Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Political Encounters
I've been fortunate in my life in that I have met a quite a few politicians. I would say that my proximity to Washington makes this very possible, but I have to say that having some of the experiences I have had has caused me to get more engaged in the process. How many elected officials have you "rubbed elbows" with and who was it if it was someone that many people on the board might know? And do you think that this influenced you to become more active in political dialogue?

My list is:
George W. Bush
Al Gore
Sen. John Warner
Sen. (then Gov.) Tim Kaine
Sen. (then Gov.) Mark Warner
VAAG Ken Cuccinelli
Gov. Bob McDonnell
LG Ralph Northam
Rep. Bob Goodlatte

And then several state reps and senators and local officials. Too many of them, really. I think my favorite non-political moment was meeting Mark Warner. He had broken his arm while bicycling in 2005, and some of us Virginia Scouts and Scouters at the National Jamboree got to sign his cast. My favorite political was actually getting to sit down with John Warner and discuss issues. I was a high schooler and was there with a group and we got to go into a conference room with the man himself, about 6 of us, and have a conversation with him about issues. It was a lot of fun.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-15-2017, 05:20 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I've been fortunate in my life in that I have met a quite a few politicians.

This comment confuses me...
(05-15-2017, 05:34 PM)Au165 Wrote: This comment confuses me...

I don't have the negative view of politicians that a lot of folks do. No matter their ideological bent, every politician I have met I genuinely feel has the best interests of their constituents as the reason for their actions.

That isn't to say all politicians do, but even McDonnell, who went through a corruption case and was found guilty before it was thrown out by SCOTUS, had the best interests of the Commonwealth at heart. Most of the time.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-15-2017, 05:35 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I don't have the negative view of politicians that a lot of folks do. No matter their ideological bent, every politician I have met I genuinely feel has the best interests of their constituents as the reason for their actions.

That isn't to say all politicians do, but even McDonnell, who went through a corruption case and was found guilty before it was thrown out by SCOTUS, had the best interests of the Commonwealth at heart. Most of the time.

Welp that joke didn't go over well....tough crowd.
(05-15-2017, 05:39 PM)Au165 Wrote: Welp that joke didn't go over well....tough crowd.

I'm sorry, we must not have met.
[Image: buzz-killington.png]

In the fall of 95, I shook hands with Bill & Al, when they visited OSU campus.

Then starting in the summer of 96, I interned for the then U.S. Senator Mike DeWine, which was a big deal as it isnt easy to get to be a Senators intern. During the summers I was in his Cincinnati office, as he had 5 in Ohio and 1 D.C. The Cincy office was where his cos in Ohio was and was his main office outside of DC. Then when I was at OSU, I would frequent the Columbus office rarely, but was a summer intern for the most part.

That first summer another intern and myself went up to his house in Green County Ohio to help get it ready for his annual ice cream social he held every summer. His wife was out there with us directing and working herself, which was cool. We were in a garage, and she was pulling stuff out saying this goes there or throw in dumpster, as she wore a doorag with work shorts and t shirt. Did other chores like cleaning and whatnot, then went in and she ordered us pizza for lunch. We sat around the kitchen table with a few of their kids that were there and her, and ate pizza lol. It was awkward cause I just met them that day for the first time, but otherwise they were normal like anyone else.

But during that time and going to events like his ice cream socials, I got to meet a lot of folks who I already forgot.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Carlos Gutierrez...

Wah Wah Wah
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Back in 1994 I spoke briefly with Hillary Clinton at a USO in Camp Casey Korea. We talked about the movie The Dead Poet's Society. She knew heck of lot bout that movie.

In 2005 I worked with the Secret Service on Bush's trip to Mongolia. It was the first time I realized Air Forces One had a twin. Only saw President Bush from a distance; however, we got delayed in Mongolia (China wouldn't clear the airspace) and we spent Thanksgiving at the Embassy dining with the Ambassador.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Joe Lieberman in a Wendy's while on a lunch break. I was 17. My buddy and I are sitting there and I go "that looks like Joe Lieberman in the parking lot". He says it can't be but then some secret service looking guys got out. He came in with his wife and grand kids and said "the grand kids just need to use the bathroom" as everyone looked on. I'm pretty sure we were the only ones who knew who he was, he just looked important because he had protection with him.

Elijah Cummings spoke to my students in an assembly, but none of the teachers actually got to talk to him. I was a few feet from Ron Paul at a rally. Michael Steele (former MD Lt Gov and RNC chair) spoke to a group of mine in high school.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

The Mayor of Harrison comes to my church every once in a while with his wife.

Other than that, I've met none.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the Mayor of Chiviot performed the marriage ceremony for my wife and I in 1989.

Do those two count?
I got to go to a press conference with the gov of PA back in 1990.  Got to ask a question and hang out with the crowd around him.

In 1987 I was in DC for a Youth Leadership Conference.  We were to meet with our State Rep by I was hanging out with some people from Alabama so we went to see their's instead

So while we're there he asks us (a group of about 6-7) if we'd like to meet the President.  Shocked

Sadly he was in a meeting and the VP was out of town (or so his secretary said) LOL!)

Same trip we waited for John Glenn to come back to his office but I left (with the girls from Alabama) before he got there.  That would have been cool.

Closest I've been to big politicians.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-15-2017, 05:20 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I've been fortunate in my life in that I have met a quite a few politicians. I would say that my proximity to Washington makes this very possible, but I have to say that having some of the experiences I have had has caused me to get more engaged in the process. How many elected officials have you "rubbed elbows" with and who was it if it was someone that many people on the board might know? And do you think that this influenced you to become more active in political dialogue?

My list is:
George W. Bush
Al Gore
Sen. John Warner
Sen. (then Gov.) Tim Kaine
Sen. (then Gov.) Mark Warner
VAAG Ken Cuccinelli
Gov. Bob McDonnell
LG Ralph Northam
Rep. Bob Goodlatte

And then several state reps and senators and local officials. Too many of them, really. I think my favorite non-political moment was meeting Mark Warner. He had broken his arm while bicycling in 2005, and some of us Virginia Scouts and Scouters at the National Jamboree got to sign his cast. My favorite political was actually getting to sit down with John Warner and discuss issues. I was a high schooler and was there with a group and we got to go into a conference room with the man himself, about 6 of us, and have a conversation with him about issues. It was a lot of fun.

What counts as "met"? I've been in the same room with Bill Clinton, Helmut Kohl, Max Baucus and Leon Panetta. Kohl is the only one I tried to speak to and our own SS stopped me. Maybe some I don't remember. I did a news conference with Washington State Representative Jim McDermott in 1989. That was fun.
I've been to an event locally where people were protesting and standing up to hate crimes, and happened to hear some "speeches" given by the State Attorney General and some other politicians who were representing the local State house district and others hoping to run for office. I will say I wasn't too impressed with the cookie cutter speeches and "preaching to the choir" going on, but nonetheless respected the effort to show up at a local event as a symbolic gesture.
(05-15-2017, 07:45 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Joe Lieberman in a Wendy's while on a lunch break. I was 17. My buddy and I are sitting there and I go "that looks like Joe Lieberman in the parking lot". He says it can't be but then some secret service looking guys got out. He came in with his wife and grand kids and said "the grand kids just need to use the bathroom" as everyone looked on. I'm pretty sure we were the only ones who knew who he was, he just looked important because he had protection with him.

Elijah Cummings spoke to my students in an assembly, but none of the teachers actually got to talk to him. I was a few feet from Ron Paul at a rally. Michael Steele (former MD Lt Gov and RNC chair) spoke to a group of mine in high school.

So no matter how rich and powerful you get, you still have to stop at fast food restaurants to use the bathroom.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

I've met a lot of people with my job as I work with the public service oriented. I did some work for Tom Luken who I believe was a democratic congressman. Spent more time talking to his wife who was first rate nice to me. Several years later, did the same work for Charlie Luken, former mayor here, who was friendly as well.
About a year ago I tweeted to Jeb Bush that he was a cuckhold. He blocked me an hour later.

Not a true story, but it should be.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]