Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
How to Fix the Cincinnati Bengals in Five Steps

What would be your '5 steps' to fix the Bengals?
Reply/Quote
While not realistic, here are the only 5 steps that could really help the team.

1. Get rid of Mike Brown
2. Get rid of the rest of the Brown family and Brown family apologists
3. Get rid of Marvin Lewis
4. Get rid of Paul Alexander
5. Bring in someone who understands the 21st century NFL
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 05:41 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:

What would be your '5 steps' to fix the Bengals?

He left out Step 1.  No other steps matter until Step 1 happens.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 05:49 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: While not realistic, here are the only 5 steps that could really help the team.

1. Get rid of Mike Brown
2. Get rid of the rest of the Brown family and Brown family apologists
3. Get rid of Marvin Lewis
4. Get rid of Paul Alexander
5. Bring in someone who understands the 21st century NFL

True, but as you said not realistic. I will try realistic where it could happen...

1- Bring back Whitworth and at the same time draft a raw, talented LT in the 3rd to mid rounds.
2- Draft BPA in the first round, Hassan Reddick fits what Lombardi says here to a T.
3- Replace Bodine with a decent Center whether it is Wisnewski or Mangold, Draft one as well like Elflein, Toth, Orlovski etc. who can play G.
4- Add a RB to compete like McCafferey, Kamara or Foreman.
5- Add another pure DE to keep this rotation strong. Sheard, Devin Taylor, BPA etc.

With Whit, Wisnewski, Toth, Moton the O-line is much better and insured.
With Burkhead, Kamara the run game is better behind this O-line.
With Sheard and Reddick our pass rush is muchly improved and we added that athletic LB.
With Billings the DT spot should be better.
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton doesn't put the ball in the endzone? Umm... what? When his targets are healthy, he is very good in the redzone. Gresham was good for like 5 redzone TDs a year, Eifert catches almost all of his TDs in the redzone. AJ Green gets a good amount of redzone TDs.

But sure, if AJ is hurt, and Eifert is hurt, and his targets are CJ Uzomah and Tyler Boyd, sure, he might struggle a bit in the redzone.

- - - - - - - - - - -

My 5 step fix...

1. Clear out ownership.
2. Clear out front office.
3. Clear out coaching staff.
4. Enjoy a beer after your hard work clearing out the trash.
5. Enjoy a Super Bowl win.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 06:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Andy Dalton doesn't put the ball in the endzone? Umm... what? When his targets are healthy, he is very good in the redzone. Gresham was good for like 5 redzone TDs a year, Eifert catches almost all of his TDs in the redzone. AJ Green gets a good amount of redzone TDs.

But sure, if AJ is hurt, and Eifert is hurt, and his targets are CJ Uzomah and Tyler Boyd, sure, he might struggle a bit in the redzone.

- - - - - - - - - - -

My 5 step fix...

1. Clear out ownership.

Mike is the smiling kidnapper in the Brooks Brothers suit, very dignified in his demeanor as he holds our title dreams hostage lo, these many years.  The most significant achievement he ever had was being born.

Our only hope is to outlive him and how much hope is really there?  How far did the Katie apple really fall from the Mike tree?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
First step- Resign Andrew Whitworth
Second step- draft sign interior pass rusher
Third step-sign or draft starting caliber Center
Fourth step- draft/sign edge rusher
5th step- sign fa Wr
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Boy howdy he got that all wrong

1. Change head coach and subsequent coaches that would follow
2. Invest heavy in DL
3. Put moderate investment in OL
4. Get good enough WR opposite AJ
5. If available, get better QB
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 06:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Andy Dalton doesn't put the ball in the endzone? Umm... what? When his targets are healthy, he is very good in the redzone. Gresham was good for like 5 redzone TDs a year, Eifert catches almost all of his TDs in the redzone. AJ Green gets a good amount of redzone TDs.

- - - - - - - - - - -

My 5 step fix...

1. Clear out ownership.

That was kind of a ***** thing to say about Dalton.

Except last year under Zampese with his weapons hurt Dalton has been a very good Red Zone QB.

(03-07-2017, 06:21 PM)McC Wrote: Mike is the smiling kidnapper in the Brooks Brothers suit, very dignified in his demeanor as he holds our title dreams hostage lo, these many years.  The most significant achievement he ever had was being born.

Our only hope is to outlive him and how much hope is really there?  How far did the Katie apple really fall from the Mike tree?

Hopefully that apple falls to another planet.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 06:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, but as you said not realistic. I will try realistic where it could happen...

1- Bring back Whitworth and at the same time draft a raw, talented LT in the 3rd to mid rounds.
2- Draft BPA in the first round, Hassan Reddick fits what Lombardi says here to a T.
3- Replace Bodine with a decent Center whether it is Wisnewski or Mangold, Draft one as well like Elflein, Toth, Orlovski etc. who can play G.
4- Add a RB to compete like McCafferey, Kamara or Foreman.
5- Add another pure DE to keep this rotation strong. Sheard, Devin Taylor, BPA etc.

With Whit, Wisnewski, Toth, Moton the O-line is much better and insured.
With Burkhead, Kamara the run game is better behind this O-line.
With Sheard and Reddick our pass rush is muchly improved and we added that athletic LB.
With Billings the DT spot should be better.

I can live with all this but I'm not sold on Reddick. I know he had a great combine but just going by film he was projected to be late 3rd 4th RD.
Reply/Quote
1. Free up as much money as possible by cutting Mauluaga and Pacman along with any other under performing players or players that have had a million chances off field to clean their act up and still can't take advantage of it.

2. Re-sign the best few free agents from our own team in Whitworth, Zeitler, and Kirkpatrick.

3. Actually look for upgrades with that extra cap space that is left each year instead of saying it is rollover (heard that for 3 years straight and guys keep walking instead). Go add a Nick Fairley to replace Peko in the event Billings isn't ready or gets injured again and bring in a Nick Mangold to compete with Bodine at Center. These moves wouldn't break the bank but would hit a couple key needs with players that would be improvements and open up the draft even more.

4. Move Marvin to the Front Office. He is a solid talent evaluator but not a great coach. I think turning things over to Tobin and Marvin instead of the Browns having any football say would make a world of difference of free agent and draft strategy. The Brown's always worry about money at the end of the day. Football is their business and not their passion. They run it as such and pinch pennies compared to other teams every chance they get.

5. Get away from the draft best available idea regardless how they may not see the field for two or three seasons and actually start drafting players that are best available at positions of need and guys that can get on the field early and make an impact. At some point you have to stop neglecting the Defensive End and Linebacker positions that have needed talent upgrades early in the draft because you fall in love with first round Corners year after year.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
Drafting BPA is a good concept...but:

1 ) Sometimes you get guys that don't fit your scheme and the Bengals aren't great at adapting to fit guys strengths.
2 ) Determining BPA, especially in Rounds after 1 isn't an exact science. The players are so closely muddled together.
Reply/Quote
1. Hire John Elway as GM

2. Let Elway hire a new coach who has authority to hire his own staff- just like every other NFL and college team that is worth a dam.

3. Cut or do not re-sign ( Peko) all deadweight and free up money

4. Re-sign our top 3 FAs

5. Sign or draft a Edge rusher and a new center.
Reply/Quote
Cut bait on Peko and Pacman...you have 11.2 million in cap space....I mean, come on!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 10:39 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Drafting BPA is a good concept...but:

1 ) Sometimes you get guys that don't fit your scheme and the Bengals aren't great at adapting to fit guys strengths.
2 ) Determining BPA, especially in Rounds after 1 isn't an exact science. The players are so closely muddled together.

Not a draft choice, but.....*cough* James Harrison *cough*

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 01:01 AM)TKUHL Wrote: I can live with all this but I'm not sold on Reddick. I know he had a great combine but just going by film he was projected to be late 3rd 4th RD.

Hmmm, from all the film i watched he was one of the best athletic pass rushers in college last year.

He can play End and LB, he can rush the passer and cover. Very versatile and a better pass rusher than Solomon Thomas who i also like.

Solomon is just a more physical player, i am for Barnett first but who knows if he is there. I think Taco would be a reach at 9.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 03:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hmmm, from all the film i watched he was one of the best athletic pass rushers in college last year.

He can play End and LB, he can rush the passer and cover. Very versatile and a better pass rusher than Solomon Thomas who i also like.

Solomon is just a more physical player, i am for Barnett first but who knows if he is there. I think Taco would be a reach at 9.

I can't remember the last time the Bengals consistently rushed the passer from the LB position.
It needs to be pressure from the front four. That's their (stubborn?) philosophy.

So the Bengals need a better edge rusher than MJ and a better interior rusher than Peko, Gilberry, Thompson, Hunt, or whoever.

If you want the Bengals to REALLY improve their pass rush and do it "their way", look for a base DE that can rush inside on passing downs + a true edge rusher at DE early in the draft.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Definitive proof any idiot can be a GM.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 06:23 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Definitive proof any idiot can be a GM.

Yeah, but he once worked with Belichick so everyone should hang on his every word.  Isn't that's how it's suppose to go?
Reply/Quote
Well, the price of the team value went from about the cost of a pretty nice house in the suburbs to a multi billion dollar enterprise and is extremely profitable so what's to fix? Sports is one of the few businesses that can make multiple billions of dollars without having to have a quality product line.  I'm not even sure that the companies that sell crap at Family Dollar can match the business model that is the NFL.  Family Dollar has thousands and thousands of brick and mortar buildings and a very well established distribution chain requiring thousands of employees to stay in business. 
The Bengals have basically one building and far fewer employees and don't really have to stock a whole lot of shelves. 
Purely from a business viewpoint you can't really find too many better ways to make money without trying other than winning the lottery every few years. 
Too bad that we can't start our own football league and be able snatch up the services of college  dropouts to sell tickets for us.  The NFL pretty much has this one locked up. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote