Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long until this board realizes Guenther road Zimmera coat tails
(10-04-2016, 12:29 AM)OBX Bengal Wrote: When Mike Zimmer left, didn't he try to recruit Paul Guenther to Minnesota to be his defensive coordinator?

Guenther may not be as good as Zimmer, but he seems pretty good.

I think our problem so far this year is that we lost several good players and coaches.

I think this new team will continue to "gel" and get better.  Plus, Burfict is back and Eifert should soon follow.

This^

Guenther is a very good coach, but not Zim. There's only one of those unfortunately.
The defense is solid as is and will continue to improve as the season goes on (provided they stay healthy). The offense (and specifically the o line) is the real issue that has me worried right now. Fix that and this team will really take off
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2016, 10:05 PM)Alleyviper13 Wrote: Very serious question

Who cares what he rode as long as the defense continues to play well?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Hmmm.

Homers gon homer
Reply/Quote
Front Geunt
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2016, 08:32 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Front Geunt

I'll 2nd whatever the F this ^ means.
Reply/Quote
Hmmm.

Homers gon homer
Reply/Quote
Knew it from the moment we promoted him. Jim Schwartz made way to much sense. Tied for Marvin, previously very successful DC. Nah, let's promote Paulie G and watch our defense regress.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Anyone watch a Minnesota game this year? That team is ballin' in every phase of the game with far less talent than Cincinnati has.
Reply/Quote
^^^^------thank you

[Image: l_2792eba8bef1e5d47df7e0206dee495a.gif]

No one wants to post in here bc when i first made this thread people have always wanted to crucify me for my thoughts on Guenther and the defense without Zimmer

How hard is it to realize Guenther is in way over his head? Always has been, we got lucky because we had senior players on defense like Leon Hall and Reggie Nelson to lead after Zimmer left..

No Zimmer
No Hall
No Nelson

Baby phat Guenther
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 12:29 AM)OBX Bengal Wrote: When Mike Zimmer left, didn't he try to recruit Paul Guenther to Minnesota to be his defensive coordinator?

Guenther may not be as good as Zimmer, but he seems pretty good.

I think our problem so far this year is that we lost several good players and coaches.

I think this new team will continue to "gel" and get better.  Plus, Burfict is back and Eifert should soon follow.
What????????????????? They haven't gelled. PERIOD!
Reply/Quote
Guenther has even gone away from essential elements of the scheme that made our D successful. For example, Zimmer's coverage preference was tight man by a wide margin. The idea being that tight man causes pass plays to develop a little slower (waiting for a receiver to come open) which gives the DL more time to get to the QB. Paulie naturally goes to mostly soft zone which has the entirely predictable effect of receivers quickly sitting in zones meaning the DL needs to get to the QB that much quicker.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2016, 11:22 PM)Joelist Wrote: Guenther has even gone away from essential elements of the scheme that made our D successful. For example, Zimmer's coverage preference was tight man by a wide margin. The idea being that tight man causes pass plays to develop a little slower (waiting for a receiver to come open) which gives the DL more time to get to the QB. Paulie naturally goes to mostly soft zone which has the entirely predictable effect of receivers quickly sitting in zones meaning the DL needs to get to the QB that much quicker.

This guy is 100% correct

Joelist has never been more correrct. 
Reply/Quote
I just remember three or four Bengals going up to Zimmer when we were scrimmaging them (Vikes) before the season, saying it's never been the same since you left. I think it was Maualuga, Dunlap or MJ, and someone else.
Reply/Quote
Maybe it's just me, but I think we need to go back to playing tight man coverage including bump at the line. Identify the top receiver and double them if need be. And bring Williams up to help against the run. And on the line get away from being so freaking vanilla and get back to twisting and stunting.

Really I'd rather lose because our secondary gets beat in man coverage then die a death of slow bleeding as wide open receivers catch passes from QBs under no pressure.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2016, 10:51 PM)treee Wrote: Well I mean Zimmer is probably one of the best defensive minds in the entire football world, so Guenther had some big shoes to fill.

And we let him walk away.  We were all screaming for MB to find a way to keep him and make him HC, but he wouldn't.  
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 01:48 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: And we let him walk away.  We were all screaming for MB to find a way to keep him and make him HC, but he wouldn't.  

i wasn't but i was scaaaareeeming to keep hue as OC for the next 2 then promote. that's the only real promotion we had. zim was gone and we were not going to be able to keep him.
Reply/Quote
Guenther is such a good DC that Miek Zimmer tried to get him to come to MInn with him.

We had one of our best defenses ever last year under Guenther, and Zimmer had been gone two years at that time.

This is Guenthers 3rd year as our DC and in Zimmer's third year as Bengals DC we dropped from #6 in scoring defense to #24.

Is Guenther as good as Zimmer? I don't think so.

Was he just some bum "riding Zimmers coattails? Definitely not.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2016, 10:50 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: He got away. And we're stuck with Marv who looks like he stands over a box of donuts wagging his finger and saying, "Don't mind if I do."*

*Stolen from Dan LeBetard.

Literally the only good part of that show.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Gunther plays way more zone and blitzes way more predictably than Zimmer did. Also Gunther LOVES to go full coverage and only rush 3 or 4. Zimmer put MJ and Dunlap in pass defense every once in a while but Gunther seems to think his defensive lineman are cornerbacks.

Zimmer could go 2man under one play and then send 7 or 8 at the QB the next play. Gunther is usually ALWAYS gonna only send 5 when he does blitz. And his blitz is usually gonna come at a point where a knowledgable fan at home could predict it. I called 2 or 3 blitzes out in the 2 quarters I could stomach to watch.

Both DC's rely heavily on their linebackers to cover the middle and corners to cover the outside WRs with no help. I don't think you can blame Shawn William's play on Gunther. Reggie Nelson is the better football player so naturally you have to expect him to
do better. Also Zim didn't have any reservations about blitzing a safety. Nelson came in a lot and killed QBs. Seems like Gunther is scared to death to blitz Shawn Williams
Reply/Quote
Defense plays like shit. How long until Pauline G isn't a good D.C.
Reply/Quote