Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to gain our identity back, and then take that step forward (full offseason plan)
(01-10-2017, 09:10 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: They are not getting rid of Hill.

No way.

You guys are dreaming.

I'm not a fan of his but I'm a realist.

If they can re-sign Rex at a decent salary... then he'll be back.

Otherwise it's Hill, Gio, and a draft pick.

Hill remains part of the trio no matter what.

Yeah.....you're probably right...and it's a shame too.  I'd get rid of his ass if it were up to me.  He just isn't very good.  As usual.....they'll stand pat with another below average vet instead of seeking a gamechanger.  Ugh.....marvball 3.0

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 02:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Would love most all of these moves. The trenches is definately where this team needs an upgrade. So the O-line would look like...

Whitworth - Boling - Schwenke - Westerman - Wagner ? Doesn't sound too bad.

Like that draft. Just think we should add a TE somewhere in the mid to late rounds.

I think it's a safe realistic plan for the OL.  You get a true RT in his prime to solidify the outside and have some insurance as Schwenke wouldn't be expensive and is a better option at C or RG than Bodine or Winston.  Rather than depend on a specific rookie to be there, or to quickly produce you give yourself options and if a OL is BPA then awesome.  

Chemistry wise, the less moves the better but with that type of roster they could still move guys around.  The two young tackles are true LT types, maybe even LG.  So Alexa....err...Marvin...oh man, well in a perfect world if say Fisher is playing much better than Westerman then maybe you see Boling shift.  For the long term, they'll want the youngsters to start, but if they can't you need a versatile backup type and Schwenke would be an example.  

I'd be totally fine with a TE pick, especially if a good one came with one of those picks in the 4th or 5th.  I don't like drafting by having to lean much on priority but I'd like some competition.  Thing is though, I think they're so high on Uzomah, Kroft and even Hewitt that they'll go another year with that plan if Eifert misses time.  
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 10:38 AM)corpjet Wrote: Agree with most of what you said, except drafting a WR in the 4th, that pick needs to be defense or OL.  

Build from he trenches out and we will be fine, offensively we have the weapons, we need help along both fronts.

Fair enough, there are some that would like to use a higher pick or upgrade in free agency over Lafell, but we're kind of splitting hairs over using a 4th on a WR.  The team should have the talent together after FA to field a good OL, if they don't then of coarse I want an OL pick MUCH earlier than the 4th even.  
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 02:17 PM)magikod Wrote: i say we just draft the tackle from alabama Tongue

....and if he's gone by pick 8 do what?  Cam Robinson would look great at RT, but I despise planning around a guy being around especially if they end up reaching for a guy as a plan B.  
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 06:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ugh, where to begin..

Whenever you have to change out more than one part of a cohesive unit, such as an OL, it takes time to get all 5 pieces working in sync again.  Unless you're the New England Patriots coaching staff, you never want to change out more than one moving part each year.  The toughest issue to conquer, is changing out Center, as we really don't have anyone better than Bodine up to speed.  Yes, I know they went radical, and plugged Bodine in as a rookie.  That was the anomaly for the Bengals, as Bodine never has seemed to not get buried by 3-4 NTs.

As the situation stands, the Bengals are screwed.  The best case scenario that I can come up with would be to sign Whit and Zeitler, cut losses on Ogbuehi, keep Fisher at RT, draft the best C available, that can handle huge guys one on one, to compete with Bodine, and draft both a Tackle and a Guard to develop.

I don't think they're screwed.  Chemistry is very important to the OL, but the group is in flux as it is you're just looking for the best plan going forward even if it is messy.  I hope they retain Zeitler, but if they don't then you have to replace him as well.  So things could get messy, but if they're going to use a big asset on OL historically they go tackle.   Maybe they end up with a guy like Pocic Elflein but a weak FA market may lead a team to take them earlier than Cincy's 2nd possibly.  So a plan with a descent FA center would be nice, and I doubt they cut bait on Ced yet. 
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 10:38 AM)corpjet Wrote: Agree with most of what you said, except drafting a WR in the 4th, that pick needs to be defense or OL.

Build from he trenches out and we will be fine, offensively we have the weapons, we need help along both fronts.

Yep, this is the round where they LOVE to take their big guys. It'll be a o-line man or d. They've drafted Billings, Peko, Geno and Sims there.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 03:43 AM)phil413 Wrote: I think it's a safe realistic plan for the OL.  You get a true RT in his prime to solidify the outside and have some insurance as Schwenke wouldn't be expensive and is a better option at C or RG than Bodine or Winston.  Rather than depend on a specific rookie to be there, or to quickly produce you give yourself options and if a OL is BPA then awesome.  

Chemistry wise, the less moves the better but with that type of roster they could still move guys around.  The two young tackles are true LT types, maybe even LG.  So Alexa....err...Marvin...oh man, well in a perfect world if say Fisher is playing much better than Westerman then maybe you see Boling shift.  For the long term, they'll want the youngsters to start, but if they can't you need a versatile backup type and Schwenke would be an example.  

I'd be totally fine with a TE pick, especially if a good one came with one of those picks in the 4th or 5th.  I don't like drafting by having to lean much on priority but I'd like some competition.  Thing is though, I think they're so high on Uzomah, Kroft and even Hewitt that they'll go another year with that plan if Eifert misses time.  

I believe the best move in FA is to get a RT so i am right there with you.

Anyway we cut it we are going to have a different O-line next year and chemistry be damned i hope it should be better
than it was last year with Og at RT. Zeitler is the most likely of the two OL to be gone so what you are saying here is a
bit realistic cause the FO will have to make moves whether they like it or not.

Fisher had one decent game this year really, we cannot just say he is a mainstay at RT and throw another season away
like we did last year with Og. The FO will have to make some moves. Who knows if they make a move at Center, i doubt
it honestly if PA is back, he can never admit he was wrong.

If it was me i would draft Toth or Elfein in the draft and that way we have more of a future than Schwenke. But i like
this move as well. Bottomline, the FO cannot keep Bodine at C, keep Fisher at RT, let Zeitler go and expect to be better.

I like Westerman a lot but i have no faith in PA coaching him up, that whole right side would be a weakness.

You cannot expect Westerman to hold Bodine and Fisher together like Zeit tried to do this year with Bodine and Og.
Reply/Quote
Some solid ideas so far and nothing that is TOTALLY out of the realm of a possibility (other than Alexander being fired and Hill being cut).
I think we all know that they will give Og one more year to prove himself. That means, no OL drafted in the first 3 rounds. I think Pocic and Elflein will both be gone by the time the Bengals pick in the second round.

I change my mind about 20 times a day thinking about the draft, but right now, I would be cool with a Reuben Foster/Budda Baker combo for rounds 1 and 2. I think Baker is going to be a great Safety. If Elflein or Pocic is there in the second round, they should grab one of them but they won't.

What did you guys think of TJ Johnson when he was in?
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 03:17 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Some solid ideas so far and nothing that is TOTALLY out of the realm of a possibility (other than Alexander being fired and Hill being cut).
I think we all know that they will give Og one more year to prove himself. That means, no OL drafted in the first 3 rounds. I think Pocic and Elflein will both be gone by the time the Bengals pick in the second round.

I change my mind about 20 times a day thinking about the draft, but right now, I would be cool with a Reuben Foster/Budda Baker combo for rounds 1 and 2. I think Baker is going to be a great Safety. If Elflein or Pocic is there in the second round, they should grab one of them but they won't.

What did you guys think of TJ Johnson when he was in?

TJ played good at LG but that is Boling's spot. We need him to play well at Center and he was bad in the
Preseason playing there last year. I don't think TJ Johnson is the answer at all. He would of beaten Bodine
out at Center long ago and would of played much better there against 2nd, 3rd and 4th stringers.
Reply/Quote