Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How much cap space do we have.
(02-27-2022, 08:59 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: Having an over 30 year successful career in banking (including post graduate degrees) you clearly do not understand finance and accounting.

Hmm
really

I go to the bank and borrow off of my equity in my businesses all the time, have for over 20 years because I can show cash flow ratio of over 1.40 and have less than 25% debt.

I have not seen the Bengals balance sheet but have a hunch it is very healthy. If not, he could get 100's of millions just by giving a sponsor like Proctor and Gamble naming rights to PBS.

I am not a banker not an accountant, but I have great ones that I work with so I can focus on making money to put away for a rainy day.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2022, 05:09 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Kroenke ( Rams and wife a Walton) and the Glazers ( Bucs) are billionaires w/o the team. The Browns are not in their realm remotely. And the Rams and Bucs strategy is not a good one long term.

Two teams (families) that have won 2 Super Bowls over the last 20 or so years…. Isn’t a good long term plan? Those two teams account for 18% of superbowls since 1999.

But, what do I know
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2022, 04:52 PM)Tony Wrote: This way of building a team has netted the Bucs and Rams championships the past 2 years...

And it has failed for lots of other teams.

So what is your point?
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2022, 01:08 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Two teams (families) that have won 2 Super Bowls over the last 20 or so years…. Isn’t a good long term plan? Those two teams account for 18% of superbowls since 1999.

But, what do I know

One thing you obviously don't know is that between the Buc's 2 Super Bowl wins were 17 seasons with only two playoff appearances.

And the Rams went 12 straight years ('05-'16) without a single winning season.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2022, 01:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: One thing you obviously don't know is that between the Buc's 2 Super Bowl wins were 17 seasons with only two playoff appearances.

Are we really going to criticize teams that have had the ultimate success, two times, in recent history?

LOL. This is too good.

The bengals have achieved similar types of droughts, except with nothing to show for it.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2022, 10:18 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Hmm
really

I go to the bank and borrow off of my equity in my businesses all the time, have for over 20 years because I can show cash flow ratio of over 1.40 and have less than 25% debt.

I have not seen the Bengals balance sheet but have a hunch it is very healthy. If not, he could get 100's of millions just by giving a sponsor like Proctor and Gamble naming rights to PBS.

I am not a banker not an accountant, but I have great ones that I work with so I can focus on making money to put away for a rainy day.

Fair enough. You hit on the crux of the issue, the balance sheet. That, with both the Profit/Loss and Cash Flow statements, could solve the debate. My gut feeling is that a large amount of the franchise's Owner's Equity is derived from a goodwill intangible asset. Most financial institutions will not consider that amount in reviewing loan eligibility. As such, it is doubtful the fair net value of the Bengals franchise is anywhere near $10 billion.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2022, 02:35 PM)Bengalbug Wrote:
I would like to imagine that Mike Florio know more about footbal than either of us.  

If you think otherwise, you should quit your day job, which was the same as him… and start writing about football.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/27/so-what-if-aaron-rodgers-wants-50-million-per-year/

And the broncos won the SB in spite of manning.  But usually without above average qb play, you don’t make it to the SB.  Even still, they have 3 more SBs than the bengals.  I would venture to guess every bengals fan, except you, would take a SB and then 7 years of not reaching the playoffs.  Imagine if the packers were not idiots and had drafted tee Higgins instead of Jordan love (planning for the future), they would have most likely faced the chiefs last year in the SB.  In turn, we may not have had that opportunity.

If there was ever a time to go all in, it would be before, not after we have to pay Joey and the boys.

I can name many (nearly 100) people on this board that are smarter at football than that idiot.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2022, 04:52 PM)Tony Wrote: This way of building a team has netted the Bucs and Rams championships the past 2 years...

Yeah, would of sucked for the Rams if they lost to us though lol

I doubt they would be back again unlike our young team that has good Cap right now to add our essentials for getting us a ring or
hopefully a couple. The Bucs and Rams went all out and congrats got their Championships but as Soonerpeace said they won't be 
good long term cause they went all out. I like our position for the future more than any other team. Maybe the Bills or the Titans 
might be there with us or the Cardinals in the NFC as these are young solid teams.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2022, 01:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: One thing you obviously don't know is that between the Buc's 2 Super Bowl wins were 17 seasons with only two playoff appearances.

Lol You just proved my point.. What they did worked...
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2022, 11:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We have two free agents on the O-line (Spain and Reif).  I would re-sign Spain.  I don't think he is that great, but I think we can get him at a decent price.  I would not re-sign Reif, but I would sign a RT at $10M+ for one year.  Hopkins is not horrible, but I feel he is overpaid.  I'd like to sign a young Center for $10-12 million and cut Hopkins $7 million.  Carman and Smith deserve a year to develop, but I would sign another vet like Miller/Su'a-Filo ($2-$3 million) for depth.

TE...Resign CJ if he is not too expensive ($7-$8 million)

D-line...I am a really big fan of Ogunjobi, but I don't think we will be able to afford him.  We are paying a ton of money to Reader, Hendrickson, and Hubbard.  We may have to cut back the spending a bit at DT.  The only problem is that Hill and Tupou played over 900 snaps.  That is the equivalent of another full-time player.  I am saying 2 guys at combined about $8 million.

Safety...I am also a huge fan of Bates, but he may be too pricey.  Just taking into account the players listed above I only have $15 million left and we still need a starting CB.  

At this point I believe we have to release Waynes.  That frees up another $10 million giving us $25.  

We are still 5 players short of 51 so that means at least $3.5-$4 million.  

We have to pay our high draft picks, but most rookies that make a roster displace a higher paid veteran, so they actually save money.  And picking at 31 makes a big difference.  Our first round pick will make about $3 million a year.  So I guess the net draft cost is $2-$3 million.  

Every team in the league sits on a little space in case they need to sign new players as injury replacements. Say $3 million.

That leaves $15 million for a starting safety and starting CB.  And CBs are not cheap.

This is where the accounting comes is.  All of the numbers I have listed above are "yearly average".  Since free agents get a lot of cash in their pockets from signings bonuses they don't mind taking small salaries their first season, especially the larger contracts.  If we sign 4 players to contracts of $7+ million (RT, TE, Saf, CB) we should easily be able to create $6-$8 million in cap space.  Not that much if you sign the RT to a one year deal like I suggest.

Don't count on any starters from the draft.  Take O-line if possible.  But picking at 31 it is often best to just go BPA and start developing starers for the future.  You can't always build your team through free agency.  You have to create a pipeline that has young players ready to be a starter when we need to replace one.   

Over The Cap has an interactive salary cap calculator.

https://overthecap.com/calculator/cincinnati-bengals/

Why don’t you try playing around with it.
Reply/Quote