Poll: Will you be upset?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How upset will you be if Whitworth is gone after this year
How upset will you be if he is gone after this year? Will you be surprised?
Reply/Quote
I'd be shocked and upset.

1. He's come out and said he won't ever wear another jersey.
2. He's one of the top 3 OTs in the history of the organization. Had a great year in 2014.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
More shocked than upset. Great Bengal, but, next guy up and on we go.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2015, 09:04 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: More shocked than upset.  Great Bengal, but, next guy up and on we go.

Pretty much this. I'm not surprised anymore when a player leaves a team. That's just how it works.
Reply/Quote
More disappointed than upset. A guy playing is while career for the same team is a rarity nowadays. We adjust took 2 OTs so it's possible that we move on after this season. It'll all come down to how much money eye he wants.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I wont be upset at all. We got his best years. If they can get similar quality for less money, then I'm all for that.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I would have to agree with the previous posts. I would be more disappointed than truly upset. Losing each year in the first round is what makes me upset. A player moving on, or a team moving on from a player, is just what happens in the business of sports.
Reply/Quote
I would be more shocked if he was here next season. Drafting two Ot's signals the end of his run a Bengal.
Reply/Quote
I know everyone loves the guy, hell so do I but if they let him go it will be for a good reason, either because he is starting to go downhill or because our young guys are impressing.

I saw someone say this before but it is true "Better to let a player walk a year too early than a year too late."

Also this board(Old Board) constantly bashed the Bengals for being too loyal and not sitting players or replacing them early on with rookies, can't have it both ways, Whit will be 34 this season and while he may be an all time great I really can't see a reason to sign him back unless it is a cheap 1 year deal as insurance unless they absolutely hate what they see from the rookies.

I mean we have to accept that drafting a 2 OT's in the first 2 rounds of the draft puts the writing on the wall for our 2 current starters going into a contract year.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2015, 10:19 PM)WCStripes Wrote: I would be more shocked if he was here next season. Drafting two Ot's signals the end of his run a Bengal.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'd be surprised. When he loses his starting LT spot, I think he agrees to take less money and play guard. When he can't win a starting guard position, he retires.
Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch today.
Reply/Quote
I do not know that upset is the right description.

He is still playing at a high level. I would at least try to bump him inside if he fades a little this year. He can still deliver for a few years to come. Mostly it would seem like a waste.
Reply/Quote
Whit has been one of the few bright lights on this team the last few years. And I believe he's still got something in the tank !

We don't have any clue how quickly the rookies will develop and I'd say it's more likely Smith is history.

Pretty upset
Reply/Quote
I'd be upset in that I'd miss the guy as a player and a team leader. I'd be ok giving him short extensions until his play declined. Just because we drafted OTs this doesn't mean they have to start next year. If Whit is still the best then Cedric or Fisher can sit for 2 years or 3 years.
Reply/Quote
Not sure how upset I'd be, but I wouldn't understand the decision, and it would seem like a messy ending between the two.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I'll be annoyed because this organization has proven that it will be loyal to even the most average players and coaches. We all know that Whitworth isn't looking to getting a blockbuster deal. He's looking to finish his career for a team that he loves. The only reason it wouldn't be okay if Whitworth didn't play for us next year is if he retires of his level or his play falls through the floor.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2015, 10:24 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: I know everyone loves the guy, hell so do I but if they let him go it will be for a good reason, either because he is starting to go downhill or because our young guys are impressing.

I saw someone say this before but it is true "Better to let a player walk a year too early than a year too late."

Also this board(Old Board) constantly bashed the Bengals for being too loyal and not sitting players or replacing them early on with rookies, can't have it both ways, Whit will be 34 this season and while he may be an all time great I really can't see a reason to sign him back unless it is a cheap 1 year deal as insurance unless they absolutely hate what they see from the rookies.

I mean we have to accept that drafting a 2 OT's in the first 2 rounds of the draft puts the writing on the wall for our 2 current starters going into a contract year.

I think the main difference is that when we wanted those rookies to play, it was because they were improvements to what we have now. It's hard to say that Ogubehi or Fisher is going to play at an All-Pro level their first year.

That's the only way they would be an improvement, Whit was named to Second Team All-Pro.

If Whit's production drops, then I wouldn't be too shocked, but still would be disappointed.

It's not every day you hear a player say he wants to retire as a Bengal.
Reply/Quote
If Whit has another year like this past one, and they don't keep him, then I'd be very upset about the whole Loyalty to your players thing that MB preaches about. Now if Whit's play falls off, then Ok, it's time.
Reply/Quote
It would be a major bummer, for sure, as I think that he's one of the dudes that keeps the team's heart beating.

With that said, he's getting older and has his replacement here now, so I don't think it would devastate the team skill-wise.

I'd still much rather him be here than not, but they didn't draft tackles in the 1st AND 2nd rounds to have them ride the bench.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I voted no because I don't watch sports to be upset.
Reply/Quote