Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How people react to being called beautiful
I like this video! If you can change your attitude to taking an extra second to make people smile, why not.

Of course I called the woman I was asking out, beautiful. I told her at some point in our conversations I looked up and thought, my gosh how beautiful is this woman? It seems to take people's breath away if for just a split second, and even if it's a genetics lottery.

The nurse who drew my blood recently just said "you're cute, are you single? I'm not, but you're a catch." out of the blue. I don't think guys get compliments like that. I think my neighbor (female) also got a compliment from that clinic (lol) so maybe they're trained to do that, but I did feel pretty good that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZP6uJtgM34&fbclid=IwAR3Nlcf4HtN5r19q_0YFt8xv1hEKAkzeMqHbCRteyv3nGjJQAvvwYw6wgg0
Reply/Quote
I agree somewhat.  I watched the video and of course when someone says, "We are taking your picture because you are beautiful," many will smile. I probably would have as well thinking it was a joke, haha.  I wonder how many didn't smile for the camera and were edited out.  I think it is better to compliment people on other things aside from their outward appearance.   Instead compliment them on who they seem to be on the inside, their personalities and such.

For example when I go to the grocery store there is a cashier that I wait in line for even if it is longer than the others.  She is always very friendly and does a great job.  I always greet her by name and remind her she is my favorite cashier.  It makes her smile every time.  I'm not attracted to her by any means and in fact I'm not even available.  :). But she seems to appreciate that I recognize her.

From experience I know that jobs like hers are often thankless and they have to deal with shitty people often.  So a kind word and a bit of appreciation for what they do goes a long way. I have also contacted the store and told them I appreciate how friendly she is and the good job she is doing.  Hopefully it pays off for her if she is considered for promotion or if she decides to move on to another job in the form of recommendations.

In my opinion there are better ways to compliment people instead of one based on their appearance.  If you appreciate what they do and who they are then acknowledge that.  

tl;dr. I think almost everyone would appreciate compliments more if it is recognized for who they are and what they do (and what they are passionate about) instead of what they look like.

Just be nice to people. When someone does something you appreciate, no matter how small, tell them. That goes a long way. Much further than complimenting what they look like. So if you can take an extra second to make someone smile as you stated, I agree, do it. Do it everyday and often. Just don't limit complements to appearance.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 01:41 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I like this video! If you can change your attitude to taking an extra second to make people smile, why not.

Of course I called the woman I was asking out, beautiful. I told her at some point in our conversations I looked up and thought, my gosh how beautiful is this woman? It seems to take people's breath away if for  just a split second, and even if it's a genetics lottery.

The nurse who drew my blood recently just said "you're cute, are you single? I'm not, but you're a catch." out of the blue. I don't think guys get compliments like that. I think my neighbor (female) also got a compliment from that clinic (lol) so maybe they're trained to do that, but I did feel pretty good that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZP6uJtgM34&fbclid=IwAR3Nlcf4HtN5r19q_0YFt8xv1hEKAkzeMqHbCRteyv3nGjJQAvvwYw6wgg0

I usually try and throw out a compliment whenever I'm doing an interview. People are nervous (especially these days) when talking with the media. So I try to toss out a compliment but always make sure it's true. Although, since I'm 40 now and usually interviewing younger people, I try to make it more plutonic. Like "the color in that dress really works for you" or whatever.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2019, 02:58 PM)Benton Wrote: I usually try and throw out a compliment whenever I'm doing an interview. People are nervous (especially these days) when talking with the media. So I try to toss out a compliment but always make sure it's true. Although, since I'm 40 now and usually interviewing younger people, I try to make it more plutonic. Like "the color in that dress really works for you" or whatever.

Everyday I tell my wife how beautiful she is. Everyday she tells me to stop lying. Mellow

Maybe I will start complimenting on her tastes instead of her physicality’s.

Reply/Quote
I ALWAYS just say "thank you." Ninja
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 08:55 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I ALWAYS just say "thank you."   Ninja

When females compliment me, I whip out my business and say "You've met beauty....now meet the beast". Works like a charm.
Reply/Quote
If by "works" you mean a trip downtown to the station, then yes, I definitely see that...
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2019, 02:58 PM)Benton Wrote: I usually try and throw out a compliment whenever I'm doing an interview. People are nervous (especially these days) when talking with the media. So I try to toss out a compliment but always make sure it's true. Although, since I'm 40 now and usually interviewing younger people, I try to make it more plutonic. Like "the color in that dress really works for you" or whatever.

Don't do "nice rack".  apparently that's not a compliment anymore.  Dames.  SMH
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I wouldn't know. Never happened to me.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Telling a stranger he/she is beautiful when they really aren't will make them feel uncomfortable. It is much better to make a comment about their eyes, smile, clothing, or actions that is more believable.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 04:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Telling a stranger he/she is beautiful when they really aren't will make them feel uncomfortable.  It is much better to make a comment about their eyes, smile, clothing, or actions that is more believable.

fred, you have a nice smile.   Hilarious
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2019, 03:34 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Don't do "nice rack".  apparently that's not a compliment anymore.  Dames.  SMH

Unless you are admiring the ribs they have prepared.....
Reply/Quote
I once said, “That’s an impressive set of hooters,” about two owls at the Cincinnati Zoo. Mrs. Fan_in_Kettering elbowed me in the ribs really hard.
Reply/Quote
Here is a story. I was at Lowes this Wednesday morning, when walking down an aisle I noticed a really beautiful woman walking towards me. When we got close I looked at her and she made eye contact and gave me a shy but really nice smile and held eye contact. I thought Ok, I've been single for 6 months, fk it I'm going to say hi. So I said hi to her and she said hi back and we stopped walking. I noticed her broken english so I asked her name. I didnt offer mine though, knowing that if she asked me what my name was, it was sign that she was interested in me at least a little bit lol. She did. So I decided to gauge her attraction one more time, so after I told her my name I shook her hand. I only gave her a firm grip for a second and let off but didnt let go. I wanted to see how long she would hold onto my hand lol. She took her time sliding her fingers down my hand all the way to the end of my fingertips before she let off. All this time we maintained eye contact pretty much the entire time. A little small talk back and forth and that was it. She is gorgeous I thought, and I'm pretty confident at this point that she is interested in me. So I told her "hey, this may seem a little random to get in the morning while you're out shopping, but I think you're beautiful and very unique, and I cant pass up a chance to ask if I can get your number so I can call you and ask you out for a cup of tea (at that point we had established that she is Persian, and I know they are tea drinkers lol). She pretty much buckled her knees at that point lol. Her blush and her smile lit up the whole area and she gave me her number and thanked me for asking for it twice. She is gorgeous, and a little bravery and an honest compliment pretty much landed me a date with this gem. Pumped. Big Grin
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 03:00 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Here is a story. I was at Lowes this Wednesday morning, when walking down an aisle I noticed a really beautiful woman walking towards me. When we got close I looked at her and she made eye contact and gave me a shy but really nice smile and held eye contact. I thought Ok, I've been single for 6 months, fk it I'm going to say hi. So I said hi to her and she said hi back and we stopped walking. I noticed her broken english so I asked her name. I didnt offer mine though, knowing that if she asked me what my name was, it was sign that she was interested in me at least a little bit lol. She did. So I decided to gauge her attraction one more time, so after I told her my name I shook her hand. I only gave her a firm grip for a second and let off but didnt let go. I wanted to see how long she would hold onto my hand lol. She took her time sliding her fingers down my hand all the way to the end of my fingertips before she let off. All this time we maintained eye contact pretty much the entire time. A little small talk back and forth and that was it. She is gorgeous I thought, and I'm pretty confident at this point that she is interested in me. So I told her "hey, this may seem a little random to get in the morning while you're out shopping, but I think you're beautiful and very unique, and I cant pass up a chance to ask if I can get your number so I can call you and ask you out for a cup of tea (at that point we had established that she is Persian, and I know they are tea drinkers lol). She pretty much buckled her knees at that point lol. Her blush and her smile lit up the whole area and she gave me her number and thanked me for asking for it twice. She is gorgeous, and a little bravery and an honest compliment pretty much landed me a date with this gem. Pumped. Big Grin

Lowes?

Isn't that where you can buy fertilizer, pipes, and kerosene?
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 05:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Lowes?

Isn't that where you can buy fertilizer, pipes, and kerosene?

Lol it was in the lighting section
Reply/Quote
That story is hilarious because when I asked that woman's name (becaues I was interested), she never asked me for mine back. I never used that to gauge if they're attracted to me or not, it makes sense, but it's odd because who wouldn't ask for someone else's name back? Unless you did'nt trust them at all lol.

Congratulations though! It's rare that we get those opportunities, at least in my case, a beautiful woman walks by once in a long while. I do appreciate the married moms nowadays, but they're mostly unavailable, lol.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Don't hate me for being beautiful! 
https://youtu.be/hz8ul-gmLyA

Well, I got news for you sister.. We should raise an army to rid the world of such a menace..  (Not really..) 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote