Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How things got this bad?
(11-10-2019, 07:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly, what has Taylor done this year or in his entire coaching career to show he's more than a QB Coach in the NFL?

He got a lot of jobs because he married Mike Sherman's daughter. Jim Turner is the reason he got hired as the OC at UC. He's done very little to actually stand on his own.

I hate this because you are so arrogant about this, but you speak truth. I'm over ZT and company now. 
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 08:09 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I agree.  Lewis did amazing job as DC last year as well given the injuries.  

The only hope is that Mike Brown retires at the end of this year and is completely removed from the organization.  Even then, it may not improve.  They need to hire a new GM and maybe they could get Kubiac and other coaches here.  

Yes - Basically none of the Bengals management would be hired to be even a GM with another team.

I doubt that Taylor would be hired as a HC or GM anywhere. That's our braintrust.

Lewis had a ton of success as a DC and had guys like Zimmer here who was Bill Parcells right-hand man. I suspect that's the reason we had some great drafts.

Honestly, the Bengals model...Coach, Scout, Gameplan, Evaluate Talent...it's A LOT for any coaches outside of like a Bill Parcells to do. An inexperienced guy like Taylor decided to do all that AND make himself Offensive Coordinator. It's failed miserably.

In other organizations, a HC has Gameplanning and Coaching duties. ie There's more cushion to lessen the risk of a total flop. Here, that net isn't in effect and Taylor has miserably failed.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 08:25 PM)Goalpost Wrote: 2014 and 2015 drafts were just horrendous.  These players from those years would have been in the prime of their careers.  Instead out of 17 picks....we have but Dennard and Uzomah to show for it.  We whiffed bad either picking or developing.  It's no wonder we have holes everywhere.

Yep.  And yet the same people get to make decisions on draft day, even as we watch the consequences bear out on the field.  
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 08:26 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I hate this because you are so arrogant about this, but you speak truth. I'm over ZT and company now. 

That may be the nicest thing you've ever said to me.  Hilarious 

In all seriousness, my personality is heavily logic-drive and I'm good at analyzing things. I'm not very emotional. I basically did research on Taylor when he was hired and what I saw worried me.

Now, where things REALLY went south is the Bengals have their coaches scout college and NFL free agents, gameplan, create playbooks, coach, and be the PR for the team. It's a HUGE ASK for anyone outside of a Parcells level genius. Taylor gets hired for a job he's not ready for, and he decides to make himself offensive coordinator too! A role he's struggled at. And he has a chance at Del Rio, they talk and that falls through.

With other NFL Teams...coaches coach and gameplan. There's a reason they have so many scouts, etc. It lessens the responsibility on coaches. Here that net isn't there and Taylor has failed miserably.

When coaching is this bad...players regress...which is my case for firing Taylor. You keep him and this staff...and they could ruin a #1 pick. You bring in a Mike McCarthy with 2 good coordinators and they might be able to salvage guys.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 08:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That may be the nicest thing you've ever said to me.  Hilarious 

In all seriousness, my personality is heavily logic-drive and I'm good at analyzing things. I'm not very emotional. I basically did research on Taylor when he was hired and what I saw worried me.

Now, where things REALLY went south is the Bengals have their coaches scout college and NFL free agents, gameplan, create playbooks, coach, and be the PR for the team. It's a HUGE ASK for anyone outside of a Parcells level genius. Taylor gets hired for a job he's not ready for, and he decides to make himself offensive coordinator too! A role he's struggled at. And he has a chance at Del Rio, they talk and that falls through.

With other NFL Teams...coaches coach and gameplan. There's a reason they have so many scouts, etc. It lessens the responsibility on coaches. Here that net isn't there and Taylor has failed miserably.

When coaching is this bad...players regress...which is my case for firing Taylor. You keep him and this staff...and they could ruin a #1 pick. You bring in a Mike McCarthy with 2 good coordinators and they might be able to salvage guys.

You forgot the ninja...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 08:23 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Two words - Mike Brown

It’s as simple as this. When they had a good team, he wouldn’t bring in the additional pieces to put them over the top. Instead, he did the opposite and let players walk. There was a window that the Bengals has a very fine and young nucleus. He did everything he could to allow that window to close and now it has. AJ, Dunlap and Geno aren’t the same studs that they were. Mike didn’t care enough when they were!
Reply/Quote
The question remains: How do the Cincinnati Bengals turn it around and start winning? The answer goes far beyond dethroning the Brown Family and hiring a general manager. This inept, sorry organization needs a complete change in culture. Just four years ago we were thinking “Super Bowl!” and now we’re in the Toilet Bowl. I hate the Patriots and especially their septuagenarian pervert massage parlor rub and tug loving owner but he has established a culture of winning. The Bengals’ only culture is in their yogurt.

We need accountability which is something else Zac Taylor shaded the truth about. There is no accountability in Cincinnati; if there was half of the coaches would be gone and the usual starters — not just Andy Dalton — would be on the bench. The Front Office is fine with the status quo, and soon we’ll hear Mikey Boy’s excuse, saying Ryan Finley needs time to “cut his teeth” in the NFL while plenty of other rookies came pro-ready from college and play well right away.

It’s time to change my the entire defensive scheme too. I’m sure Jack Del Rio has the Bengals’ number blocked on his phone.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 08:00 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: If McCarthy will come to the Bengals, it would be a great move because it would give credence to the team.  But I think McCarthy will go to the Browns.  

Unless McCarthy is bringing Rodgers with him then he isn't doing anything with whichever team he goes to.  Number 12 was the biggest reason for GB's success during the MM era. His playmaking abilities is why MM looked like a great to good coach.  It's very telling The Packrats almost immediately got better once Mike left.  
[img]http://[Image: power-rangers-dinozords-ranking-tigerzor...mhpcjr.jpg][/img]
Reply/Quote
Look at the head coach's resume. His accomplishments include:
-Coaching the 123rd(out of 128) scoring offense as a college OC.
-Coaching Ryan Tannehill, a guy who can't read NFL defenses and has never looked like a good NFL starter.
-Going 2-3 as an interim OC, scoring 17 points a game and regressing from Bill Lazor's per game averages.
-Coaching Goff, who has looked like a very good QB, but who was reliant upon a great running game and looked completely stumped against quarters coverage all game in the Super Bowl. 

The ownership is putrid, the roster has major holes, hiring a staff on such short notice is hard, BUT that doesn't change the fact that he's just not qualified. He has done nothing to convince anyone that he's one of the 32 best coaches. It's a case of having a plumber try to be a surgeon. The tools may be dull, the hospital management may be incompetent, he may have to walk to work every day uphill 10 miles in the snow, but that doesn't mean that he'll ever be good at surgery even without such encumberments.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 07:57 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I like Taylor and still think he may work but it has to be the coaching as a whole. I also lost some faith in Taylor the moment he hired Turner. Lou looks like a terrible hire.

Of Course the Mike Brown era as an owner is the worst in sport history...any sport.

All true. I also think if Taylor is going to hold the players accountable (Ad he should) with the benching of Dalton. He needs to hold himself as well as the staff accountable. He needs to fire the DC, no way in hell can we go into next year with this guy. He also needs to step down from play calling and see what the OC can do or try to find another.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 08:41 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: It’s as simple as this. When they had a good team, he wouldn’t bring in the additional pieces to put them over the top. Instead, he did the opposite and let players walk. There was a window that the Bengals has a very fine and young nucleus. He did everything he could to allow that window to close and now it has. AJ, Dunlap and Geno aren’t the same studs that they were. Mike didn’t care enough when they were!

And it's not the first time he's done it.  Sick
Reply/Quote
How did we get here?

Simple, we missed on two tackles in the same draft, forcing us to use resources that could have gone to addressing other positions of need to try and fix the first two mistakes.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 09:54 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: How did we get here?

Simple, we missed on two tackles in the same draft, forcing us to use resources that could have gone to addressing other positions of need to try and fix the first two mistakes.

Honestly, the offensive line wasn't the issue today. The line played well.

The defense was the major issue.

It's hard to pinpoint this down to 1 or 2 things.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 10:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly, the offensive line wasn't the issue today. The line played well.

The defense was the major issue.

It's hard to pinpoint this down to 1 or 2 things.

Part of my point was trading picks to get Glenn, and then using a first rounder on Williams.  Had Ced and Fisher worked out, those picks were free to address other needs, like line backer.
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 10:07 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Part of my point was trading picks to get Glenn, and then using a first rounder on Williams.  Had Ced and Fisher worked out, those picks were free to address other needs, like line backer.

They swapped picks with the Bills for Glenn...so moved down several spots for Price. They likely would have taken a Center had we stayed.

On Williams? Yeah could have used that pick elsewhere. Who knows where.

Honestly, it feels like they don't think LB is an issue. They could have also signed one in free agency, but they didn't.
Reply/Quote
The roster downfall happened in the 2017 off season. Blowing the Whitworth and Zeitler situation ruined them. Ever since then they have been struggling with to replace those guys.
On top of that they have had nothing but misses in FA, 1st RD, and in the Trade market to further hurt the problem.
As well as injuries losing Boiling and Green has been a killer.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Take an aging roster, add mike brown draft picks, a #30 something defense do nothing to improve it, throw in a coach that has never been a coordinator. Wa la you get bengals defense.

Resign bobby hart, because tackles are not at Walmart, add the red BB gun that the receivers have to stop on deep balls to come back to it to catch it. Horrible luck with #1 draft pick. Also 3 past (not this years) line draft picks being really bad. A.J. not being healthy for 3 or 4 years praying he will come back and play a 16 game season. Having 3 tight ends and not using them. Resigning Bernard and not using him. A HC and offense coordinator with no experience. Who seem lost and over there heads.you get the offense we have.

Throw in mike, Tobin, the Blackburn’s. On top you get goodie cake.

New Dey.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 10:21 PM)J24 Wrote: The roster downfall happened in the 2017 off season. Blowing the Whitworth and Zeitler situation ruined them. Ever since then they have been struggling with to replace those guys.
On top of that they have had nothing but misses in FA, 1st RD, and in the  Trade market to further hurt the problem.
As well as injuries losing Boiling and Green has been a killer.

They lost Jones, Sanu, Nelson, Hall, Peko...and guys like that also around that time.

That weakened them.

Our depth is terrible and we can't overcome injuries.

The Steelers just beat the Rams with the 2nd string QB, without Conner and Tuitt. With Brown and Bell gone from the season before.

Coaching matters too. A LOT.

Honestly, it's such a trainwreck. We'd be better off compiling a list of what's actually right than what's wrong.
Reply/Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=10&v=s2R2sH2ScBM&feature=emb_logo
Reply/Quote