Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How things got this bad?
(11-10-2019, 11:14 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: It's sad to say that losing Marvin has left us in this mess.  He had MB's ear and I think he was able to make him bend in some instances.  Now that ZT is here, MB has regained full control of the mothership and we are going to burn all of NEXT season as well while we wait for MB to get his money's worth out of him.

BTW, I can't seem to find how many year contract ZT received?  I'm assuming he got at least 2 years.  Anyone know?

Even when MB retires/dies/etc., the chances the rest of his family manage exactly the same way he did is extremely high.  Our best shot now is that someone from the outside buys the team, but that's a real long shot.

The team would have to be for sale for someone to actually buy it.

Honestly, I think one of the reasons they spend so frugally is they are worried about inheritance taxes from when he dies...so they can keep the team in the family.
Reply/Quote
Poor overall drafting of late (despite some hits like Mixon and Boyd), 4 years of ignoring the line in free agency, throwing money at Bobby Hart, a bad coaching staff that was severely hurt by the late start to the searches, etc etc.

Or you could just sum it up by saying Mike Brown is inept.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 08:00 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: If McCarthy will come to the Bengals, it would be a great move because it would give credence to the team.  But I think McCarthy will go to the Browns.  

No experienced NFL former HC would come here and work under MB, unless he did a complete 180 and allowed them to run the show, which he won't. So they won't. 

That's why they end up with a guy like Zac Taylor. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 11:42 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No experienced NFL former HC would come here and work under MB, unless he did a complete 180 and allowed them to run the show, which he won't. So they won't. 

That's why they end up with a guy like Zac Taylor. 

We got a young QB coach with superbowl experience. Are you telling me that he was our last choice. Unlikely  Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
Why is the roster still the same? When has anyone seen a coaching staff gutted, only to not only keep the roster of a losing team exactly the same but not pick up any FA’s? We have no identity on this team, none on offense, definitely none on defense. Hell we don’t even know if we’re in win now mode or rebuilding. The offseason would suggest the FO thought we had a chance this year. Yet no major FA’s were brought in, no real effort to fix the weak spots. By not firing Marvin after the meltdown in 15 not only did it drag out and age this roster with this bs methodology but caused us to miss out on some pretty good coaches. What coach would want to come here now? Serious, who in their right mind would look at this organization and say to themself that’s where I can make a name for myself. Apparently 7 DC’s felt the same way.

The 2015 season is when it went to shit, should have been gutted and rebuilt, coaches and players and MB dropped the ball. We had a pretty good roster at the time and a decent coach may have took a chance here. Since then all the moves we made have had a huge negative impact on this team. All because Brown wanted to give Marvin more time but not the resources or authority to make a positive impact. Combine all this with horrible draft choices the past four years and you get what we have now. No depth, aging players and a yes sir coach who has no idea what to do.
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown as soon as he let mike Zimmer leave or when he hired Marvin Lewis instead of Tom Coughlin.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 11:14 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: It's sad to say that losing Marvin has left us in this mess.  He had MB's ear and I think he was able to make him bend in some instances.  Now that ZT is here, MB has regained full control of the mothership and we are going to burn all of NEXT season as well while we wait for MB to get his money's worth out of him.

BTW, I can't seem to find how many year contract ZT received?  I'm assuming he got at least 2 years.  Anyone know?

Even when MB retires/dies/etc., the chances the rest of his family manage exactly the same way he did is extremely high.  Our best shot now is that someone from the outside buys the team, but that's a real long shot.

Don’t you know Zac is in the first year of a 16 year contract! That’s how we roll here. I’m willing to give Zac a pass this year. Remember this team sucked last year under Marvin, it’s not like Marvin left and we all of a sudden sucked. This has been in the works the past 4 years. Zac has got to get some new coaches. This D cannot go into next season with this clown. Zac has got to step down from the play calling, at least till he gets his feet under him. Back to the coordinators for a sec. there’s talent in this D, yes their getting old and have no depth but these players should not be 0-9 and the definitely shouldn’t be historically bad. You see guys wide open, I mean nobody around. That’s not a player struggling to stay with his man ( May be the case with the LBers) but that’s coaching and schemes. This D coordinator has to be the worst in the league by far. Sure some of the players are playing bad or just not even trying anymore but this D coach does nothing to adjust. This D line has some good players, what is the problem? How can we have Dunlap, Adkins, Hubbard even Lawson and not get a damn thing out of these guys. It’s maddening. Really is unbeleivable.
Reply/Quote
Ignoring glaring needs on defense started this mess.
Reply/Quote
MB re-resigns our own players regardless of their talent. He depends on the draft but you only find 1-2 quality guys a year. Never signs GOOD free agents. Hires inexperienced coaches that arent qualified for the job. He takes vacation days prior to the trade deadline. Oh and yes he wont make trades.

We are the ones funding MB....stop going to games...stop buying merchandise. Stop giving MB money.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 12:08 AM)cincyfan429 Wrote: Mike Brown as soon as he let mike Zimmer leave or when he hired Marvin Lewis instead of Tom Coughlin.

Pretty much everyone on here identified Zimmer as the guy to keep as the Head Coach on here. Mr Mike couldn’t see it though!
Reply/Quote
It's pretty simple, really.

The Bengals have missed in the draft over the past 3-4 years (especially first rounders). They have also lost quality players to free agency. Couple that with some key injuries (AJ Green), an aging core group of players, and rookie coaching and you have this disaster.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
IF Taylor gets fired...you'll see a Jay Gruden, Guenther, or Hue Jackson as the HC.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 10:28 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It's pretty simple, really.

The Bengals have missed in the draft over the past 3-4 years (especially first rounders). They have also lost quality players to free agency. Couple that with some key injuries (AJ Green), an aging core group of players, and rookie coaching and you have this disaster.

Yep and the Front Office has failed to realize they should be in total rebuild mode. The window has closed with all the aging stars. We should have approached it like Oakland did when they hired Gruden. Total reboot, trade any players with draft capital and build quicker. Unfortunately we gave extensions to guys nearing decline and are now stuck with players whose value is decreasing. As always it is the Front Office that failed!
Reply/Quote
It has been bad since the early 90's. The few 'good' seasons are the outliers, not the bad seasons. The bad seasons are the norm. It appears we got lucky with a few drafts and landing a few good coordinators at once. Otherwise, this has been a bad clown show for nearly 3 decades.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 07:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well, you take a roster that is mediocre even with an established NFL Head Coach...and you hire a HC who has very little experience...and let him hire a staff. Proven coaches see he's not ready to be a HC, so they turn you down. He hires his friends...who have no coordinator experience too. Then, he tries to copy schemes and practices from a legit NFL Team like the Rams including doing an easy training camp.

In games the playcalling is horrible. Players regress. And deep down, the players know the staff is terrible.

Also, glaring needs aren't addressed in free agency. And the team has very few scouts.

It's just a perfect storm of ineptness.

This team on the entire staff...our of the HC and 2 coordinators has 5 games of NFL coordinator experience going into this year. None of those guys had any experience preparing a team.

Honestly, my best case to fire the staff and start over is so we don't ruin the #1 overall pick. Bring a guy like Mike McCarthy in and let him hire a good OC and DC.

The roster was below average coming into the season, not mediocre....then you have an inexperienced staff. That's not exactly setting yourself up for success.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 11:52 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: It has been bad since the early 90's. The few 'good' seasons are the outliers, not the bad seasons. The bad seasons are the norm. It appears we got lucky with a few drafts and landing a few good coordinators at once. Otherwise, this has been a bad clown show for nearly 3 decades.

Pretty much....you couple all of that with a bad 2015 draft, aging core, and not much else behind it....you get this mess.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
2019 Mike Brown built a time machine went back 20 years and told the 1999 Mike Brown to hold his beer.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 10:28 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It's pretty simple, really.

How you left out the worst ownership in sports in addition to all that I'll never know.
Reply/Quote
When a few players look really bad you try to figure out what the problem is with them individually.

When EVERYONE looks bad (including young healthy veterans who have played better before) it has to be the coaching.

Not saying we don't have to make some major upgrades to our roster, but we have some talented players on defense (Jackson, Bates, Kirkpatrick, Dunlap, Atkins) that have disappeared.
Reply/Quote