Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much is a 2nd Round Pick worth?
Cause the Browns just bought a 2018 second round pick for 4 million bucks. Likely in the 50-60 pick range next year.

That is a pretty good deal.

The market for a bottom tier/back up QB like Hoyer, Osweililer, Glennon is right around 12 Mill/year.

So they get Brock for 16; They can trade him or keep him - whatever they want.

They over pay for Brock now, by 4 mill, and get the pick

Brilliant move by the Browns.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 07:43 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Cause the Browns just bought a 2018 second round  pick for 4 million bucks.  Likely in the 50-60 pick range next year.

The market for a bottom tier/back up QB like Hoyer, Osweililer, Glennon is right around 12 Mill/year.

So they get Brock for 16;  They can trade him or keep him - whatever they want.

Say what you want about the Browns...and they have been terribly run over the years...but they got rid of most of their older players and are going with youth and accumulating draft picks.

Buying a 2nd Round pick for $4 million shows a willingness to win.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 07:43 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Cause the Browns just bought a 2018 second round  pick for 4 million bucks.  Likely in the 50-60 pick range next year.

So they get Brock for 16;  They can trade him or keep him - whatever they want.

What?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 07:53 PM)McC Wrote: What?

Exactly what I said.  re-read, you'll get it!
Reply/Quote
It was a great move by the browns. They have enough to trade for jimmy g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Browns are in position for a great rebuild, and it can happen fairly quickly. I think the temptation to overspend for a QB like Garappolo is great, and they need to resist that temptation.

He is not worth anywhere near what the Pats are asking for him. Give the Bengals their 2nd round pick for McCarron, add some more to their offensive line, draft a speedy young defense, and watch them roll.

It's going to be fun...they are my second favorite team...albeit a very distant second.
Reply/Quote
They already had back up QBs in Hogan and Kessler. They paid $16 Mil for a terrible QB. The Texans also got Cleveland's 4th Round pick this year. The 2nd rounder doesn't come into play until 2018. If Oswieler can start for Cleveland and do well then it was a good move; otherwise, it was just another stupid move in a long line of many.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 08:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: They already had back up QBs in Hogan and Kessler. They paid $16 Mil for a terrible QB. The Texans also got Cleveland's 4th Round pick this year. The 2nd rounder doesn't come into play until 2018. If Oswieler can start for Cleveland and do well then it was a good move; otherwise, it was just another stupid move in a long line of many.

You are in disagreement with most of the pundits I am hearing on the radio as well as the entirety of the NBA who perform these cap hit trades constantly.  The Browns had cap room to burn, so they burn some and get a 2nd round pick for it, and what ever they get if they choose to trade him. They aren't going to turn that ship around in 1 year. Burn cash now to maintain momentum rebuilding in the next draft.  It has the potential to be a great move for them.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 08:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: They already had back up QBs in Hogan and Kessler. They paid $16 Mil for a terrible QB. The Texans also got Cleveland's 4th Round pick this year. The 2nd rounder doesn't come into play until 2018. If Oswieler can start for Cleveland and do well then it was a good move; otherwise, it was just another stupid move in a long line of many.

They have to spend to the cap, so there's little harm with this. Meanwhile, they now have a crazy amount of first and second round picks next few years. They figure some things out & get lucky this could be a dangerous team.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote

Hogan ain't so great and Kessler is already on a concussion timetable to be a vegetable by age 25.  With that being said, word is (and it could be total BS) that the Browns might actually get a trade offer for Brock-O-Crap-O and essentially spend some of their required cap space to acquire picks.

I totally get the fact that the Browns have earned the right for every move they make to be considered the latest in a long line of blunders, but we might have to see how this plays out first.

As others have pointed out, the Browns haven't tried to be competitive last year and maybe this year in an attempt to make for a better future. This makes sense to me as pretty much any fanbase of a team that is 2 games behind the 1st place team in their division starts demanding the coaches toss every rookie out there willy-nilly to "see what they have in them" and/or start losing games in order to get a better draft pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 09:02 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: They have to spend to the cap, so there's little harm with this. Meanwhile, they now have a crazy amount of first and second round picks next few years. They figure some things out & get lucky this could be a dangerous team.

Exactly. And this slew of picks also opens the door for some very trades to acquire veteran talent.  Effective free agency, smart drafting, and some well made trades for vets could have the Browns looking wildly different in the next few seasons.  Have to be excited if you are a fan of theirs.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 09:02 PM)Burma Wrote: You are in disagreement with most of the pundits I am hearing on the radio as well as the entirety of the NBA who perform these cap hit trades constantly.  The Browns had cap room to burn, so they burn some and get a 2nd round pick for it, and what ever they get if they choose to trade him. They aren't going to turn that ship around in 1 year. Burn cash now to maintain momentum rebuilding in the next draft.  It has the potential to be a great move for them.

Welp if the pundits think $16 mil and a top of the round 4th rd pick this year is worth a mid-late 2nd the following year then we disagree. Using present net value the 4th is worth as much as the second. If Texans would have given up this year's 2nd then the Browns actually got a 2nd for a 4th and 16 mil, but they didn't even get that. But what do I care; it's not my 16 mil

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 09:07 PM)Burma Wrote: Exactly. And this slew of picks also opens the door for some very trades to acquire veteran talent.  Effective free agency, smart drafting, and some well made trades for vets could have the Browns looking wildly different in the next few seasons.  Have to be excited if you are a fan of theirs.

Remember how excited Browns fans were when they got all those picks for the Julio Jones pick?

Reply/Quote
They could have Carson Wentz and be building a good thing....

Instead in a salary cap league they are burning big bucks on a shitty QB for a future pick that could very well be a bust.

They had 14 picks last year. Drafted 4 WRs. Then had Terrelle Pryor out perform all of them in his first year playing WR and he looks to be leaving the team. And they just threw big money at Kenny Britt after his career year barely breaking 1,000 yards.

They just blew a ton of money and moved down in the draft this year to acquire a shitty player. They have had 15 picks in the 1st-3rd rounds in the last 3 years.

I'm not ready to anoint them anything.
Reply/Quote
Translation: Cincinnati finishes last in the AFC North for the forseeable future. Cry
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 09:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Welp if the pundits think $16 mil and a top of the round 4th rd pick this year is worth a mid-late 2nd the following year then we disagree. Using present net value the 4th is worth as much as the second. If Texans would have given up this year's 2nd then the Browns actually got a 2nd for a 4th and 16 mil, but they didn't even get that. But what do I care; it's not my 16 mil

I don't know how to link tweets or I would, but this link has a really good breakdown of the plans the Browns have indicated for Osweiler. In a nut shell they are looking to eat half the 16mill cap hit, and trade him for an '18 3rd round pick.  Assuming they pull that off $8 mill, and a '17 4th for an '18 2nd and 3rd looks to be a pretty shrewd move.  

http://torotimes.com/2017/03/09/cleveland-browns-looking-to-trade-brock-osweiler-could-release-him/

As to their excitement.  Remember how excited Bengals fans were when we drafted Andy and AJ and made the play offs in short order? Neither fan bases have a play off win to show for it.

Reply/Quote