Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How things got this bad?
Give us your most logical idea on just how things got as bad as they are now. Every position group is just pathetic, absolutely pathetic this year. Worse than last year. I’m sure most of the problems were building the past 4 years missing on draft picks while letting good players walk. But there has to be even more to it than that. Personally I think we have some good players, take the D for instance. The D line has everyone healthy yet they can’t do anything. So what gives. Is coaching, schemes, play calling a result?
Reply/Quote
I like Taylor and still think he may work but it has to be the coaching as a whole. I also lost some faith in Taylor the moment he hired Turner. Lou looks like a terrible hire.

Of Course the Mike Brown era as an owner is the worst in sport history...any sport.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well, you take a roster that is mediocre even with an established NFL Head Coach...and you hire a HC who has very little experience...and let him hire a staff. Proven coaches see he's not ready to be a HC, so they turn you down. He hires his friends...who have no coordinator experience too. Then, he tries to copy schemes and practices from a legit NFL Team like the Rams including doing an easy training camp.

In games the playcalling is horrible. Players regress. And deep down, the players know the staff is terrible.

Also, glaring needs aren't addressed in free agency. And the team has very few scouts.

It's just a perfect storm of ineptness.

This team on the entire staff...our of the HC and 2 coordinators has 5 games of NFL coordinator experience going into this year. None of those guys had any experience preparing a team.

Honestly, my best case to fire the staff and start over is so we don't ruin the #1 overall pick. Bring a guy like Mike McCarthy in and let him hire a good OC and DC.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 07:57 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I like Taylor and still think he may work but it has to be the coaching as a whole.  I also lost some faith in Taylor the moment he hired Turner. Lou looks like a terrible hire.

Honestly, what has Taylor done this year or in his entire coaching career to show he's more than a QB Coach in the NFL?

He got a lot of jobs because he married Mike Sherman's daughter. Jim Turner is the reason he got hired as the OC at UC. He's done very little to actually stand on his own.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 07:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well, you take a roster that is mediocre even with an established NFL Head Coach...and you hire a HC who has very little experience...and let him hire a staff. Proven coaches see he's not ready to be a HC, so they turn you down. He hires his friends...who have no coordinator experience too. Then, he tries to copy schemes and practices from a legit NFL Team like the Rams including doing an easy training camp.

In games the playcalling is horrible. Players regress. And deep down, the players know the staff is terrible.

Also, glaring needs aren't addressed in free agency. And the team has very few scouts.

It's just a perfect storm of ineptness.

This team on the entire staff...our of the HC and 2 coordinators has 5 games of NFL coordinator experience going into this year. None of those guys had any experience preparing a team.

Honestly, my best case to fire the staff and start over is so we don't ruin the #1 overall pick. Bring a guy like Mike McCarthy in and let him hire a good OC and DC.

If McCarthy will come to the Bengals, it would be a great move because it would give credence to the team.  But I think McCarthy will go to the Browns.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
The last two years, Cincinnati has had miserable defensive coordinators. Two years of bad coaching, they are going to regress. Add to that LB was never addressed and was, for the most part, being held together by a prime Vontaze. Once he dropped his play, the weaknesses really came out. The defensive line is getting older and again, have been playing within pitiful scheming and play calling.

Since Hue has left, Cincinnati really hasn’t had a talented play caller. On top of that, a lot of the offensive line talented has either retired or left which has left our skilled position players getting hung out to dry. Since then, many of the draft picks have been whiffs (Ross/Price).

Talent has left all over the board and it hasn’t been replenished.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 08:00 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: If McCarthy will come to the Bengals, it would be a great move because it would give credence to the team.  But I think McCarthy will go to the Browns.  

Which is the thing. Likely an established coach won't want to come here.

The only thing attractive is the 1st pick IF we get it.

I feel like Marvin did an incredible job winning with this dysfunctional organization. In hindsight, IF he coached for a legit team like the Steelers...he probably wins a SB by now.
Reply/Quote
There is only one constant and it's the same guy we blamed 20+ years ago.

This douchebag

[Image: jolly-fool.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I hope the Bengals bring in an experienced run game/offensive line guy like the Redskins did in 2015 with Bill Callahan for Sean McVay and Jay Gruden.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 08:00 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: The last two years, Cincinnati has had miserable defensive coordinators. Two years of bad coaching, they are going to regress. Add to that LB was never addressed and was, for the most part, being held together by a prime Vontaze. Once he dropped his play, the weaknesses really came out. The defensive line is getting older and again, have been playing within pitiful scheming and play calling.

Since Hue has left, Cincinnati really hasn’t had a talented play caller. On top of that, a lot of the offensive line talented has either retired or left which has left our skilled position players getting hung out to dry. Since then, many of the draft picks have been whiffs (Ross/Price).

Talent has left all over the board and it hasn’t been replenished.

We lost A LOT of talent in free agency after the Steelers playoff loss and then the next year. I started a thread at the time about it. And we failed to replace it.

Honestly, it's the perfect storm of a bunch of things going wrong.

Bad drafting, not signing free agents, poor coaching, poor scheme, etc.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 08:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Which is the thing. Likely an established coach won't want to come here.

The only thing attractive is the 1st pick IF we get it.

I feel like Marvin did an incredible job winning with this dysfunctional organization. In hindsight, IF he coached for a legit team like the Steelers...he probably wins a SB by now.

I agree.  Lewis did amazing job as DC last year as well given the injuries.  

The only hope is that Mike Brown retires at the end of this year and is completely removed from the organization.  Even then, it may not improve.  They need to hire a new GM and maybe they could get Kubiac and other coaches here.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 07:51 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Give us your most logical idea on just how things got as bad as they are now. Every position group is just pathetic, absolutely pathetic this year. Worse than last year. I’m sure most of the problems were building the past 4 years missing on draft picks while letting good players walk. But there has to be even more to it than that. Personally I think we have some good players, take the D for instance. The D line has everyone healthy yet they can’t do anything. So what gives. Is coaching, schemes, play calling a result?

Players are not held accountable and I believe there is some insanity going on with this whole staff and ZT is way above his head with being a HC.I am believing they will not win a game with these so-called players.Most of them are just not good enough and would never be drafted by a ravens team.To allow a team to come to your place and put up 49 points,that is just crazy.I would have to fight someone and kicked out.ZT is too much of a nice guy and he does not know how to call plays,most of these players would never been drafted by a ravens team.We will not win a afc north game.I believe we are going to be O-16 and if that happens ,ZT needs to be FIRED. Right now this so-called bengals bunch are the worst team in all of sports and that's in every category.so so sad and I feel so so bad for all us long long suffering fans.Its so so unfair.TOTALLY INSANITY IN EVERY WAY YOU CAN THINK OF. :paul: :paul: :paul: :paul: :paul: :paul:

Reply/Quote
I think Marvin would have won a couple championships in another organization, with a good GM or owner who actually tries to win.

The guy took a ton of heat from fans but he did the best he could
Reply/Quote
It's a trajectory that began in 2015 with the drafting of the two shitbag OTs. That led to one team leader and standout player in Whitworth being let go without a comparable replacement. It was also an empty draft with the exception of the average Uzomah. That draft was not only worthless, but also damaging on a level that it still hasn't been rectified almost a half-decade later.

I'll also make the strange assertion that despite his character flaws, Adam Jones kept the defense honest in terms of effort and accountability. there's little question in my mind that after Zimmer left, that Pacman was the undisputed alpha male on that unit. He left and the spirit went out of them. Carlos and Geno are fine players, but they aren't vocal leaders. Nobody else's level of play justifies them having the juice to take that spot. Adam succumbed to age and decline (and stupidity), and Vontaze fell to injury and stupidity.

Since then, there has been zero leadership or accountability on that side of the ball. We've cycled 2 coordinators through. Austin was highly regarded when he came in, but looked like he was lost here. Anarumo is just Zac's buddy from the Miami days and sucks about at bad as you'd expect a guy that was the seventh choice to suck.

Add in that the team has blown 3 first round picks in a row on absentee or bad players, and you're screwed from a personnel standpoint. They don't sign anything but scrub ******* assbag last-chance clowns and castoff losers in free agency, so the quality of the roster is naturally going to take a dive.

The coaching sucks. The biggest change they made was gutting the staff. That's terrific, but they hired another bunch of losers to coach the losers they later signed in free agency. They hired a new coach, but either gave him inadequate staff to support him, or gave him the chance to pick his bros, which he was all to happy to (stupidly) take them up on. Honestly, I'm not so sure Zac shouldn't be fired at the end of the year. he looks as lost as his buddy Louie Slapnuts out there.

Basically the people here in charge don't really want to win. They just don't care. They're about grift and collecting the near 300 million dollar welfare check from the league every year. They're not just bad, they're liars. Anyone who thinks they're trying to win is delusional.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 08:09 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I agree.  Lewis did amazing job as DC last year as well given the injuries.  

The only hope is that Mike Brown retires at the end of this year and is completely removed from the organization.  Even then, it may not improve.  They need to hire a new GM and maybe they could get Kubiac and other coaches here.  

That will never happen until he is 6 feet under.  As long as he is alive and somewhat coherent, he will have a say in what happens.  I read an old article about how hurt he was that his dad was removed from the team that bears his name,  and that he vowed that would never happen again.   
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 07:51 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Give us your most logical idea on just how things got as bad as they are now. Every position group is just pathetic, absolutely pathetic this year. Worse than last year. I’m sure most of the problems were building the past 4 years missing on draft picks while letting good players walk. But there has to be even more to it than that. Personally I think we have some good players, take the D for instance. The D line has everyone healthy yet they can’t do anything. So what gives. Is coaching, schemes, play calling a result?

The Bengals won enough from 2011-2015 to delude Mike Brown into thinking his way actually worked, 25 years of evidence to the contrary. We’ve been stuck in a downward spiral ever since. The team is owned and run by nitwits, and this is the result of their management.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Two words - Mike Brown
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 08:17 PM)No-huddle Joe Wrote: That will never happen until he is 6 feet under.  As long as he is alive and somewhat coherent, he will have a say in what happens.  I read an old article about how hurt he was that his dad was removed from the team that bears his name,  and that he vowed that would never happen again.   

I cannot remember the Bengals ever going 0-16, at least not in my lifetime.  At least since 1968.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/index.htm 

I hold out hope that something will happen at the end of this year.  A drastic change must take place.  

They need to infuse the draft war room with about 20 additional scouts and hire a young and upcoming GM.  Front Office will not get a pass after this year.  They must feel the heat.  The stadium is empty, and the lease will be up in 2026.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
2014 and 2015 drafts were just horrendous. These players from those years would have been in the prime of their careers. Instead out of 17 picks....we have but Dennard and Uzomah to show for it. We whiffed bad either picking or developing. It's no wonder we have holes everywhere.
Reply/Quote
It starts with the owner. That will always be the principle problem.

If I had to choose a specific time or event I look at the 2015 draft. I get the draft is a crapshoot, but that draft ended up being an enormous pile of crap.
Reply/Quote