Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How soon after the Ravens game ...
... will we know if Merv is truly gone? And if so, how soon after the Ravens game do we start a new head coaching search in earnest?

I have a feeling that we'll know the former pretty quickly (within the week I'm guessing), so I'm more interested in how long Brown waits before starting his search, assuming Merv is officially not coming back. And I mean, REALLY searching. Like talking to guys, interviewing candidates, etc. None of this, "Oh, we're putting a list together" crap.

Of course. I'm still holding out hope that Brown makes an announcement that Merv is not coming back AND that he's officially turning over the team to Katie who in turn announces she's starting the head coaching search by searching for a GM. Just goes to show, the Bengals haven't killed ALL my dreams, yet. ThumbsUp
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Hopefully the search for anew coach has already started. And we should know within a day or two after the Ravens game that Marvin is not coming back.

Black Monday will be an interesting day as I'm sure the organization will be keeping a close eye on Cleveland, Washington and maybe even Houston.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 03:11 PM)PhilHos Wrote: ... will we know if Merv is truly gone? And if so, how soon after the Ravens game do we start a new head coaching search in earnest?

I have a feeling that we'll know the former pretty quickly (within the week I'm guessing), so I'm more interested in how long Brown waits before starting his search, assuming Merv is officially not coming back. And I mean, REALLY searching. Like talking to guys, interviewing candidates, etc. None of this, "Oh, we're putting a list together" crap.

Of course. I'm still holding out hope that Brown makes an announcement that Merv is not coming back AND that he's officially turning over the team to Katie who in turn announces she's starting the head coaching search by searching for a GM. Just goes to show, the Bengals haven't killed ALL my dreams, yet.  ThumbsUp

If Mike Brown does things like he usually does, he will hire a coach a week before training camp. He will control the draft and player decisions until then. That way the coach will have no time to plan and strategize so it will be just like when Marvin and the rest of his coaches were here.
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown has already decided which way he wants to proceed and there are three possibilities:

1. Marvin stays on as head coach.
2. Marvin gets promoted to the Front Office.
3. Marvin leaves either of his own volition, by mutual agreement, or by being fired.

These possibilities do not occur with equal probability. (3) is the most probable outcome followed by (1) and then (2).

Supposing (3) is Mike Brown’s selection, I’m sure a search committee has been formed. Hue Jackson has recently eliminated from contention because Cleveland is retaining him for 2018.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 03:11 PM)PhilHos Wrote: ... will we know if Merv is truly gone? And if so, how soon after the Ravens game do we start a new head coaching search in earnest?

Of course. I'm still holding out hope that Brown makes an announcement that Merv is not coming back AND that he's officially turning over the team to Katie who in turn announces she's starting the head coaching search by searching for a GM. Just goes to show, the Bengals haven't killed ALL my dreams, yet.  ThumbsUp

I think we'll know Marvin's status by Tuesday afternoon, at the latest.

If your 'hope' came true and Mike announced that he's stepping aside...

Reply/Quote

I'm going to say by January 5th, it will be announced that Lewis has decided to go chase his other passions in life. Now as for a new HC, it might be a couple of weeks because hopefully that young offensive mind we want is coaching in the playoffs somewhere. Nervous
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 03:29 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Mike Brown has already decided which way he wants to proceed and there are three possibilities:

1.  Marvin stays on as head coach.
2.  Marvin gets promoted to the Front Office.
3.  Marvin leaves either of his own volition, by mutual agreement, or by being fired.

These possibilities do not occur with equal probability.  (3) is the most probable outcome followed by (1) and then (2).  

Supposing (3) is Mike Brown’s selection, I’m sure a search committee has been formed.  Hue Jackson has recently eliminated from contention because Cleveland is retaining him for 2018.

Spock is that you??  LMAO
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 03:20 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: If Mike Brown does things like he usually does, he will hire a coach a week before training camp. He will control the draft and player decisions until then. That way the coach will have no time to plan and strategize so it will be just like when Marvin and the rest of his coaches were here.

Well that is incorrect on our head coach hires with Mike Brown.. Coslet and Lebeau were hired shortly after each season they had finished as inter coach and Lewis was hired in Jan , I don;t know when Shula was hired though but track record for Mike Brown is he does not wait long to hire head coaches
Reply/Quote
I have a feeling our search for the next HC started (and ended) 2 years ago when Mike Brown told Hue that he could follow Marvin into the HC gig.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 04:13 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well that is incorrect on our head coach hires with Mike Brown.. Coslet and Lebeau were hired shortly after each season they had finished as inter coach and Lewis was hired in Jan , I don;t know when Shula was hired though but track record for Mike Brown is he does not wait long to hire head coaches

Thought so, new that wasn't the case.

Man, sure hope MB steps aside and lets Katie pick a GM who knows his stuff. Right now i am thinking Jay Gruden and
Bill O'Brien for our new HC are the most likely and would absolutely love it to be Bill. He doesn't have any Bengal ties
really and i think would pick his own staff and not keep many if any of the current coaches.

Jay has said he wanted Guenther as his DC before, don't want Paulie G back after this very disappointing season.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 03:37 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Spock is that you??  LMAO

No, just me getting in touch with my “inner geek.” I try to suppress my physics instincts and sometimes I fail miserably as I did in this case.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 04:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thought so, new that wasn't the case.

Man, sure hope MB steps aside and lets Katie pick a GM who knows his stuff. Right now i am thinking Jay Gruden and
Bill O'Brien for our new HC are the most likely and would absolutely love it to be Bill. He doesn't have any Bengal ties
really and i think would pick his own staff and not keep many if any of the current coaches.

Jay has said he wanted Guenther as his DC before, don't want Paulie G back after this very disappointing season.

If Marvin is actually gone, they may follow a similar process to the last time they did a search, which was 2 interviews off the staff (Duffner, Anderson) and 3 from the outside (Lewis, Coughling, Mularkey).

If so, Guenther and Simmons would be the most obvious for the staff interviews. For outside guys - and assuming Jay and Hue aren't available - I could see the most realistic candidates coming from guys like Todd Haley, Pat Shurmur, Frank Reich, Matt LeFleur and Harold Goodwin. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 04:38 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If Marvin is actually gone, they may follow a similar process to the last time they did a search, which was 2 interviews off the staff (Duffner, Anderson) and 3 from the outside (Lewis, Coughling, Mularkey).

If so, Guenther and Simmons would be the most obvious for the staff interviews. For outside guys - and assuming Jay and Hue aren't available - I could see the most realistic candidates coming from guys like Todd Haley, Pat Shurmur, Frank Reich, Matt LeFleur and Harold Goodwin. 

Love all the outside guys you mention except Goodwin who i know nothing about.

Haven't heard his name come up yet got any info on him Holic?
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 04:38 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If Marvin is actually gone, they may follow a similar process to the last time they did a search, which was 2 interviews off the staff (Duffner, Anderson) and 3 from the outside (Lewis, Coughling, Mularkey).

I don't know why, but Frank Reich seems to be sticking in my head. 
Reply/Quote
How worried are any of you that Brown seriously pursues a trade of Gruden with the Redskins?
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 04:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Love all the outside guys you mention except Goodwin who i know nothing about.

Haven't heard his name come up yet got any info on him Holic?

He's been Arizona's OC the last few years, working under Arians. Before that, he was the Colts o-line coach and spent time with the Steelers as an o-line quality control coach. He also coached o-line in college.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 04:49 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I don't know why, but Frank Reich seems to be sticking in my head. 

I think Reich could be a good one for us.

(12-28-2017, 04:50 PM)PhilHos Wrote: How worried are any of you that Brown seriously pursues a trade of Gruden with the Redskins?

I am a bit. Like i said don't want Guenther back and Jay wanted him as his DC before.

If Jay comes back i hope he has changed his mind on this one. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 04:55 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: He's been Arizona's OC the last few years, working under Arians. Before that, he was the Colts o-line coach and spent time with the Steelers as an o-line quality control coach. He also coached o-line in college.

Cool man thanks. Rock On

Sounds good to me, we get someone around here that knows O-line and things should be better.

If Russ Grimm is available sure would like him as well.
Reply/Quote
Mo Egger and James Rapien have been having a love affair with the idea of Brian Kelly.

Brian Kelly as HC and Hue Jackson as OC could be interesting, I guess.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 05:04 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Mo Egger and James Rapien have been having a love affair with the idea of Brian Kelly.  

Brian Kelly as HC and Hue Jackson as OC could be interesting, I guess.

Just so many options man i would be happy with as long as Marv, PA, Paulie G and Coyle are gone.

The talent on Defense was much better than on Offense this season. To be last in the NFL against the run and in stopping
3rd downs is unacceptable and i liked Guenther late last year. Coyle's soft zone is extremely frustrating to boot.
Reply/Quote