Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Really Fix This Team
I think we just need to beef-up the offensive line and maybe bring someone in in the draft or FA to keep Geno fresh and give him some breaks because I don't agree that he's on the downside of his career but it won't hurt to be able to give him breathers.

The offensive line is a joke. We need to draft and sign free agents for the offensive line and I think we instantly can be successful. Give Burrow time and he has shown me that he can command the team and make all the throws. He's the leader we need.

I think Mixon can destroy defenses with a decent line and a decent passing game to keep defenses out of the box.

Taylor needs to stop calling plays or just stop being so cute with it. I realize that shotgun gives Burrow a bit of an advantage because he doesn't need to waste time dropping back, but he needs to be under center more so Burrow can give the ball to Mixon running downhill.

Look for free agent linemen or just call it a season and beef-up the offensive line in the offseason. Don't ignore it. Burrow has shown that he can lead the team and make decent receivers look good, and plus we have Mixon, so give him the line and time to do it.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 02:57 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Due to draft position only...

The guy has shown in the first two games that he is who we think he is and he should be benched.

Green, Tyler, Higgings, Thomas and Tate should be the targets. Ross has no business on the field unless they want to try his speed for a punt returner.

This, all of this....

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 03:13 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: as of before last season. we had more starters from the draft than any other team in the NFL

Im well aware of that piece of factual knowledge. Heres the problem. Very few of those starters are in the
Top 20 to 40% at their position. How much elite talent was there among those starters?
Maybe perhaps since Tobin has been tbe clown GM the Bengals had the most drafted starters 
They barely brought in true difference makers via free agency.
What is Tobins WL record as a GM?
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 02:40 PM)Big Boss Wrote: A trip down memory lane, for those of you who have forgotten:

“For those who say you shouldn’t have signed Bobby Hart, who is going to play right tackle? Who? Oh, maybe you’ll draft one in the third round and he’ll come on. Really? You’re going to bet your season on that? We may still draft somebody. We haven’t had the draft yet. But you just can’t criticize. In our business you have to solve the problem. If you’re not going to play him, tell me who? Trent Brown at $17 million? Really? A seventh-round draft pick? Let go essentially by his team. Really? We can’t go to WalMart and buy off the shelf. A high quality starting right tackle? That doesn’t exist (in free agency). You have to deal in the universe of options you have. We ended up signing eight guys. That’s probably above average. Were they perfect? You’re not going to get perfect. …” - Troy Blackburn, March 2019

Trent Brown has had a better season the past 3 years each than Bobby Hart has ever had in his career.
Maybe Troy needs to realize the draft pick doesn't matter once they enter the league.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 03:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Trent Brown has had a better season the past 3 years each than Bobby Hart has ever had in his career.
Maybe Troy needs to realize the draft pick doesn't matter once they enter the league.

What's funny is that Bobby Hart was drafted in the same round (7th).

He managed to try to slide a dig in there about his draft position, as if that somehow matters years out, while defendng a guy he just inked for 7 mil per, who was drafted in the same spot.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 04:03 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: What's funny is that Bobby Hart was drafted in the same round (7th).

He managed to try to slide a dig in there about his draft position, as if that somehow matters years out, while defendng a guy he just inked for 7 mil per, who was drafted in the same spot.

"But Bobby was less than half the cost!" - Troy Blackburn, probably
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 03:33 PM)impactplaya Wrote: What is Tobins WL record as a GM?

Hard to say.

Marvin did not acknowledge that Tobin ran the draft until 2013, but we really don't know who really had all the power regarding free agents and trades.

Since 2013 Bengals are 17th in winning percentage.  Dead middle of the league.
Reply/Quote
Listening to Doug Gotleib he brought an NFL analyst on talking about Burrow and the Bengals. He said ypa with Burrow will always be a problem due to his lack of arm strength. He will continue to struggle with deep ball due to windows being smaller in NFL as opposed to college. The analyst said we basically have a smarter more athletic Andy Dalton. So in the analyst opinion Burrow will never be a good deep ball passer him being a rookie has nothing to do with it
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 04:58 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Listening to Doug Gotleib he brought an NFL analyst on talking about Burrow and the Bengals. He said ypa with Burrow will always be a problem due to his lack of arm strength. He will continue to struggle with deep ball due to windows being smaller in NFL as opposed to college. The analyst said we basically have a smarter more athletic Andy Dalton. So in the analyst opinion Burrow will never be a good deep ball passer him being a rookie has nothing to do with it

You’re really working overtime on this.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 02:40 PM)Big Boss Wrote: A trip down memory lane, for those of you who have forgotten:

“For those who say you shouldn’t have signed Bobby Hart, who is going to play right tackle? Who? Oh, maybe you’ll draft one in the third round and he’ll come on. Really? You’re going to bet your season on that? We may still draft somebody. We haven’t had the draft yet. But you just can’t criticize. In our business you have to solve the problem. If you’re not going to play him, tell me who? Trent Brown at $17 million? Really? A seventh-round draft pick? Let go essentially by his team. Really? We can’t go to WalMart and buy off the shelf. A high quality starting right tackle? That doesn’t exist (in free agency). You have to deal in the universe of options you have. We ended up signing eight guys. That’s probably above average. Were they perfect? You’re not going to get perfect. …” - Troy Blackburn, March 2019

Yeah, that was one of the most idiotic things I’ve heard. I would take a Third round G/T over the trash we’ve seen so far.
Reply/Quote
And then there was Blackburn’s disrespectful comments about Whit. He’s a grade A dbag.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 04:58 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Listening to Doug Gotleib he brought an NFL analyst on talking about Burrow and the Bengals. He said ypa with Burrow will always be a problem due to his lack of arm strength. He will continue to struggle with deep ball due to windows being smaller in NFL as opposed to college. The analyst said we basically have a smarter more athletic Andy Dalton. So in the analyst opinion Burrow will never be a good deep ball passer him being a rookie has nothing to do with it

Doug Gotlieb is a credit card thief.  And apparently his "NFL analyst" is a moron.

Peyton Manning had one of the weaker arms in the league the 2nd half of his career, and he did just fine with the deep ball. 

Brees, Brady, Montana, Matt Hasselbeck, Alex Smith... that's just off the top of my head.  All guys with average arm strength at best.

You know who had an absolute cannon?  Jarmarcus Russell.  Jeff George, etc.

Accuracy and touch trump arm strength, as long as your arm strength is at least adequate.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 07:52 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Doug Gotlieb is a credit card thief.  And apparently his "NFL analyst" is a moron.

Peyton Manning had one of the weaker arms in the league the 2nd half of his career, and he did just fine with the deep ball. 

Brees, Brady, Montana, Matt Hasselbeck, Alex Smith... that's just off the top of my head.  All guys with average arm strength at best.

Accuracy and touch trump arm strength, as long as your arm strength is at least adequate.

The guy who couldn’t beat out Ryan Finley for QB2?

Also, Jay Cutler. Yet he’s more famous for a smoking meme and being married to a reality tv star than being a good QB.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 06:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And then there was Blackburn’s disrespectful comments about Whit. He’s a grade A dbag.

I'd pay good money to see Andrew Whitworth shove that nerd Troy Blackburn into a locker.  
Reply/Quote

We get it.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 03:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Just because you start guys like John Ross and Nick Vigil doesn’t mean they’re any good.

That tired old line Hobspin uses, haha. Ok we have all theses drafted "starters", sweet.

Never mind the fact half of them would be backups, PS, or released on the dozen good teams.

Yes champion that.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 08:01 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'd pay good money to see Andrew Whitworth shove that nerd Troy Blackburn into a locker.  

You and me both.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 07:52 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Doug Gotlieb is a credit card thief.  And apparently his "NFL analyst" is a moron.

Peyton and Brady are the exception not the rule. Manning last SB was benched for Osweiller. Coming out Manning had a cannon. as he got older arm got weaker. What happens with Burrow if his arm gets weaker? It will be weaker than manning's was you need arm strength to be a franchise QB. The 1 stat where arm strength is relevant is YPA. Burrows is awful and it wont get better
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 09:12 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Peyton and Brady are the exception not the rule. Manning last SB was benched for Osweiller. Coming out Manning had a cannon. as he got older arm got weaker. What happens with Burrow if his arm gets weaker? It will be weaker than manning's was you need arm strength to be a franchise QB. The 1 stat where arm strength is relevant is YPA. Burrows is awful and it wont get better

Wrong again. Peyton’s scouting report;

Peyton Manning: Manning is probably the most prepared QB to enter the NFL draft in several years.. He has had a storybook college career, and has been in a top level program with excellent coaching, and he has maturity and great intangibles to go along with his natural skills.. He should be able to pick up the mental aspects of the game early on the NFL level, and should play very quickly. He has great overall field vision. He is a fierce competitor, and all of his mechanics are very solid. He has good arm strength, but not necessarily a “gun” that you might expect from a QB at the top of the draft.. He has adequate mobility and good overall AA, although he is not a scrambler by nature. He has done an excellent job of getting the most out of his abilities, but he is not quite as natural a player as Leaf. One question that some NFL scouts have is the question “will he get any better?”. At times he gives the appearance of being a self-made player, and sometimes those types of players don’t always go on to great NFL careers. In Manning’s case, he may be a solid and productive NFL QB, but he may not have Hall of Fame type skills, but it certainly won’t be for lack of effort.. He has probably been the most scouted player in the draft in recent years, and because that NFL teams tend to look too much at potential flaws, instead of accepting him for what he is, a great college QB that is on his way to an outstanding NFL career.

Reply/Quote