Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Win Without a Run Game
The Cincinnati Bengals haven’t had a consistent running game since Corey Dillon threw his shoulder pads into the stands. Oh, sure, Cedric Benson and Benjarvus Green-Ellis had some good games here and there but now there’s Jeremy Hill, Giovani Bernard, and Joe Mixon...

...with an offensive line that leaks like an unchanged diaper. Is there a way to hide a bad run game? No, of course not. Is there a way to work around a bad run game? Yes, well, um, maybe.

Basically, to win with a nonexistent run game a team has to pretend to run but turn run plays into play action passes or bubble screens. The Bengals have been good at this in 2017 under Bill Lazor. Joe Mixon and Gio Bernard are outstanding at catching the ball out of the backfield as well so using them in non-traditional roles help as well.

Obviously the passing game needs to be in amazing shape and this means Andy Dalton has to look to more than AJ Green. It’s hard to do as Andy and AJ have such great chemistry but it’s time to get the other wide receivers involved — and tight end Tyler Kroft needs to understand he’s going to be starting for the rest of the season and probably beyond.

It’s hard to work around a bad offensive line but the Bengals have no choice.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yeah...use some WC offense tactics.

The Steelers have a lot of speed at LB so this will be a big test.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 09:08 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Cincinnati Bengals haven’t had a consistent running game since Corey Dillon threw his shoulder pads into the stands.  Oh, sure, Cedric Benson and Benjarvus Green-Ellis had some good games here and there but now there’s Jeremy Hill, Giovani Bernard, and Joe Mixon...

...with an offensive line that leaks like an unchanged diaper.  Is there a way to hide a bad run game?  No, of course not.  Is there a way to work around a bad run game?  Yes, well, um, maybe.

Basically, to win with a nonexistent run game a team has to pretend to run but turn run plays into play action passes or bubble screens.  The Bengals have been good at this in 2017 under Bill Lazor.  Joe Mixon and Gio Bernard are outstanding at catching the ball out of the backfield as well so using them in non-traditional roles help as well.

Obviously the passing game needs to be in amazing shape and this means Andy Dalton has to look to more than AJ Green.  It’s hard to do I as Andy and AJ have such great chemistry but it’s time to get the other wide receivers involved — and tight end Tyler Kroft needs to understand he’s going to be starting for the rest of the season and probably beyond.

There is a way to work around it, but Aaron Rodgers is already spoken for and also injured.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I'm interested in seeing what Lazor has in store for the stoolers. I'm sure he has prepared and watched tons of game film. Grab the popcorn!

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 09:49 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I'm interested in seeing what Lazor has in store for the stoolers. I'm sure he has prepared and watched tons of game film. Grab the popcorn!

Yup, excited as well.

Reply/Quote
it "makes me quite angry" when it's 3rd & 2 yrds to go & we cant just run straight ahead....but have to pass or run something to the outside....
   if it works fine.....but when it doesn't I just wish the could just pound it up the middle....but w/ Bodine & co .....sometimes it's for no gain.....4th & 2  & a punt....then our "D" is back out on the field....

oh well....we shall see ...
we have to move the chains....period......if our offense sucks we will lose....i'm positive of that....

i'm sticking w/
Bengals 24
shitheads 21
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 09:49 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I'm interested in seeing what Lazor has in store for the stoolers. I'm sure he has prepared and watched tons of game film. Grab the popcorn!

Yep.  There might been something to that guy.  If he'd have gotten the job instead of whats his name, we would have been in the playoffs last year.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote

I prefer nachos but otherwise, Hell yeah!

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 09:08 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Cincinnati Bengals haven’t had a consistent running game since Corey Dillon threw his shoulder pads into the stands.  Oh, sure, Cedric Benson and Benjarvus Green-Ellis had some good games here and there but now there’s Jeremy Hill, Giovani Bernard, and Joe Mixon...

...with an offensive line that leaks like an unchanged diaper.  Is there a way to hide a bad run game?  No, of course not.  Is there a way to work around a bad run game?  Yes, well, um, maybe.

Basically, to win with a nonexistent run game a team has to pretend to run but turn run plays into play action passes or bubble screens.  The Bengals have been good at this in 2017 under Bill Lazor.  Joe Mixon and Gio Bernard are outstanding at catching the ball out of the backfield as well so using them in non-traditional roles help as well.

Obviously the passing game needs to be in amazing shape and this means Andy Dalton has to look to more than AJ Green.  It’s hard to do I as Andy and AJ have such great chemistry but it’s time to get the other wide receivers involved — and tight end Tyler Kroft needs to understand he’s going to be starting for the rest of the season and probably beyond.

If you run those "extended" hand offs enough times, with any bit of success, then the surprise run up the middle becomes quite effective.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 10:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If you run those "extended" hand offs enough times, with any bit of success, then the surprise run up the middle becomes quite effective.

Shhhhh.....

Don’t tell the Steelers!
Reply/Quote
Can Gio get some more plays at WR if Mixon is in? It might look like a run or dump then but at least they're going to have to cover 2 players that given enough space in close quarters are going to cause damage.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Don't worry. Mitchell will get a free pass to headhunt both Mixon and Gio and receive what amounts to unpaid parking tickets for his efforts. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 09:05 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Can Gio get some more plays at WR if Mixon is in? It might look like a run or dump then but at least they're going to have to cover 2 players that given enough space in close quarters are going to cause damage.

Would like to see this occasionally.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 11:37 AM)grampahol Wrote: Don't worry. Mitchell will get a free pass to headhunt both Mixon and Gio and receive what amounts to unpaid parking tickets for his efforts. 

Yeah someone just did that calculation for Kyrie Irving's 25K fine for profanity. It amounted to about $150 for a person on our salary (speeding ticket).
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Well considering that Dalton has an 82.2 rating while throwing at AJ and a 90.0 rating throwing to everyone else, I definitely hope to see others step up and get open more consistently. If no one is open, I'm throwing it to the guy (Green) that can win contested passes more often.

Fwiw, Tyler Kroft is probably going to be our #2 option in the pass game going forward. He's outproduced every one else (other than Green obviously) since he took over for Eifert. Dalton has a 140.9 rating on throws to Kroft this year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 09:05 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Can Gio get some more plays at WR if Mixon is in? It might look like a run or dump then but at least they're going to have to cover 2 players that given enough space in close quarters are going to cause damage.

I would switch this arrangement around. Joe Mixon ran lots of routes from the wide receiver position at Oklahoma. The film is most impressive.
Reply/Quote