Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How the Browns' trade for AJ McCarron fell apart
I know I have my own area, but figured this was big enough to put here. It's been a really long day heading into, you know, the busiest day of any regular season week with game plan Wednesday -- but definitely leave any questions below and I promise I will get to them.

Weird stuff.

Thanks for any shares on social.
http://cin.ci/2zndb8k
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Do you think AJ is worth a 2nd round tender if he remains in restricted free agency status for 2018? Also what do to think the chances are that he gets his status overturned and ends up being an unrestricted free agent? I've heard that might be an issue.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Off topic, but did the Bengals even have any internal discussions about trading to improve this laughably bad o-line?

There were a few good tackles and a guard on the market apparently. 

It's discouraging to say the least that Marv and the FO seem so carefree about the situation.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 01:18 AM)jowczarski Wrote: I know I have my own area, but figured this was big enough to put here. It's been a really long day heading into, you know, the busiest day of any regular season week with game plan Wednesday -- but definitely leave any questions below and I promise I will get to them.

Weird stuff.

Thanks for any shares on social.
http://cin.ci/2zndb8k

Yeah, the Browns changed their minds.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
So the two results from this Browned (instead of Bungled) trade attempt:

1) The Brownies essentially screwed us out of a 2nd and 3rd round draft pick
2) The market has been set for McCarron's services (2nd rd+)

I'm guessing if AJ's RFA status appeal for 2018 is denied, the Bengals will tender him with a 1st round pick knowing every other NFL team knows they were willing to part with him for a 2nd and 3rd. Thus he will walk in 2019 for a compensatory pick...
Reply/Quote
You'd think the league would be willing to work with thr Browns over a paperwork mishap. Helping one of the worst teams in the league would help bring in more revenue.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 07:18 AM)Synric Wrote: You'd think the league would be willing to work with thr Browns over a paperwork mishap. Helping one of the worst teams in the league would help bring in more revenue.

I thought this as well. Then I thought, hell, why does it matter anyway? Nobody wants to play here. But I agree with you. The turmoil the league finds itself today, you would think they would provide some leniency. Who’s to say they won’t reconsider today? Bottom line, the Bengals were trading for draft picks and not addressing the OL which means they still are blinded to the fact of how horrible it is or just don’t care about the rest of the season. If the latter is true, Marvin has already been reassured of an extension for next year!

Ugh!

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 07:18 AM)Synric Wrote: You'd think the league would be willing to work with thr Browns over a paperwork mishap. Helping one of the worst teams in the league would help bring in more revenue.

Can you imagine the can of worms that would open? The next team that doesn't get it's paperwork in before the deadline would just ask for a "Browns Rule". That's why it would never happen, a deadline is a deadline.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 08:07 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Can you imagine the can of worms that would open? The next team that doesn't get it's paperwork in before the deadline would just ask for a "Browns Rule". That's why it would never happen, a deadline is a deadline.

Tells me that neither side must have been "all in" on the deal, otherwise it would have gotten done.  As it stands, both sides can now claim 'hey, we tried", whilst pointing fingers at the other side for not getting the paperwork in.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 08:18 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Tells me that neither side must have been "all in" on the deal, otherwise it would have gotten done.  As it stands, both sides can now claim 'hey, we tried", whilst pointing fingers at the other side for not getting the paperwork in.

What else would you have Cincy do, drive to Cleveland and put their paperwork in for them? And after this, does anyone seriously want Hue Jackson back???
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 08:44 AM)Sled21 Wrote: What else would you have Cincy do, drive to Cleveland and put their paperwork in for them? And after this, does anyone seriously want Hue Jackson back???

From what I'm reading, both sides are claiming that the other failed to get their paperwork right, and on time.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/new-report-suggest-it-was-bengals-who-botched-aj-mccarron-deal-not-browns/ar-AAuinEN?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

Quote:Cabot tweeted that the Browns sent a signed document to the Bengals to sign and submit to the NFL, confirming the trade. Cincinnati, however, sent in a document signed by only one team.

This flips the blame from Cleveland to Cincinnati, though at this point it's safe to say both sides share in the inability to get the deal done in time.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 08:44 AM)Sled21 Wrote: What else would you have Cincy do, drive to Cleveland and put their paperwork in for them? And after this, does anyone seriously want Hue Jackson back???

Hue wanted AJ,The problem is the front office maybe not so much as they are the ones who submit paperwork. The rumor floating now is someone in the front office intentionally did this in a kind of "going rogue" act.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 08:18 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Tells me that neither side must have been "all in" on the deal, otherwise it would have gotten done.  As it stands, both sides can now claim 'hey, we tried", whilst pointing fingers at the other side for not getting the paperwork in.

Yes, I rather have a store mannequin than Marvin Lewis, or better yet the wild wacky inflatable tube man would be more efficient.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 08:07 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Can you imagine the can of worms that would open? The next team that doesn't get it's paperwork in before the deadline would just ask for a "Browns Rule". That's why it would never happen, a deadline is a deadline.

There is an appeal process so I'm guessing this wouldn't be the first time.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
The fact that the Bengals were unwilling to discuss a trade with Mccarron until they were pretty much forced too (offer they couldnt refuse) just tells you how pathetic and inept this FO is.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote

Right? How hard is it, really? This is like giving a second grader a break because he forgot to turn in his homework assignment. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 09:25 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The fact that the Bengals were unwilling to discuss a trade with Mccarron until they were pretty much forced too (offer they couldnt refuse) just tells you how pathetic and inept this FO is.

The way it seems to me is the Bengals think they are gonna get a 2nd round tender on McCarron that teams are likely to jump on. That means there is no point in talk to anyone offering less than a 2nd. They pushed the process all the way up until the Browns caved 20 minutes before the deadline and offered a 2nd and 3rd. It's a shame that it didn't work out but they still will most likely have that 2nd round tender to fall back on.

Reply/Quote
Another set of teams got their trades in at 3:57 PM, so it's not an uncommon occurrence for trades to occur at that time.

I find it interesting that what if the fax machine, internet, or cell connection breaks around that time? They probably use a land line to call. I know my cell is not trustworthy to make a call at 3:59 PM if my life depended on it, lol.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 09:25 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The fact that the Bengals were unwilling to discuss a trade with Mccarron until they were pretty much forced too (offer they couldnt refuse) just tells you how pathetic and inept this FO is.

Have you ever done a deal, or do you pay full sticker price on everything you buy? Of course you wait until you get an offer you can't refuse, that's part of getting a sweet deal, like an early 2nd and 3rd round pick for your 5th rd. QB.
Reply/Quote

Perhaps they did by not letting the trade go through. Ninja

Was reading some Browns boards, a lot are relieved it didn't happen.

Of coarse it could have all just been a TRICK on Mike Brown in the first place. It was Halloween and the asking price was crazy.

Reply/Quote