Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to cope with Trump Era Depression
I'm sure will be met by the hue and cry of "go find your safe place" and "snowflakes" by some, but it is a pretty good representation of what Trump is and how best to deal with him constantly being in the center of the room with his minions screaming around him.

https://kirschnerskorner.com/2020/02/02/trump-anxiety-disorder/?fbclid=IwAR0dHum4EZ3jpV0J9-xXw7PAAYqZKFsbLlnW2NQfO4ZQM7UBzCHRJxwil7w

Quote:If you care about animals, people, and the planet, you’ve likely battled feelings of depression during the Trump presidency. His cruelty, immaturity, lying, law-breaking, and harmful policies invade our daily routines and shock us every day. Every headline makes our heart race, and we feel sick that he remains in office.

We wonder what happened to our fellow Americans that they would elevate such a bad person to a position of power. We thought we shared a common set of values with Republicans and could at least agree that Trump’s sociopathic behavior, sordid past, and lack of experience would disqualify him from office. We wonder how Republicans continue to support someone who is so antithetical to all that is good in our country. We worry they don’t realize they’re being hoodwinked and we worry about the future.

The psychological impact of Trump’s presidency is real and lasting. Many of his actions are unprecedented in modern presidential history. And Trump’s gaslighting is enough to cause anyone to feel like we’re losing control of our democracy. Psychologists have referred to the feelings that result from this presidency as “Trump Anxiety Disorder.” It can lead to increased blood pressure, depression, and chronic health problems. For that reason, it’s important to keep perspective and take care. If you’re tired of feeling sick over Trump’s actions, these friendly reminders may lift your spirits, empower you, give you hope, and effect change.

Trump doesn’t represent the American people. Trump got 62,984,828 votes. About 174 million Americans either voted against him or didn’t vote for him, which is about 73% of the eligible-to-vote American population. Trump’s term ends in a few months. We have an opportunity to replace him with someone who leads with compassion, believes in science, sets an example, and tells the truth. In some countries, dictators stay in power for decades.

So much good happens every day despite Trump’s cruelty and misconduct. Plant-based food companies are breaking new ground, millions of volunteers are impacting lives, and companies are taking steps to save the planet despite Trump’s reckless policies. The world is filled with cruelty and greed, but it’s also filled with kindness, giving, and progress.

We’ve been through worse times and persevered. About 150 years ago, Americans fought each other in a war and killed 2% of the American population. That’s the equivalent of more than 6 million people in today’s population.

Trump serves as a valuable non-example for the world. We can learn from him to avoid even worse mistakes in the future. We learn some of our best lessons from non-examples.

Empower yourself. There’s so much we can do to offset the damage of Trump’s presidency. Volunteer for a campaign or a nonprofit, find a job that allows you to advance your interests full-time, register people to vote, or donate to a charity. Every act of kindness makes a difference. It’s also an impactful exercise to call your senators in Congress at (202) 224-3121 to express your thoughts.

Manage your social media exposure. Avoid arguing with people who are unlikely to change their minds. It’s emotionally draining, and it isn’t worth it. There are much better ways to spend your days. Think critically about how you’re using your time on social media.

Surround yourself with positive people who exude resilience, hope, and problem-solving skills. Develop a circle of engaged and informed friends who focus on solutions.

Read and listen to the news from reputable sources. Don’t watch it. Reading news allows us to gather facts, draw conclusions, and take action. Although it may not be entertaining to read about environmental deregulation, it helps us to learn about policy positions so we can become better-informed advocates and voters. Stations like NPR and podcasts are also good sources of information that provide the depth we need to understand issues. Television news is often hyperpartisan and toxic to our emotions.

Promote media literacy. Avoid sharing information from disreputable sites. Russia has it covered.

Unplug. Take time for yourself–go to the gym or take a yoga restore class, take a walk, cook, or spend time with friends. It may give you the energy you need to be more productive.

Recognize that we’ll always have challenges. The issues we care about–climate change, animal welfare, human health and well-being, equality, justice, and so many others–won’t be fully resolved under any administration. But a collective effort of government, business, and individuals can put us on a better trajectory. We should work together to achieve that end.

Consider seeking professional help. Consider the support of a professionally-trained therapist. You may also consider calling the free and confidential National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, a team of professionals who counsel people feeling emotional distress.

Trump is drenched in cruelty. He’s a self-obsessed criminal without a moral compass, so you have every right to feel affected by his actions. But Trump is a mentally-ill sociopath, so trying to rationalize his behavior isn’t a good use of time. Instead, we should focus on doing all we can to offset his policies and impact on the fabric of our country and work to elect leaders who better represent our priorities. The planet needs all hands on deck. Let’s harness our energy for good. Imagine the feeling when the Trump era ends and the country finds its footing again.

And mind you I feel as if this is written for those who already have some of the anxiety/depression issues that are made worse by the thing in the WH and his behavior.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
The POV of the article is sad, but also creates and supports the depression it suggests how to cope, i.e. "I know you hate pie in the face, but let me add diesel fuel and hot sauce to this pie and see if its better.... SPLAT."

I definitely agree with limiting yourself to social media. SM (good acronym for it) is brutal because the country is so divided on the POTUS. I think, if I wanted to, I could totally rewrite this article to swing the other way. However, there's really no reason to do so. Trump may not represent all the American people, but he represents many, which is the case for all president before, and those that will follow.

Why would you be concerned about name calling? I don't recall anyone who debated topics with you or others name calling that wasn't dealt with accordingly by mods or admins. I think supporters from both sides have sustained a sense of (not sure the word I'm looking for but want to say zombi-ism (not Rob) but the definition of zombism does not work here LOL ) horse blinders and one track hypnotic minds. Programmed so-to-speak.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Snowflakes. LOL

I hope Dino is correct and this is directed at people who already have issues with anxiety/depression. I think they would have to already have had issues to get to the point the author is describing.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(02-12-2020, 11:28 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Snowflakes. LOL

I hope Dino is correct and this is directed at people who already have issues with anxiety/depression. I think they would have to already have had issues to get to the point the author is describing.

I'd imagine, given the tone, that it for that group.

But I know a few people who have gone overboard with their reaction to the conman, crook that is in the Oval Office right now.
(02-12-2020, 11:34 AM)GMDino Wrote: I'd imagine, given the tone, that it for that group.

But I know a few people who have gone overboard with their reaction to the conman, crook that is in the Oval Office right now.

Also seems to be targeting a very specific group with things like, " Plant-based food companies are breaking new ground".  i know a fair amount of Democrats and I can't imagine any of them care much one way or the other about that.  BTW...I was thinking about getting one of those incredible Whopper things because I've been losing weight and don't eat fast food much anymore and I thought well if it's close.  It has a whopping 60 fewer calories than a Whopper.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(02-12-2020, 12:15 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Also seems to be targeting a very specific group with things like, " Plant-based food companies are breaking new ground".  i know a fair amount of Democrats and I can't imagine any of them care much one way or the other about that.  BTW...I was thinking about getting one of those incredible Whopper things because I've been losing weight and don't eat fast food much anymore and I thought well if it's close.  It has a whopping 60 fewer calories than a Whopper.  

Those plant-based meat-like products aren't really health foods. They are just there as a way to try to get us less dependent on animal-based proteins. Which, whatever, but they aren't as good. Not saying I don't like any of them, but they aren't fooling anyone and they aren't health foods.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(02-12-2020, 12:47 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Those plant-based meat-like products aren't really health foods. They are just there as a way to try to get us less dependent on animal-based proteins. Which, whatever, but they aren't as good. Not saying I don't like any of them, but they aren't fooling anyone and they aren't health foods.

Yea I was surprised to see an impossible whopper is basically the same amount of calories as a whopper. Taste wise though it wasn't bad, maybe a little dry but not bad. 
(02-12-2020, 01:15 PM)Au165 Wrote: Yea I was surprised to see an impossible whopper is basically the same amount of calories as a whopper. Taste wise though it wasn't bad, maybe a little dry but not bad. 

I and *believe* that is more about cutting emissions/saving animals than nutrition and health.
(02-12-2020, 01:32 PM)GMDino Wrote: I and *believe* that is more about cutting emissions/saving animals than nutrition and health.

Yeah I'm out.  Give me something close with half the calories, and I'm in.  Of course with a Whopper a lot of calories are coming from the rest of it, so my dream is dead.  I wonder if fast food places can make plant based fries. Ninja

(02-12-2020, 01:49 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah I'm out.  Give me something close with half the calories, and I'm in.  Of course with a Whopper a lot of calories are coming from the rest of it, so my dream is dead.  I wonder if fast food places can make plant based fries.

The vegetable straws are good.  As an affirmed carnivore I still like those.

[Image: 30e6420e-375b-440b-b96c-f9ca1e62a5d8_2.d...nBg=ffffff]
(02-12-2020, 02:24 PM)GMDino Wrote: The vegetable straws are good.  As an affirmed carnivore I still like those.

[Image: 30e6420e-375b-440b-b96c-f9ca1e62a5d8_2.d...nBg=ffffff]

I've had those or something like them.  

(02-12-2020, 11:28 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Snowflakes. LOL

I don't like the situation, but I can deal with it.

Only thing that would drive me to seeking "professional help" would be Donald becoming a Steeler fan and helping them win a couple of more Super Bowls while he is in office.
I personally have anxiety/depression issues. Maybe it's just coincidental that I started taking medication for them again after a decade of no meds during this administration. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Personally, I'm more anxious about the overall situation and not Trump specifically. If the GOP wanted to, they could rein him in. This problem is way beyond just Trump. So what do I do? I fish, I go hiking with my dog, and I ***** about things on the internet. I have avoided most political social media, though.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(02-12-2020, 03:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't like the situation, but I can deal with it.

Only thing that would drive me to seeking "professional help" would be Donald becoming a Steeler fan and helping them win a couple of more Super Bowls while he is in office.

On the flip side, the Steelers could end up filing for bankruptcy shortly after he takes them over.

(02-12-2020, 03:58 PM)michaelsean Wrote: On the flip side, the Steelers could end up filing for bankruptcy shortly after he takes them over.

But!!!!

He could sign all the best Free Agents and not pay them. He wins again and now has a few rings to prove it!!

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
(02-12-2020, 01:49 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah I'm out.  Give me something close with half the calories, and I'm in.  Of course with a Whopper a lot of calories are coming from the rest of it, so my dream is dead.  I wonder if fast food places can make plant based fries. Ninja

Yeah, the impossible burger is only like 5 calories less per ounce and in exchange you get... less protein, more saturated fat, and WAY more sodium.

Also costs a good amount more.

I'll stick with beef. I don't need to read it's ingredient label because I have it memorized: beef.

(02-12-2020, 07:08 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: But!!!!

He could sign all the best Free Agents and not pay them. He wins again and now has a few rings to prove it!!

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

Sign only the best free agents, and make Mexico pay for them?   Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]