan! That’s right Who-Dey
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2020, 10:02 PM)McC Wrote: And these complications are arising before people are even around each other.  Just wait until they are out there running into each other or sharing locker rooms.

Hell, tennis players don't even want to play.

Yeah... It's asking a lot. I think some NBA players are baulking at it under different pretexts too. I'm looking at you Kyrie Irving.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2020, 10:05 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Well look at the bright side. If there’s no season we will be undefeated in Jan! That’s right Who-Dey

I say we should get the number one pick next year too.

But Lord... How old will AJ Green be next season on that franchise tag? THREE years (give or take) since he last played.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2020, 10:05 PM)jason Wrote: Yeah... It's asking a lot. I think some NBA players are baulking at it under different pretexts too. I'm looking at you Kyrie Irving.

Weird how a guy who won't be playing either way is trying to lead a  movement to not play.  He's never been a team guy anyway and never will be.  He cost my Celtics a whole year in their development.

Reply/Quote
(06-16-2020, 10:07 PM)jason Wrote: I say we should get the number one pick next year too.

But Lord... How old will AJ Green be next season on that franchise tag? THREE years (give or take) since he last played.

I’ve been wondering how the NFL would handle that. I would imagine college wouldn’t have a season either so there would be no draft. But I would be cool with the draft order the same.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2020, 10:04 PM)jason Wrote: I keep hearing that... But I'm not seeing games on TV. If they pull it off, I'll feel a lil more confident the NFL can too. Again... Don't take my skepticism wrong. I want sports back. I'm fine without them, but dammit it'd be nice to watch a game.

I don’t follow the NBA, so I don’t know the details there, but the NHL has players returning to “camp” on 7/10, and then at the end of July they will have a play-in style tournament to determine the playoff teams. The only thing I think that hasn’t been determined yet is the hub cities for the games. No fans of course.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-16-2020, 10:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t follow the NBA, so I don’t know the details there, but the NHL has players returning to “camp” on 7/10, and then at the end of July they will have a play-in style tournament to determine the playoff teams. The only thing I think that hasn’t been determined yet is the hub cities for the games. No fans of course.

I'd love to see it. I haven't paid much attention to the Reds since 2014, but I'd be all over watching them play the Phillies in a meaningless game right now. I love playoff hockey too, so I hope they pull it off.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2020, 10:12 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I’ve been wondering how the NFL would handle that. I would imagine college wouldn’t have a season either so there would be no draft. But I would be cool with the draft order the same.

Yeah. In reality I'd assume there is no draft next year, but we can dream of the double dip at number 1. Hey other 31 teams... Now accepting offers for Trevor Lawrence.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2020, 10:11 PM)McC Wrote: Weird how a guy who won't be playing either way is trying to lead a  movement to not play.  He's never been a team guy anyway and never will be.  He cost my Celtics a whole year in their development.

Yeah .. Kyrie is something else. He was putting out that flat earth stuff a while back. He's butted heads with teammates at every stop, and teamed up with Durant who is moody to say the least too... But let's not forget the Nets had a mini outbreak including KD a couple a months ago. Maybe he just doesn't want the season to go on under these circumstances.

There's some weird bylaw that the Lakers would be declared champs if the season is cancelled. Something to do with best record since January 1 or the all star break... I can't remember. Just what LeBron needs; an asterisk championship.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2020, 10:31 PM)jason Wrote: Yeah. In reality I'd assume there is no draft next year, but we can dream of the double dip at number 1. Hey other 31 teams... Now accepting offers for Trevor Lawrence.

Or just keep it and grab Sewell...

Reply/Quote
(06-16-2020, 10:04 PM)jason Wrote: I keep hearing that... But I'm not seeing games on TV. If they pull it off, I'll feel a lil more confident the NFL can too. Again... Don't take my skepticism wrong. I want sports back. I'm fine without them, but dammit it'd be nice to watch a game.

I was really struggling without live sport, we are very lucky over here to have some sport back. I actually entered a draw today to be able to be one of the 120 people that attends my teams game this weekend, fingers crosses.
Reply/Quote
Little late to the party, but if it's reduced capacity, how are they going to handle seat licenses? Thanks for the cash, but you only get to go to even week home games?
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2020, 03:13 AM)Benton Wrote: Little late to the party, but if it's reduced capacity, how are they going to handle seat licenses? Thanks for the cash, but you only get to go to even week home games?

Over here in Australia, season tickets are called memberships and when the competition shutdown in March they asked for people to pledge their memberships. Now we are looking at reduced capacity games after having 3 weeks of no crowds. The reduced capacity games start for my team this weekend with 120 people allowed to attend and the club is going to draw members who have pledged out of a hat to attend on Saturday night. We are looking at 25% capacity limits starting next month, so I guess most clubs will move their games to the biggest possible stadium and have around 20000 people attend.

Just showing an example of what is happening here in this regard.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2020, 09:45 PM)McC Wrote: The impression I've gotten is that they've tested positive but not actually gotten sick.  There are probably a lot of people in this category.

Probably 30% to 40% of the players could be asymptomatic ... which is what the experts estimate the asymptomatic general population is.

But there are 2 larger issues.

The first is that one or more players test positive than must be quarantined for 14 days. Not too serious if the player is on the PS. Big deal if the player is a starter.

The second is more serious. This disease can do SERIOUS DAMAGE to the lungs, heart, etc. What happens if a couple of starters get sick enough to have their careers ended?
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2020, 04:07 AM)AussieBengal Wrote: Over here in Australia, season tickets are called memberships and when the competition shutdown in March they asked for people to pledge their memberships. Now we are looking at reduced capacity games after having 3 weeks of no crowds. The reduced capacity games start for my team this weekend with 120 people allowed to attend and the club is going to draw members who have pledged out of a hat to attend on Saturday night. We are looking at 25% capacity limits starting next month, so I guess most clubs will move their games to the biggest possible stadium and have around 20000 people attend.

Just showing an example of what is happening here in this regard.

I don't have the wisdom to know what the owners should do but I bet it's a variation on the airline industry.  That bunch is handling 10's of thousands of people everyday.  What they are doing is minimizing seating, service and amenities and doing it while using $50 billion in federal support which expires as of October 1, 2020.  Basically the Feds are paying 100% airline payrolls this summer.  The pro teams have to go begging in DC.
Ideally in my perfect world, the NFL would follow airline policy and mandate everybody wears a mask and skip every other seat.
Also stop the ban on BYOB and coolers!
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2020, 11:43 AM)bengals1969 Wrote: I don't have the wisdom to know what the owners should do but I bet it's a variation on the airline industry.  That bunch is handling 10's of thousands of people everyday.  What they are doing is minimizing seating, service and amenities and doing it while using $50 billion in federal support which expires as of October 1, 2020.  Basically the Feds are paying 100% airline payrolls this summer.  The pro teams have to go begging in DC.
Ideally in my perfect world, the NFL would follow airline policy and mandate everybody wears a mask and skip every other seat.
Also stop the ban on BYOB and coolers!

We don't have anywhere near the rate of infection over here and have had the season suspended for 9 weeks, and now 3 weeks of no crowds. The local sporting competitions here have brought in very strict biosecurity protocols. 

Our airline industry has pretty much shutdown with one carrier already going bust despite receiving government assisitance.
Reply/Quote