Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How many steelers fans pretend...
... their fathers were eagles fans and jump ship like the bandwagon pieces of garbage they know they are?

Fly eagles fly around the NFL now right?

Trash people have a new home they can't identify on a map.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
You stayed up until midnight to post this smack? Hilarious
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 12:57 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: ... their fathers were eagles fans and jump ship like the bandwagon pieces of garbage they know they are?

Not near as many as the number of Bengals fans who root for ANY team that can beat the Steelers....or win a playoff game.  Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
I will be taking no further questions at this time.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 12:57 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: ... their fathers were eagles fans and jump ship like the bandwagon pieces of garbage they know they are?

For the most part I’d say Steeler fans rooted for the Eagles in EXACTLY the same way that you root for whoever plays the Steelers in the playoffs.

Seriously, I have never met a fan of ANY team who switched loyalties on the basis of one Super Bowl win. That's just dumb.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 12:57 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: ... their fathers were eagles fans 
Funfact not worth knowing #257

Actually, it's entirely possible that their fathers, ok grandfathers,  WERE Eagles fans...at least for one year back in the mid 40's. Both teams lost so many of their players to the war effort,  the Steelers and Eagles combined the two teams and created the Steagles.   They went 5-4 and it was the very first winning season for Philly, and only the second one for Pgh.  They went back to two separate teams the next year. 
Reply/Quote
Except for their fans who live in and around Pittsburgh.

They are all band wagoners anyway and not a family tradition most likely.

If so ? Then their daddy was a band wagoner too probably.

My very best friend is a steeler fan. But he is from the area and all his family still resides there.

Can understand that, but 95% jumped on.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 01:50 PM)BMK Wrote: Funfact not worth knowing #257

Actually, it's entirely possible that their fathers, ok grandfathers,  WERE Eagles fans...at least for one year back in the mid 40's. Both teams lost so many of their players to the war effort,  the Steelers and Eagles combined the two teams and created the Steagles.   They went 5-4 and it was the very first winning season for Philly, and only the second one for Pgh.  They went back to two separate teams the next year. 

And Art Rooney also OWNED the Eagles...for a brief period of time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Rooney#Pittsburgh_Steelers

Quote:In 1936, Rooney won a parlay at Saratoga Race Course, which netted him about $160,000. He used the winnings to hire a coach, Joe Bach, give contracts to his players and almost win a championship. The winnings funded the team until 1941 when he sold the franchise to NY playboy Alex Thompson. Thompson wanted to move the franchise to Boston so he could be within a five-hour train ride of his club. At the same time, the Philadelphia Eagles ran into financial problems. Rooney used the funds from the sale of franchise to get a 70% interest in the Eagles, the other 30% held by Rooney friend and future NFL commissioner, Bert Bell. Bell and Rooney agreed to trade places with Thompson. Bell took the role of President of the Steelers that he relinquished to Rooney in 1946 when Bell became Commissioner. Rooney got his good friend and his sister's father in law, Barney McGinley, to buy Bell's shares. Barney's son Jack, Art's brother in law, retained the McGinley interest that passed to his heirs when he died in 2006.[6]
[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Rooney#cite_note-6][/url]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 01:57 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Can understand that, but 95% jumped on.

BINGO.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 12:57 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: ... their fathers were eagles fans and jump ship like the bandwagon pieces of garbage they know they are?

I jumped on their bandwagon for one night only. I can't stand the Patriots. It's funny that a Bengals fan who always jump on the bandwagon of the team facing the Steelers in the playoffs would suddenly act like it's wrong for the Steelers fans to do the same thing with the Patriots.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 10:08 PM)Captain Obvious Wrote: I jumped on their bandwagon for one night only. I can't stand the Patriots. It's funny that a Bengals fan who always jump on the bandwagon of the team facing the Steelers in the playoffs would suddenly act like it's wrong for the Steelers fans to do the same thing with the Patriots.

Well, that's a fantastic view to your personal interworkings, however most of the NFL watching Nation all jumped on the "anti-Patriots" bandwagon, this time.

As for me?  Did I enjoy watching the "evil empire" get thwarted in their usual comeback attempt?  Hell yeah!

Do I typically pull for any team playing the Steelers?  Hell yeah! (that's what rivalry is all about)

Are some of my closest and most trusted friends in life Steeler fans?  Yes.  Do they make fun of me for holding onto the Bengals?  Absolutely.  Do our fishing trips together become more or less fun as a result of either teams success or failure?  Hell no!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Speaking of bandwagoners, I know a guy who became a Steelers fan after living in Western PA for several years. he's a special case that almost makes me wonder if his switch was forgivable: he'd been a Browns fan all his life. LOL
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 09:09 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Speaking of bandwagoners, I know a guy who became a Steelers fan after living in Western PA for several years.   he's a special case that almost makes me wonder if his switch was forgivable: he'd been a Browns fan all his life.  LOL

I have a hard time figuring out how you switch.  I mean if you could, ten or so teams wouldn't have any fans.  If I could come up with a formula I'd be a billionaire.  I can see fading out on your team, but not choosing another.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 10:32 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I have a hard time figuring out how you switch.  I mean if you could, ten or so teams wouldn't have any fans.  If I could come up with a formula I'd be a billionaire.  I can see fading out on your team, but not choosing another.

I didn't switch from the Steelers (and I think I've told this before) but back in high school, maybe sophomore year so around 84-85, a friend and I decided to pick one awful team and start rooting for them so if they ever won we could say we weren't "bandwagon fans" .

He picked the Jets.  I picked the Saints.  I already had an autographed (reproduction) of Archie Manning that I had gotten years earlier so it seemed a good fit.

After a couple decades of cheering for them it obviously wasn't just a joke anymore.  I really am a Saints fan.  And a couple years before they won their super bowl we got new neighbors and she was from Louisiana and a huge Saints fan so we bonded over that and had the Super Bowl part at their house!   Smirk   

But the Steelers always come first.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 10:38 AM)GMDino Wrote: I didn't switch from the Steelers (and I think I've told this before) but back in high school, maybe sophomore year so around 84-85, a friend and I decided to pick one awful team and start rooting for them so if they ever won we could say we weren't "bandwagon fans" .

He picked the Jets.  I picked the Saints.  I already had an autographed (reproduction) of Archie Manning that I had gotten years earlier so it seemed a good fit.

After a couple decades of cheering for them it obviously wasn't just a joke anymore.  I really am a Saints fan.  And a couple years before they won their super bowl we got new neighbors and she was from Louisiana and a huge Saints fan so we bonded over that and had the Super Bowl part at their house!   Smirk   

Yeah I can see second team.  i was pulling for Minnie this year.  Of course part of that was to show Mike Brown what a moron he is.  They didn't make the Super Bowl but they did make the championship game, but I'm guessing it still didn't enter Mikey's brain for one second that he might have effed that one up.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 10:45 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah I can see second team.  i was pulling for Minnie this year.  Of course part of that was to show Mike Brown what a moron he is.  They didn't make the Super Bowl but they did make the championship game, but I'm guessing it still didn't enter Mikey's brain for one second that he might have effed that one up.

Yeah if the Steelers aren't it I root for the division then for someone new to win it.  
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 10:47 AM)GMDino Wrote: Yeah if the Steelers aren't it I root for the division then for someone new to win it.  

I can't root for the division.  I want to.  I root for the Big 10 in bowl games, but I can't do it for the AFC North.  Too much envy.

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 10:52 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I can't root for the division.  I want to.  I root for the Big 10 in bowl games, but I can't do it for the AFC North.  Too much envy.

I didn't root for Baltimore.  Clearly.  Seeing Ray Ray McStabby get a SB was painful.  Even if he was basically along for the ride and 1/2 tackle stats.  Smirk

But I'd root for the Bengals or Browns.  More for the fans.  They deserve some kind of good result sometime!

As long as the Steelers aren't in it.   Cool
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 10:38 AM)GMDino Wrote: I didn't switch from the Steelers (and I think I've told this before) but back in high school, maybe sophomore year so around 84-85, a friend and I decided to pick one awful team and start rooting for them so if they ever won we could say we weren't "bandwagon fans" .

I've done this before.  I always like a good underdog, so I pulled for the lovable losers....the Aints and Yuccaneers.  Mainly the Saints because they were in the hated 49ers division, and Yucs had suffered so long.  Who'd a thunk they would both have rings now, and here my Bengals sit. Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 11:06 AM)Wyche Wrote: I've done this before.  I always like a good underdog, so I pulled for the lovable losers....the Aints and Yuccaneers.  Mainly the Saints because they were in the hated 49ers division, and Yucs had suffered so long.  Who'd a thunk they would both have rings now, and here my Bengals sit. Mellow

Yep.  And after 13 years on the Bengals Boards I've gotten to "know" a lot of the fans.  

While I'm sure they would be completely insufferable for a good, long time I'd still root for them over almost any NFC team if they made it back.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 10:32 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I have a hard time figuring out how you switch.  I mean if you could, ten or so teams wouldn't have any fans.  If I could come up with a formula I'd be a billionaire.  I can see fading out on your team, but not choosing another.

Yeah, I joke about it, but in all seriousness, it kind of makes me uncomfortable when I see him make pro-Steeler posts on Facebook.  I knew him when he was in college in the mid-90s, and he was so anti-Steeler back then that it just doesn't feel right.

To be fair, though, he claims that he never really healed from the pain caused by Modell's move to Baltimore, and that as a result he can't bring himself to accept the "new" Browns as the Browns he grew up with.  Also, he is now pastoring in the Pittsburgh area, so rooting for the Steelers helps him connect with his congregation. Adding those two things together, he probably has a better case than most for jumping on the bandwagon.  

That being said, it still feels wrong ... LOL 
Reply/Quote