Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many owners would keep a coach who hasn't won a playoff game in 16 years?
Hue is Poo.

Hue will be the next Dave Shula.

And to quote what my wife tells me virtually every week 'You really need to find a new team to follow'
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 12:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly, IF Marvin was hired by the Steelers...he probably wins a Super Bowl or 2.

IF Tomlin is hired here, he probably has similar results.

The Steelers have a winning culture. You assimilate players in and they have swagger on defense just by putting those uniforms on. Here, a guy like Malik Jefferson rides the bench as a rookie. There, he's seeing snaps and probably making plays.

I highly doubt Marvin would have won a SB with the Steelers.  Tomlin's teams tend to play up or down to the level of their competition.  That means they sometimes struggle with crap teams, but they can beat anybody on a given Sunday. Marvin's teams almost universally fold in big spots, hence his abysmal primetime record.
Reply/Quote
In NFL history, 20 coaches have coached at least 16 seasons and appeared in 7 or more postseasons. 

Of those 20...18 have at least 5 postseason wins.

The 19th coach only had 2 postseason wins, but both were NFL Championships.

Marvin continues to truly defy the odds.  
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 04:11 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: In NFL history, 20 coaches have coached at least 16 seasons and appeared in 7 or more postseasons. 

Of those 20...18 have at least 5 postseason wins.

The 19th coach only had 2 postseason wins, but both were NFL Championships.

Marvin continues to truly defy the odds.  

Yep. No owner outside of MB would tolerate 0-7 in the playoffs. Yet it seems he fears losing Marvin.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2018, 02:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. No owner outside of MB would tolerate 0-7 in the playoffs. Yet it seems he fears losing Marvin.

He fears losing him because he is submissive and he knows a good coach would not be. Again, he likes comfort.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2018, 02:16 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: He fears losing him because he is submissive and he knows a good coach would not be. Again, he likes comfort.

Well a guy like Zimmer or some brash coach would come in here and probably publicize some of the weird ways the Bengals operate too.

Like the 90's when players had cheap towels and the players had to bring their own or when they shared jock straps. This would totally be in the media more today.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:05 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: How many owners would keep a GM who hasn't won a playoff game in 26+ years?

How many owners would keep a coach who hasn't won a playoff game in 16+ years and was 0-7 in the playoffs. Some of those losses being with a superior roster? How many owners would keep a coach who is owned by the Steelers?

Only This Guy

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

** BTW this picture was taken while Mike was filming the Goonies, as "Sloth"**
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2018, 02:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. No owner outside of MB would tolerate 0-7 in the playoffs. Yet it seems he fears losing Marvin.

Yeah, it really is crazy, and just look at his history with the coaches he's hired:

He gave Dave Shula a 2 year extension after going 8-24 in his first couple of seasons, and didn't fire him until he had lost 73% of his games and had turned the Bengals into the butt of every NFL joke.

He tried to talk Bruce Coslet out of quitting, even after a 7-28 stretch where they were just getting embarrassed week after week. 

He let LeBeau walk after his contract expired following a 2 win season, but didn't sound all that crazy about doing so, as he insisted the season had been 'competitive' and 'better than their record'...stating ''I can say the things I'm saying, and really nobody wants to hear them. I can believe it, but no one else cares." I honestly wonder if LeBeau had another year left on his contract, if Mike would've brought him back.

And then there's Marvin, who was re-signed after going 60-67-1 in his first 8 seasons and after 2016, when he was 0-7 in the playoffs and coming off back to back losing seasons. That's not counting all the extensions in between, especially the head scratching ones after the Chargers and Steelers meltdowns.

Mike is insanely loyal to his coaches, even if it's to the obvious detriment of the team.
Reply/Quote