Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How related is too related?
As you may or may not know I made the military a career and my family and I moved all around and never near home (central KY). Upon retiring from the Military I settled back "home".

A couple months back my son was on a blind date. As they were talking over dinner my mom's name came up. My son called me and asked did I know a "insert name". I said "Yes that was my mom's brother. Turns out his grandmother and her grandfather were brother and sister. Despite KY stereotype that ended any escalation of the date.

So I quess that makes them "2nd cousins". So I ask: What do you consider "too related"?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 01:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As you may or may not know I made the military a career and my family and I moved all around and never near home (central KY). Upon retiring from the Military I settled back "home".

A couple months back my son was on a blind date. As they were talking over dinner my mom's name came up. My son called me and asked did I know a "insert name". I said "Yes that was my mom's brother. Turns out his grandmother and her grandfather were brother and sister. Despite KY stereotype that ended any escalation of the date.

So I quess that makes them "2nd cousins". So I ask: What do you consider "too related"?

I've always heard that actual blood relation (for lack of a better phrase) stops with aunts or uncles. If that's the case, then they would've been alright if they liked each other. Sounds as if they had to do some research so they weren't exactly kin.

Maybe not the same level, but my ex wife's Grandma was married to by uncle's (who died from Agent Orange exposure when I was very young... And was no blood relation to me) brother. My former mother-in-law's maiden name is the same as my aunt's married name though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I don't see any problem with second cousins getting married and having children unless there is some serious genetic defect in the common family line. Look at it this way. Their children would have zero common great-grandparents. Of their 16 great-great-grandparents only 2 would be duplicates.

My ex-wife's father had two children by two different women before he married my ex's mom. Those two kids were a boy and a girl who went to the same high school in a small town. They did not know who their father was until their moms got concerned that they might start dating each other.
Reply/Quote
Not sure that flies in Kentucky, but they could always get married in West Virginia..... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 01:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As you may or may not know I made the military a career and my family and I moved all around and never near home (central KY). Upon retiring from the Military I settled back "home".

So I quess that makes them "2nd cousins". So  I ask: What do you consider "too related"?

it makes them distant relations...    Im sure its fine it doesnt seem close enough to cause extra toes or anything
Reply/Quote
https://www.thespruce.com/cousin-marriage-laws-listed-by-state-2300731#:~:text=In%20the%20United%20States%2C%20second,about%20half%20of%20American%20states.

Quote:In the United States, second cousins are legally allowed to marry in every state. What's more, the genetic risk associated with second cousins having children is almost as small as it would be between two unrelated individuals. Marriage between first cousins, however, is legal in only about half of American states.
Reply/Quote
I quess it's just sort of the stigma attached to it. But whatever it is, my son shut it down quickly. He said he's only dating women of color locally from now on just to be safe.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Might be a little too close for me if she was a second cousin. But wouldn't ever judge someone else marrying their second
cousin. Saw in Idaho they can marry their first cousin or it might of been Utah which makes even more sense, that is a bit
weird to me. But still, not going to judge. I just have seen some people marry their first cousins and the kids were really
slow and that would be a terrible thing to witness. Understand your son shutting that down even if she was a 2nd.
Reply/Quote
Iz zat yoo Uncle Daddy? Aunt mama?   You know you're too related if foreplay consists of , "Psssst! Hey sis, you awake?"
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Reminds me of an old Muppet Show song

https://youtu.be/gkiOm-vmpcY
Reply/Quote

So I quess that makes them "2nd cousins". So  I ask: What do you consider "too related"?

I had the exact same thing happen to me with a girl I was interested in about 20 years ago.  We drove past a house that had a for sale sign in the yard.  She made a comment about it being her grandmother's.  Interestingly enough, I'd been in that house before because it was my great aunt's house.  We weren't close with that part of the family and I had been there maybe twice, the last time when I was 7 or so.  So her grandmother and my grandpa were brother and sister.  Fortunately, nothing had really progressed at that point between us and we were able to put a stop to things before something even weirder happened.  It would have been more than a little screwed up if things were more serious when that particular fact came to light.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2021, 09:51 PM)samhain Wrote: I had the exact same thing happen to me with a girl I was interested in about 20 years ago.  We drove past a house that had a for sale sign in the yard.  She made a comment about it being her grandmother's.  Interestingly enough, I'd been in that house before because it was my great aunt's house.  We weren't close with that part of the family and I had been there maybe twice, the last time when I was 7 or so.  So her grandmother and my grandpa were brother and sister.  Fortunately, nothing had really progressed at that point between us and we were able to put a stop to things before something even weirder happened.  It would have been more than a little screwed up if things were more serious when that particular fact came to light.

This is making me think of that Joe Dirt scene lol
Reply/Quote
Second cousins is fine, both legally and genetically, as has already been pointed out. It still makes some people pause, and everyone has their personal qualms about such things, but to each their own.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eYlJH81dSiw

This thread reminds me of this song. :)
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2021, 09:51 PM)samhain Wrote: I had the exact same thing happen to me with a girl I was interested in about 20 years ago.  We drove past a house that had a for sale sign in the yard.  She made a comment about it being her grandmother's.  Interestingly enough, I'd been in that house before because it was my great aunt's house.  We weren't close with that part of the family and I had been there maybe twice, the last time when I was 7 or so.  So her grandmother and my grandpa were brother and sister.  Fortunately, nothing had really progressed at that point between us and we were able to put a stop to things before something even weirder happened.  It would have been more than a little screwed up if things were more serious when that particular fact came to light.

(06-10-2021, 10:01 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: This is making me think of that Joe Dirt scene lol

It is Jamie Pressley lol  Hilarious

Still think Brittney Daniels is the hottest chick in that show.

Def Leppard SUCKS!!! Man Kid Rock makes me laugh when he does that part. "You gonna cry"?

LMAO! Even though I like Def Leppard. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2021, 09:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is Jamie Pressley lol  Hilarious

Still think Brittney Daniels is the hottest chick in that show.

Def Leppard SUCKS!!! Man Kid Rock makes me laugh when he does that part. "You gonna cry"?

LMAO! Even though I like Def Leppard. Mellow

She is so white trash red neck hot. I’ve seen plenty of women like her around here lol
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
Other than my immediate family, brother, sisters and my kids , grandkids and a few nieces and a nephew I pretty much avoid the rest of my relatives. Both of my parents are gone and all my siblings are older than me so we ain't gonna be around much longer.
The rest are pretty much waste cases turned to toxic chemicals with feet and I assume mouths and perhaps eyes although I wouldn't know them now if I ran over them with a broken tricycle.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote