Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How to beat the Chiefs.
We need new and exciting ideas.

I say we should use the fake punt. Lots of teams have gotten big plays from fake punts, and in fact the Bengals used to have a good bit of success with the fake punt.

But here is the new wrinkle we throw in to really confuse them. . . . We run it on first down.

[Image: mind-blown.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I usually go with "score more points" for how to beat someone.... Big Grin
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Cedric Peerman had a couple of long runs on fake punts. I think Cris Crocker had one also.

I remember one time Marvin ran a fake punt with no punter. Straight punt formation with no punter (and an extra blocker somewhere)
Reply/Quote
More of an adjustment to avoid the sacks:

I think they need to get Boyd more involved—especially as a quick outlet to avoid pressure (like a welker or amendola). Run Boyd on more slant/shallow cross routes. They should throw more quick hitters when the corner is backed off the receiver as well.

I get that they want to attack the defense—and they are good at deep/intermediate routes. But they should always have a quick outlet or two. Let’s be real, the offensive line gets beat often. Be more prepared for it.
Reply/Quote
Really long sustained drives that end in a TD.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 01:41 AM)Interceptor Wrote: Really long sustained drives that end in a TD.

^^ this . keep mahomes on the bench as much as possible.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 12:22 AM)fredtoast Wrote: We need new and exciting ideas.

I say we should use the fake punt. Lots of teams have gotten big plays from fake punts, and in fact the Bengals used to have a good bit of success with the fake punt.

But here is the new wrinkle we throw in to really confuse them. . . . We run it on first down.

Burrow could punt on second down following the run.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

I say we should use the fake punt.  Lots of teams have gotten big plays from fake punts, and in fact the Bengals used to have a good bit of success with the fake punt.

But here is the new wrinkle we throw in to really confuse them.  .  .  .  We run it on first down.

I think just going for it more on fourth down will be necessary, as long as it isn't fourth and long.  The Bills got conservative on one fourth and short late and it cost them.  This game is all about possessions, and if the Bengals can get one or two more possessions, they have a very good shot.

As far as plays, I think Boyd is a very capable thrower of the ball.  I would like to see an end-around where Boyd airs it out to Chase (if they bite...if not, eat it and run the ball).  

Remember, Burrow had 440 yards passing and 4 TDs against this team.  The owness will likely be on the defense getting creative, and if they can come out with what frustrated them the second half and be successful with it, that would be huge.

Lastly, can't drop two sure INTs this game.  Catch those balls like they did against the Titans and that would go a long way to sending the Bengals to the big game.  
Reply/Quote

I say we should use the fake punt.  Lots of teams have gotten big plays from fake punts, and in fact the Bengals used to have a good bit of success with the fake punt.

But here is the new wrinkle we throw in to really confuse them.  .  .  .  We run it on first down.

yeah this has been on my mind too  (fake punt , not the wrinkle!)

Good coaches tale the opportunity when you play 2nd time around to throw different looks , innovation in ...sure Andy Reid is gonna throw some gadgets at us.

I'd love to see something like a designed lateral from Boyd to Chase and let his YAC skills take over.

Also show run formation and try a flea flicker over the top to Higgins 
Reply/Quote
I think myself and a few others are a fan of an unbalanced line (running behind 6 offensive linemen). That said, I think we tried that recently and got a false start. More rotation of the backs is welcome. I'm not sure that Mixon is 100% and Perine and Evans both seem to contribute interesting wrinkles. If you can establish the running game it opens up play-action of course.

Defensively how about some stunts from our dline, like Mike Zimmer used to do?

Reply/Quote
How about stealing a page from the chefs, and let Chase return a couple?
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 11:14 AM)SladeX Wrote: How about stealing a page from the chefs, and let Chase return a couple?

I thought the same thing when I watched Deebo Samuel returning for the 49'ers. I'd say pass on punt returns as I feel like there is a greater chance of taking an unseen hit leading to injury, but maybe give him a look at returning kicks?
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 11:18 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I thought the same thing when I watched Deebo Samuel returning for the 49'ers. I'd say pass on punt returns as I feel like there is a greater chance of taking an unseen hit leading to injury, but maybe give him a look at returning kicks?

Always in favour of giving our playmakers more touches. I don't think there is that much of a greater risk for injury on returns, it'd be interesting to see the analytics on that. 
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 11:24 AM)AlphaBengal Wrote: Always in favour of giving our playmakers more touches. I don't think there is that much of a greater risk for injury on returns, it'd be interesting to see the analytics on that. 

It would be, not sure where we can find that online. Chase just has that ability to take it to the next level for speed after a couple breakaways so he'd be fun to watch in the return game.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 10:55 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: I think myself and a few others are a fan of an unbalanced line (running behind 6 offensive linemen). That said, I think we tried that recently and got a false start. More rotation of the backs is welcome. I'm not sure that Mixon is 100% and Perine and Evans both seem to contribute interesting wrinkles. If you can establish the running game it opens up play-action of course.

Defensively how about some stunts from our dline, like Mike Zimmer used to do?

we do/did, lined hubbard up at a stand up linebacker position then slanting hard and curling around the slanting tackle as an example. (raiders game). I am not to analyzing the d line yet from the tape to give examples from the titans game but i am sure they are there.

I think the unbalanced line is not fooling anyone anymore. it just means we are lining up and extra guy who cant stay on a block. our problem in the running game right now is that our center cant run block, our right guard cant do either and our tackles are not great at reach blocks for outside runs. translation, we can run to the outside some but not enough to be effective and we cant run up the middle at all unless we run off left guard. Thats why we are able to get about 50-80 yards rushing per game and have a ton of negative run plays.

Just my 2 cents though
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 11:18 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I thought the same thing when I watched Deebo Samuel returning for the 49'ers. I'd say pass on punt returns as I feel like there is a greater chance of taking an unseen hit leading to injury, but maybe give him a look at returning kicks?

I would say the opposite. If he’s smart and only returns the punt when there is a little room, he will be less likely to get hurt as opposed to running full speed into a kickoff team. I think his ability to make people miss on a punt return could give us a great shot.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 11:43 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I would say the opposite. If he’s smart and only returns the punt when there is a little room, he will be less likely to get hurt as opposed to running full speed into a kickoff team. I think his ability to make people miss on a punt return could give us a great shot.

Fair take, I don't know enough about it to have an informed opinion. I just had a flash of thought about Chase looking up to catch a punt, him failing to wave for a fair catch, and then BOOM he gets lit up and has to leave the game with an injury. I guess running the ball on a kick off at full speed while 11 dudes are coming at you is equally prone for a big injury (I guess 10, who fears the kicker?).
Reply/Quote
I think the last fakes we ran were when Clayton Fejedelem was on the team. I don't recall any over the last couple of years.

It seemed like when they did run it on first down everyone was screaming that they should throw it. Seems like half the fan base will complain at whatever they choose to do. I really don't care what they do as long as it ends in positive yards

Zac doesn't seem to be big on gadget plays but I still have fond memories of that years ago game-opening pass for a TD by Mo Sanu against Washington (?)

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 11:46 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Fair take, I don't know enough about it to have an informed opinion. I just had a flash of thought about Chase looking up to catch a punt, him failing to wave for a fair catch, and then BOOM he gets lit up and has to leave the game with an injury. I guess running the ball on a kick off at full speed while 11 dudes are coming at you is equally prone for a big injury (I guess 10, who fears the kicker?).

Yeah, he would have to be smart on punt return and only take it if he knew he had room, but besides that initial hit, I think there is less chance of injury than a KR. Either way, I’d do it sparingly and at the end of the game if we needed it.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 11:49 AM)pally Wrote: I think the last fakes we ran were when Clayton Fejedelem was on the team. I don't recall any over the last couple of years.

It seemed like when they did run it on first down everyone was screaming that they should throw it. Seems like half the fan base will complain at whatever they choose to do. I really don't care what they do as long as it ends in positive yards

Zac doesn't seem to be big on gadget plays but I still have fond memories of that years ago game-opening pass for a TD by Mo Sanu against Washington (?)

They ran a sweep to Boyd throw to Mixon late in the year. I’m not sure which game though.
Reply/Quote