Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How soon after the Ravens game ...
(12-28-2017, 03:11 PM)PhilHos Wrote: ... will we know if Merv is truly gone? And if so, how soon after the Ravens game do we start a new head coaching search in earnest?

I have a feeling that we'll know the former pretty quickly (within the week I'm guessing), so I'm more interested in how long Brown waits before starting his search, assuming Merv is officially not coming back. And I mean, REALLY searching. Like talking to guys, interviewing candidates, etc. None of this, "Oh, we're putting a list together" crap.

Of course. I'm still holding out hope that Brown makes an announcement that Merv is not coming back AND that he's officially turning over the team to Katie who in turn announces she's starting the head coaching search by searching for a GM. Just goes to show, the Bengals haven't killed ALL my dreams, yet.  ThumbsUp

Well, you will in the near future have one more to add to the list of murder victims.

See, your mistake was not having the dream.  Your mistake was saying it out loud.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 04:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thought so, new that wasn't the case.

Man, sure hope MB steps aside and lets Katie pick a GM who knows his stuff. Right now i am thinking Jay Gruden and
Bill O'Brien for our new HC are the most likely and would absolutely love it to be Bill. He doesn't have any Bengal ties
really and i think would pick his own staff and not keep many if any of the current coaches.

Jay has said he wanted Guenther as his DC before, don't want Paulie G back after this very disappointing season.

I think Guenther did a good job overall, the problem is look at snaps for our defense with the 3 and outs on offense the defense just wore down, look at those stats between 1st and 2nd half... plus i don't think we played 3 full games with our starting LBs in the game.. but I do think Guenther moves on if he does not get the head job. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 05:04 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Mo Egger and James Rapien have been having a love affair with the idea of Brian Kelly.  

Brian Kelly as HC and Hue Jackson as OC could be interesting, I guess.

Brian Kelly equals NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO   Yawn Yawn Yawn
Reply/Quote
My dark horse is Tom Coughlin , they looked at him before and his track history is strong with Giants (hell they are way worse after him than before him) plus look at Jacksonville and their success since he went there. A change of pace from Marvin... MB could be thinking a back to Forrest Gregg with this selection
Reply/Quote
C'mon..Mikey AT BEST is busy with a chunk of cardboard and crayons to make a cardboard cut out of the next head coach. He MIGHT include a small motorized version that pretends to clap along the sidelines made from an old ceiling fan if we're really lucky.  :andy:   
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
An even bigger question than those already asked, “who on the outside would actually take the job?” Mike is a joke as an owner and it’s not just our little secret. I predict we will get a HC who will let Mike call the shots and not butt heads with him. That’s going to be the main ingredient Mike looks for in a HC.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 03:20 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: If Mike Brown does things like he usually does, he will hire a coach a week before training camp. He will control the draft and player decisions until then. That way the coach will have no time to plan and strategize so it will be just like when Marvin and the rest of his coaches were here.

When did this happen?
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 08:37 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: An even bigger question than those already asked, “who on the outside would actually take the job?” Mike is a joke as an owner and it’s not just our little secret. I predict we will get a HC who will let Mike call the shots and not butt heads with him. That’s going to be the main ingredient Mike looks for in a HC.

Someone who appreciates job security.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 08:48 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Someone who appreciates job security.

Yes. Good way to look at it because good or bad, this will likely be the last HC Mike hires in his lifetime.

Reply/Quote
I'd say we'll hear fairly quickly after season on Marvin's status, couple days ?

And of course what if anything that will follow is dependent on that. Fingers crossed !
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 08:49 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yes. Good way to look at it because good or bad, this will likely be the last HC Mike hires in his lifetime.

Yeah I think this next guy is going to be around for at least 4 years and it won't take much to get more than that.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 02:33 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I think Guenther did a good job overall, the problem is look at snaps for our defense with the 3 and outs on offense the defense just wore down, look at those stats between 1st and 2nd half... plus i don't think we played 3 full games with our starting LBs in the game.. but I do think Guenther moves on if he does not get the head job. 

I agree. And, I think MB is waiting to see if Gruden gets fired by the Skins. If he does, I suspect Jay will be the next head coach and PG will stay on as DC. Face it, defense was not our problem this year. While they have played better, the offense was horrendous this year. The Bears and Vikings were the only teams to put over 30 points on us, so we should have been able to win a lot of the games we lost if the offense had performed.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 02:33 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I think Guenther did a good job overall, the problem is look at snaps for our defense with the 3 and outs on offense the defense just wore down, look at those stats between 1st and 2nd half... plus i don't think we played 3 full games with our starting LBs in the game.. but I do think Guenther moves on if he does not get the head job. 

(12-29-2017, 11:01 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I agree. And, I think MB is waiting to see if Gruden gets fired by the Skins. If he does, I suspect Jay will be the next head coach and PG will stay on as DC. Face it, defense was not our problem this year. While they have played better, the offense was horrendous this year. The Bears and Vikings were the only teams to put over 30 points on us, so we should have been able to win a lot of the games we lost if the offense had performed.

Well i usually agree with you guys but i expected this Defense to play lights out this year. Sure the Offense didn't help
them out, but giving up the most rushing yards in the league doesn't help getting rest. Being the worst at getting off the
field on 3rd downs doesn't help getting rest either.

Billings being hurt and clearly not back to what he was sure hurt us as a whole in this situation but Glasgow, Sims and
even Tapou have been known for stopping the run.

Atleast we were one of the best redzone Defenses i will give Guenther that.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 02:41 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: My dark horse is Tom Coughlin , they looked at him before and his track history is strong with Giants (hell they are way worse after him than before him) plus look at Jacksonville and their success since he went there.  A change of pace from Marvin... MB could be thinking a back to Forrest Gregg with this selection

While i cannot argue with the results, damn Coughlin is old.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 09:35 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Yeah I think this next guy is going to be around for at least 4 years and it won't take much to get more than that.

Like 1 win? LOL...

Reply/Quote