Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
How many great teams have 3 2nd Round RB's drafted within the past 5 years?
(12-04-2017, 10:13 AM)PDub80 Wrote: This is a 100% FALSE Narrative.

Let's be honest here, the O-line needs a major makeover from it's most recent makeover. That's not a secret secret and no one who watches the Bengals should argue that. But, Jeremy Hill, who was drafted to be an AFC North type main back, ended up being a disaster after one strong (just over) 1/2 rookie season and Bernard is not going to be a bell cow. He just isn't. Play maker, yes. Main back NO. Even with a strong O-Line Hill played his own part of "the real issue" by stinking it up for the last several seasons. BJGE wasn't particularly dynamic in the play-making department, and neither was Benson before him. Both of those guys made Rudi Johnson (a plodder himself) look like Eric Dickerson by comparison.

The problems in the run game were not JUST O-line problems. They corrected the RB issue with the drafting of Mixon. Mistake corrected.

Back to the "We don't draft O-line high gripe". The Bengals DID and HAVE drafted O-Line high. The last 2 are serious messes. The Bengals missed on that. The one before them, Zeitler, was a hit, but he got a huge payday with $60MILLION from the Browns. Do you know what types of teams give $60million to guards? Dumbass teams like the Browns. The Bengals have shown to give big paydays to their own players along the line... ESPECIALLY offensive linemen. In the Marvin era: Levi Jones, Whitworth was paid and extended several times, and Willie Anderson.

The idea that the Bengals don't draft linemen or don't pay them is sour grapes from some picks that didn't work out. They will correct it, just like they did with RB.

How can you say that the issue was indeed the RB's and then say mistake corrected with Mixon when he averages 3.2 ypc?

The Bengals draft and pay Tackles. Guards and Centers...not so much.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 12:45 AM)Synric Wrote: Which free agent offensive linemen do you think they should target this offseason?

I'd target a guy like Andrew Norwell who is from Cincinnati and played at Ohio State. He's a pretty good Guard that shouldn't break the bank.

I'd likely draft a Center.

Then at Tackle...I'd probably keep Smith on a 2 year contract...then I don't know. There aren't a lot of good Tackles in free agency.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 10:15 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...and they allowed the Guard to leave in free agency.

Also, when was the last time they invested highly in a Center?

No team in their right mind would have paid a guard 5 years and $60million. Letting Zeitler go was the right thing to do.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 10:22 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd target a guy like Andrew Norwell who is from Cincinnati and played at Ohio State. He's a pretty good Guard that shouldn't break the bank.

I'd likely draft a Center.

Then at Tackle...I'd probably keep Smith on a 2 year contract...then I don't know. There aren't a lot of good Tackles in free agency.

Norwell is probably the best lineman that's going to be available in free agency in 2018. That's means he's going to targeted by quite a few teams including the one he's already on.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 10:19 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: How can you say that the issue was indeed the RB's and then say mistake corrected with Mixon when he averages 3.2 ypc?

The Bengals draft and pay Tackles. Guards and Centers...not so much.

1st: I 100% agree with you that the offensive line needs majorly addressed. I just disagree with the drafting of Mixon in the 2nd as a bad choice during this past draft when O line was the weakest part of the entire class. the Bengals needed an impact player there and, Mixon - an outstanding talent, was there when outstanding O line talent wasn't.

Running Back being an issue....
After watching Jeremy Hill behind a good O Line avg. 3.6 (2015) & 3.8 (2016) ypc how can you not think that the running back wasn't getting things done? If Joe Mixon is averaging 3.2 behind this horrible line, he should be able to avg. much more with a good one. Hill regressed as a runner over a two year period. It was plain to see at training camp, and the runs Mixon makes vs. Hill... there's no comparing them.

Also, Mixon as a rookie might eclipse Jeremey Hill's CAREER receiving yards in one season. He's just a much better runner and play maker than Hill could have been. As I stated above, the talent of Mixon >>>>>>> any o linemen in the 2017 NFL draft.

Regarding interior O-Line money....
Look at the avg pay for a right guard and look at Zeitler at the top. Most team's do not pay a guard that much.

https://overthecap.com/position/right-guard/ Look at the guaranteed money compared to the other right guards. It's NUTS and not something the Bengals should have done. The browns did it because they have to to get players.

Same thing with left guard

https://overthecap.com/position/left-guard/

And Center

https://overthecap.com/position/center/

After the 4th or 5th highest contracts for all of those positions, the money drop off is HUGE. Really good linemen can and should be drafted and developed. That's how the Cowboys did it and their line was outstanding. But, guess what... they still took Zeke Eliot because a plain old plodder (Hill) isn't going to make special things happen.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 09:24 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Generally when teams can't run the ball, they draft Centers and Guards high...Tackles too.

The Bengals blame the RB and keep drafting more and don't address Center or Guard!  Hilarious

Having 3 2nd Round RB's on a roster drafted within the past 5 years is pretty crazy and a waste of resources.

I mentioned in another thread, but the Colts used to try the same strategy the Bengals are doing...draft RBs early because they thought the problem was the RB rather than the OL.
The Colts used a first rounder on Joseph Addai in 2006 and another first rounder on Donald Brown in 2009.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 12:28 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Regarding interior O-Line money....
Look at the avg pay for a right guard and look at Zeitler at the top. Most team's do not pay a guard that much.

https://overthecap.com/position/right-guard/ Look at the guaranteed money compared to the other right guards. It's NUTS and not something the Bengals should have done. The browns did it because they have to to get players.

And Center

After the 4th or 5th highest contracts for all of those positions, the money drop off is HUGE. Really good linemen can and should be drafted and developed. That's how the Cowboys did it and their line was outstanding. But, guess what... they still took Zeke Eliot because a plain old plodder (Hill) isn't going to make special things happen.

Clint Boiling is the 10th highest paid Left guard. The next four guys above him make less than a million more per season.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 12:08 PM)PDub80 Wrote: No team in their right mind would have paid a guard 5 years and $60million. Letting Zeitler go was the right thing to do.

Had the Steelers allowed DeCastro to hit free agency...what do you think he would have got? Possibly more than 5 years and $60 million.

The Steelers worked out an extension. The Bengals reportedly low-balled Zeitler. There is likely no way that the Bengals would have given him $9-10 million a year.

And there were other free agent Guards out there worth signing...that the Bengals didn't pursue.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 12:28 PM)PDub80 Wrote: 1st: I 100% agree with you that the offensive line needs majorly addressed. I just disagree with the drafting of Mixon in the 2nd as a bad choice during this past draft when O line was the weakest part of the entire class. the Bengals needed an impact player there and, Mixon - an outstanding talent, was there when outstanding O line talent wasn't.

Running Back being an issue....
After watching Jeremy Hill behind a good O Line avg. 3.6 (2015) & 3.8 (2016) ypc how can you not think that the running back wasn't getting things done? If Joe Mixon is averaging 3.2 behind this horrible line, he should be able to avg. much more with a good one. Hill regressed as a runner over a two year period. It was plain to see at training camp, and the runs Mixon makes vs. Hill... there's no comparing them.

Also, Mixon as a rookie might eclipse Jeremey Hill's CAREER receiving yards in one season. He's just a much better runner and play maker than Hill could have been. As I stated above, the talent of Mixon >>>>>>> any o linemen in the 2017 NFL draft.

Regarding interior O-Line money....

And Center

I'm not directly saying that Mixon was a mistake...but drafting 3 2nd Round RB's in 5 years is a waste of picks. Now whether they don't draft Hill and go with a Guard or Center can be debated.

Who says our offensive line was good in 2016? Our line is regarded as below average last year by many on this board.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 12:47 PM)Synric Wrote: Clint Boiling is the 10th highest paid Left guard. The next four guys above him make less than a million more per season.

Then if you have no intention of keeping Zeitler...you draft another Guard high.

There are direct quotes on Bengals.com about how they don't think that Guards and Centers win enough games to pay them highly.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 01:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Then if you have no intention of keeping Zeitler...you draft another Guard high.

There are direct quotes on Bengals.com about how they don't think that Guards and Centers win enough games to pay them highly.

And yet here's Clint Boiling making top 10 LG money. Bobbie Williams was one of the highest paid guards in football.

There's also Direct Quotes about how great Armon Binns and Brandon Tate look. How Coles or TO signings were going to take them to the next level.

I mean seriously the guy didn't get thr nickname Hobspin for nothing...

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 01:58 PM)Synric Wrote: And yet here's Clint Boiling making top 10 LG money. Bobbie Williams was one of the highest paid guards in football.

There's also Direct Quotes about how great Armon Binns and Brandon Tate look. How Coles or TO signings were going to take them to the next level.

I mean seriously the guy didn't get thr nickname Hobspin for nothing...

I'm sure that Hobson wouldn't make up negative Bengal stories on Bengals.com. His mo is spinning things the opposite direction.
Reply/Quote