Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to fix pre season
I personally like Mike Florio's idea make it the final tie breaker before coin flip. It would spark fan interest maybe even increase attendance its rare for a pre season game to sell out even in Dallas. At the end of the day coaches wouldn't drastically change their approach. The coin flip itself only came into play once.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2022, 11:58 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I personally like Mike Florio's idea make it the final tie breaker before coin flip. It would spark fan interest maybe even increase attendance its rare for a pre season game to sell out even in Dallas. At the end of the day coaches wouldn't drastically change their approach. The coin flip itself only came into play once.

idk one of the best things of the preseason is seeing the guys that will not be on the team get a shot... If preseason games had regular season Weight they wouldnt be preseason games anymore. and teams would play the players to win.

Preseason is what it is....  practice before the season.   Unless they slash ticket prices i doubt they will increase attendance to practice games with no/limited starters...
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2022, 12:11 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: idk one of the best things of the preseason is seeing the guys that will not be on the team get a shot... If preseason games had regular season Weight they wouldnt be preseason games anymore. and teams would play the players to win.

Preseason is what it is....  practice before the season.   Unless they slash ticket prices i doubt they will increase attendance to practice games with no/limited starters...

The weight on the idea mentioned above is very low and coaches would have to balance that with the need to be sure they are getting the best 53 players +PS that they can. Also with the need to keep their starters healthy. I don’t think this idea would change much with how preseason games play out but it may make the outcomes a little more interesting for some. It’s incredibly rare to end up at that tie breaker anyway. This makes more sense than a coin flip as a tie breaker anyway.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2022, 11:58 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I personally like Mike Florio's idea make it the final tie breaker before coin flip. It would spark fan interest maybe even increase attendance its rare for a pre season game to sell out even in Dallas. At the end of the day coaches wouldn't drastically change their approach. The coin flip itself only came into play once.

No. Just ... no. Preseason games should have no weight to them. If NFL wants more people to attend preseason games, hire strippers or something.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I've always thought the best way to eliminate the OT coin toss is to give the choice to the team that got scored on last.

Why? Assume you're down by 3 and drive into the opponent's RedZone. Now you must decide to settle for the tying FG knowing your opponent will get the ball first in OT or try for a game-winning TD. Down by 7 do you go for the game-tying XP or try for 2?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2022, 12:40 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: The weight on the idea mentioned above is very low and coaches would have to balance that with the need to be sure they are getting the best 53 players +PS that they can. Also with the need to keep their starters healthy. I don’t think this idea would change much with how preseason games play out but it may make the outcomes a little more interesting for some. It’s incredibly rare to end up at that tie breaker anyway. This makes more sense than a coin flip as a tie breaker anyway.

They should have 0.0000000% weight to preseason games... if they have any then they matter.

If you lose a coin toss for being in a tiebreaker its your teams fault for being in a tie breaker
Reply/Quote
What is to be "fixed" about pre-season? It is what it is, the time when the league's teams prepare their returning players for the season, and evaluate newly added talent. Without that preseason, even more star players would be missing more time by getting injured from jumping straight into live game action. If the league wants full stadiums for the financial gain from the TV revenue, then they need to be practically giving away those preseason tickets, as most NFL fans won't pay full price for watching a glorified practice session.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I don't know about the preseason but the OT rule in general is easy to fix. 

1. Keep the regular season the same. 1st team scores a touchdown or the defense scores a touchdown or safety, game over. 
2. Postseason. Give each team 1 possession, regardless of touchdown or field goal on the first possession. If the 1st team scores a TD, the 2nd team needs to score a TD. I'd keep the defensive rule the same. If the D scores on the opening drive, game over. Also, whenever a team scores a TD in overtime, they must go for a 2pt conversion from the 5 yard line. 
3. This is the thing i'd change and i've been saying it for a couple years. The opening coin toss should determine who gets the ball first in OT. As it is now, the coin toss winner always defers to the 2nd half. If you make it that winning the opening coin toss determines who gets the ball first in OT, teams will think more about deferring. If you win the toss you have the option of taking the opening kickoff and the OT kickoff first, or if you defer, the opponent gets the opening kickoff and the OT kickoff. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Ok, so scratch that last post as i read the OP wrong. 

Don't scratch the OT idea...just where it was posted. Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I wish they would just extend the OT by one 10 minute quarter for regular season games. If you can hang onto the ball for 10 minutes and then kick a FG, great. Maybe each team scores 2 TD's and it's a shootout, but in the end it's a tie? Gives some possibilities, but doesn't prolong the game too much.

For the playoffs, I'd do a 10 minute quarter and then after that, it's sudden death with the first score wins.

I'm more for the fixed OT period like you see in basketball or baseball. Just my 2 cents.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
Yeah, "fix preseason" presumes that there's a problem with it. It's a warm up for players who need the live reps. Starters have only ever played as much as they needed to and that was always weighed against keeping them healthy for the regular season. Now with 17 regular season games that equation has shifted and starters are going to get fewer preseason snaps across the board.
Reply/Quote
The only thing that needs fixing are the ticket prices. The pre-season does what it sets out to do. Give rookies and undrafted players a chance to play in game situations and make the team.
Reply/Quote
Anyone remember when some announcer or writer got reprimanded by the NFL for calling a preseason game an "exhibition game"?

They are basically a practice session with another team.  The offense does not scheme a game plan to win.  Instead they call certain plays that they want to get on film to evaluate specific players.

I understand the need for preseason games, but 4 was way too many.  Two should be plenty.  Even when we had 4 they treated the last one as a complete throwaway game.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2022, 01:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I've always thought the best way to eliminate the OT coin toss is to give the choice to the team that got scored on last.

Why? Assume you're down by 3 and drive into the opponent's RedZone. Now you must decide to settle for the tying FG knowing your opponent will get the ball first in OT or try for a game-winning TD. Down by 7 do you go for the game-tying XP or try for 2?

Whle I find this very intriguing an dprobably wouldn't mind if the NFL went to this, ultimately, I think having each team get 1 possession and then if the score is still tied, sudden death is the way to go.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2022, 01:14 PM)PhilHos Wrote: No. Just ... no. Preseason games should have no weight to them. If NFL wants more people to attend preseason games, hire strippers or something.

I got time for that.

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2022, 12:11 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: idk one of the best things of the preseason is seeing the guys that will not be on the team get a shot... If preseason games had regular season Weight they wouldnt be preseason games anymore. and teams would play the players to win.

I would say 30,000 or more were at the preseason game.. pretty impressive
Reply/Quote