Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How the NFL should address the national anthem controversy
(06-19-2020, 07:49 PM)6andcounting Wrote: Doesn't the Pentagon pay leagues to do the national anthem? I think after this got talked about with the kapernick thing leagues said they would no longer accept Pentagon money to do it, but I thought that's why it started being part of every pre-game. 

It dates back to WW2 I believe.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
I don't about the Pentagon anymore, but pretty sure they did.

But yeah, it started shortly after WW2 when the NFL commissioner required it to be played before every game, at least from what I read.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
My opinion on Kaepernick has always been this . . . it was stupid and misguided for HOW LONG he continued to kneel. I never had a problem with the kneeling.

If he would have knelt for a couple of Pre-Season games until he got attention and then acknowledged that his kneeling offended a certain population and stopped kneeling . . . he might have gotten more of those that were initially offended to actually hear his message since he would have showed that he had heard theirs.

Outside of high ranking politicians, how many occupations have microphones thrust in their face everyday more than a starting NFL QB? If he answered every question with "Well, I'd like to speak about BLM, Eric Garner and other current events with someone at your agency that covers more important topics than sports, so if you can help make that happen, I would greatly appreciate that. As far as the Legion Of Boom and what threats they impose that other Defensive Backfields don't, well, to start off, there are no weak spots . . ."
He probably wouldn't still be a starting QB but I think if he took that approach, he'd have been in the league the whole time.

This is a YouTube link to a short Richard Pryor skit in 1974. It has the N word in the title so I'll leave it in the link instead of putting the full video up. 46 years ago and nothing's really changed. This needs to stop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf3ZiSZPMYU
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
(06-19-2020, 07:52 PM)jason Wrote: It dates back to WW2 I believe.

(06-20-2020, 12:07 AM)Millhouse Wrote: I don't about the Pentagon anymore, but pretty sure they did.

But yeah, it started shortly after WW2 when the NFL commissioner required it to be played before every game, at least from what I read.

Now that I think of it, maybe it was actually airing it pre-game that the Pentagon was paying for and not simply playing it in stadium.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
(06-20-2020, 04:31 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: This is a YouTube link to a short Richard Pryor skit in 1974. It has the N word in the title so I'll leave it in the link instead of putting the full video up. 46 years ago and nothing's really changed. This needs to stop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf3ZiSZPMYU

Good stuff.

Steve Harvey has a great line about how the NFL rolls out the veterans before games as a PR stunt.  Maybe not a direct quote but it goes something like "You notice how the one thing they never give the vet is the MICROPHONE.  They afraid he migth say something about the VA or cutting veterans benefits.  Can't have that.  Just stand there quietly and look honorable so we can feel good about ourselves for saluting you."
(06-20-2020, 12:10 PM)6andcounting Wrote: Now that I think of it, maybe it was actually airing it pre-game that the Pentagon was paying for and not simply playing it in stadium.

They were paying for the Salute to Service month in November I think.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021