Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How many are tired of ......
Watching AJ nursing another tweak or injury? I know I will take some heat on this post but here we go again with another yr of ..."will he be ready week after week?" Or ...or please admit your tired of that china doll feeling like everytime he gets hit he will be leaving on a cart. The dude was amazing 5 yrs ago but i'm afraid the wheels are falling off the sports car and i'm just glad they drafted the "nex gen" AJ in Tee Higgs. Time to usher in the new generation of WRs with Burrow. Its a business and he is pulling in some major $ on his tag yr that could have been used on a few other good FA signings (OT, LB ,TE, G).
Reply/Quote
5 years ago? He was balling out as recently as 2018. 46 rec 694 yds 6 TD in 9 games.

Also, we’ve already tagged him for this season, so regardless how you feel about him moving forward, all we can do is hope for the best this year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
It's August why rush AJ at this point of the season? He is easily worth the risk.
In 2016 he was on pace for 1700 yards and in 2018 he was on pace for 1300 yards and 12 TDs. When healthy the guy is a top 10 WR he just needs to beat the fluke Injury bug.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2020, 09:32 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Watching AJ nursing another tweak or injury? I know I will take some heat on this post but here we go again with another yr of ..."will he be ready week after week?" Or ...or please admit your tired of that china doll feeling like everytime he gets hit he will be leaving on a cart. The dude was amazing 5 yrs ago but i'm afraid the wheels are falling off the sports car and i'm just glad they drafted the "nex gen" AJ in Tee Higgs.  Time to usher in the new generation of WRs with Burrow. Its a business and he is pulling in some major $ on his tag yr that could have been used on a few other good FA signings (OT, LB ,TE, G).

You mean the same Tee Higgins who has been sitting out... with a hamstring injury?

And he's hardly "nursing" an injury. He's running all out, full speed. It's the coaches holding him out. 
Reply/Quote
Chad Johnson spoiled us.

WTS, as the trade deadline nears and we are out of the race. I can see a departure.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Wuss couldn’t even handle 10 years in the NFL, what a bum! Ninja
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2020, 09:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: 5 years ago? He was balling out as recently as 2018. 46 rec 694 yds 6 TD in 9 games.

Yeah, and in 2018 he got hurt and missed a lot time.

The last time AJ Green was actually an elite receiver, over the entirety of a season, was all the way back in 2015.  He hasn't sniffed top 10 production since.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2020, 09:32 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Watching AJ nursing another tweak or injury? I know I will take some heat on this post but here we go again with another yr of ..."will he be ready week after week?" Or ...or please admit your tired of that china doll feeling like everytime he gets hit he will be leaving on a cart. The dude was amazing 5 yrs ago but i'm afraid the wheels are falling off the sports car and i'm just glad they drafted the "nex gen" AJ in Tee Higgs.  Time to usher in the new generation of WRs with Burrow. Its a business and he is pulling in some major $ on his tag yr that could have been used on a few other good FA signings (OT, LB ,TE, G).

Agree 100%.

Making this guy the 2nd highest paid receiver this season is beyond stupid.  He has no long-term future here, and investing that amount of dollars in a rebuilding year make little to no sense.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2020, 10:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: WTS, as the trade deadline nears and we are out of the race. I can see a departure.

I hope you're right.  I will do cartwheels if we can get some legitimate value back via trade.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't say i'm "tired" of it, but I do find it concerning that he can't go a few days without getting injured somehow.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2020, 10:59 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: I wouldn't say i'm "tired" of it, but I do find it concerning that he can't go a few days without getting injured somehow.

This I’ll agree with. It really does suck. I had a good feeling he was going to finally shake the injury bug, and have some better luck this year, but it didn’t last very long.

That said, it’s just camp. And he’s a vet. I seriously doubt he’s going to be absolutely lost out there come game day.

Reply/Quote

AJ should have left with Andy. It was the best thing to do.  AJ is up there with CHAD in Bengal WR elites but... if he flops, I wouldn't even be upset anymore. If he turns into the AJ we know, well then, he's back to his normal AJ. The only people really happy to see AJ are those that wanted him to retire as a Bengal, their wish may just come true.

I rather have decent players that play weekly than elite players that are benched with injuries all the time.  Getting rid of our injury prone TE finally happened. Great when healthy, but mostly injured and unproductive.

I'd still trade AJ with a good offer.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 12:27 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: AJ should have left with Andy. It was the best thing to do.  AJ is up there with CHAD in Bengal WR elites but... if he flops, I wouldn't even be upset anymore. If he turns into the AJ we know, well then, he's back to his normal AJ. The only people really happy to see AJ are those that wanted him to retire as a Bengal, their wish may just come true.

I rather have decent players that play weekly than elite players that are benched with injuries all the time.  Getting rid of our injury prone TE finally happened. Great when healthy, but mostly injured and unproductive.

I'd still trade AJ with a good offer.

WhoDey2  I was a big proponent of tagging AJ. I'm quickly coming around to the bolded. Can we at least get a whole week of practice once in a while???
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
AJ's record over the past 3-4 years isn't what he'd want it to be. We all know that. I don't doubt his work ethic at all. I don't doubt his commitment to this organization. Sometimes bad things just happen to good people. I hope he can come back, stay healthy, have an AJ kind of season, earn another contract, and retire as a Bengal on his own terms. That's all I got to say. Not giving energy to anything else.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote

Time will tell if it was a smart move to tag Green who held back to go free agent. Players don't like the tag.  Bengals pick 33 in round 2 was a WR.   That is like a Round 1 WR.   Bengals are not as loaded at WR and TE as some Bengals think.  I've seen better, a lot better,  They could use this pick 33 to be worth high pick.  They also need to the high pick TE last year to be more than a back-up meat wagon.  
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
It's a freak unprecedented camp with compressed schedules and no pre season. He tweaked a hamstring. Receivers do that (see Tee Higgins and John Ross). He is being held out by Taylor because "why rush him" He'll be ready game one to shut his doubters up.

*Not practicing due to minor injuries:
Joe Mixon
Carl Lawson
Carlos Dunlap
Jordan Evans

But let's bust on AJ.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2020, 10:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Chad Johnson spoiled us.

WTS, as the trade deadline nears and we are out of the race. I can see a departure.

That is very true about Chad.  I think the team is being smart and being cautious.  As everyone on here described in the "who you would rather have for 16 games" thread, AJ changes the way teams defend the Bengals.  So does Ross.  The Bengals know this.  Just having them both out there will open things up for the TEs, Boyd, and the RBs.  

Green is in a tough spot as if he is unable to stay on the field this year, he will in no way be getting anything close to $18 million per moving forward, even for three seasons.  I would like to see Green get his final contract here and retire a Bengal and, hopefully, go to the HOF.  This is a big season for that.  
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2020, 10:52 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Agree 100%.

Making this guy the 2nd highest paid receiver this season is beyond stupid.  He has no long-term future here, and investing that amount of dollars in a rebuilding year make little to no sense.

Makes a ton of sense.  Tag him for one year and make sure you have an elite cast around Burrow so he can settle in to the NFL.
Reply/Quote
By no means do I want them to rush him back before the injury is healed, but at the same time I don't like the either of holding him out for the rest of camp either. The guy needs to keep those muscles loose and conditioned. Otherwise we're going to be right back here again when the regular season starts.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 10:50 AM)Big Boss Wrote: By no means do I want them to rush him back before the injury is healed, but at the same time I don't like the either of holding him out for the rest of camp either.  The guy needs to keep those muscles loose and conditioned.  Otherwise we're going to be right back here again when the regular season starts.

He's not sitting in a Lazy Boy, he's working, he's just not participating in the 7 on 7's and 11 on 11's...
Reply/Quote