Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How many steelers fans pretend...
(02-06-2018, 11:11 AM)GMDino Wrote: Yep.  And after 13 years on the Bengals Boards I've gotten to "know" a lot of the fans.  

While I'm sure they would be completely insufferable for a good, long time I'd still root for them over almost any NFC team if they made it back.

Oh, if they ever made it that far, I'd definitely root for the Bengals to win the SB.  It wouldn't hurt if they were playing either the 49ers or Cowboys (I want to see the Steelers get 7 before anyone else gets 6), but when the Steelers are out of it I generally root for either the underdog or the team that hasn't been there before. 

I also root for the team that beats my team, either in the playoffs or for the division.  The way I figure it, if the Steelers are going to lose, I want them to have lost to the team that ended up being the best.  It sucked when the Steelers lost the division to the Bengals only for them to go one and done in an embarrassing fashion.  That meant we lost the division to a team that really didn't show they belonged in the postseason.  In contrast, I was kind of happy to see the Ravens win the SB for the same reason.  Of course, they were playing the 49ers, which made it easier.   And as for this year, I would have rooted for the Jaguars to win the AFC Championship even if they weren't playing the Pats.  

Edit: I did make an exception to the above rule last year. Not getting closer to the Steelers' Lombardi count trumped having been beat by the best.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 11:58 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Oh, if they ever made it that far, I'd definitely root for the Bengals to win the SB.  It wouldn't hurt if they were playing either the 49ers or Cowboys (I want to see the Steelers get 7 before anyone else gets 6), but when the Steelers are out of it I generally root for either the underdog or the team that hasn't been there before. 

I also root for the team that beats my team, either in the playoffs or for the division.  The way I figure it, if the Steelers are going to lose, I want them to have lost to the team that ended up being the best.  It sucked when the Steelers lost the division to the Bengals only for them to go one and done in an embarrassing fashion.  That meant we lost the division to a team that really didn't show they belonged in the postseason.  In contrast, I was kind of happy to see the Ravens win the SB for the same reason.  Of course, they were playing the 49ers, which made it easier.   And as for this year, I would have rooted for the Jaguars to win the AFC Championship even if they weren't playing the Pats.  

Edit: I did make an exception to the above rule last year.  Not getting closer to the Steelers' Lombardi count trumped having been beat by the best.

We felt the same way as the Steeler's embarrassed the AFCN by losing to the Jags (no Steeler's playoff wins) who lost to the Pats who lost to the Eagles this year.  ThumbsUp
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 10:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, that's a fantastic view to your personal interworkings, however most of the NFL watching Nation all jumped on the "anti-Patriots" bandwagon, this time.

As for me?  Did I enjoy watching the "evil empire" get thwarted in their usual comeback attempt?  Hell yeah!

Do I typically pull for any team playing the Steelers?  Hell yeah! (that's what rivalry is all about)

Are some of my closest and most trusted friends in life Steeler fans?  Yes.  Do they make fun of me for holding onto the Bengals?  Absolutely.  Do our fishing trips together become more or less fun as a result of either teams success or failure?  Hell no!

I always root for any team that plays the Patriots. I dislike them that much. I root for the Steelers. Once the Steelers are eliminated, I root for either the Browns or Bengals if they're in it. If not I root for any team that hasn't won it before. I understand getting laughed at for holding onto a team, because I never got to watch the Pittsburgh Pirates win a World Series and they laugh at me for still being a fan.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2018, 01:18 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We felt the same way as the Steeler's embarrassed the AFCN by losing to the Jags (no Steeler's playoff wins) who lost to the Pats who lost to the Eagles this year.  ThumbsUp

For once I believe you.

You would know the feeling of personal embarrassment very well, I'm sure.

Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
I will be taking no further questions at this time.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2018, 07:08 AM)Captain Obvious Wrote: I always root for any team that plays the Patriots. I dislike them that much. I root for the Steelers. Once the Steelers are eliminated, I root for either the Browns or Bengals if they're in it. If not I root for any team that hasn't won it before. I understand getting laughed at for holding onto a team, because I never got to watch the Pittsburgh Pirates win a World Series and they laugh at me for still being a fan.

Yeah, I always bristle at being called "bandwagon" just because I'm a Steeler fan.  There are quite a few of us (maybe even the majority) who are just "Pittsburgh fans".  And because of the Pirates, we totally get the "stand by your team" mentality.  

I have to admit that my interest wanes a bit when the Pirates stink, but baseball is kind of a different animal in that they play every night (if you think it's tough to subject to yourself to suckiness on a weekly basis, try doing it daily).  But never have I been tempted to root for the Yankees, Giants, etc.

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2018, 12:22 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Yeah, I always bristle at being called "bandwagon" just because I'm a Steeler fan.  There are quite a few of us (maybe even the majority) who are just "Pittsburgh fans".  And because of the Pirates, we totally get the "stand by your team" mentality.  

I have to admit that my interest wanes a bit when the Pirates stink, but baseball is kind of a different animal in that they play every night (if you think it's tough to subject to yourself to suckiness on a weekly basis, try doing it daily).  But never have I been tempted to root for the Yankees, Giants, etc.

I know a guy in Northern W Va who is a Steelers-Reds fan.  He's about my age so he would have started following sports in the 70s.  I wonder how he arrived at those teams. Hmm
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2018, 01:00 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I know a guy in Northern W Va who is a Steelers-Reds fan.  He's about my age so he would have started following sports in the 70s.  I wonder how he arrived at those teams. Hmm

Yeah, but if he’s still a Reds fan is he really a bandwagoner?  I say you get a pass on your first choice, especially if you're a kid.  The slate is clean at that point.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2018, 08:17 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Yeah, but if he’s still a Reds fan is he really a bandwagoner?  I say you get a pass on your first choice, especially if you're a kid.  The slate is clean at that point.

Yes I will give him credit for that, but I would be curious to see what would have happened if the Pirates put together a few WS championships over a period of time.  I don't think he would have ever jumped to the Yankees or anything.  He's choosing "local" teams.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2018, 10:03 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Yes I will give him credit for that, but I would be curious to see what would have happened if the Pirates put together a few WS championships over a period of time.  I don't think he would have ever jumped to the Yankees or anything.  He's choosing "local" teams.  

Well, it wasn't a string, but they did win in '79 ...
Reply/Quote