Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How will Republicans distance themselves from Trump in the future?
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1257443989244043272.html

Quote:[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.84)]Yesterday, Trump fired the Intelligence Community Inspector General who complied with a statutory duty to notify Congress of a whistleblower complaint because Republican Senators like Chuck Grassley let him. 1/ [/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.84)]On Friday, Trump announced a replacement for the HHS acting Inspector General who issued a report on severe supply shortages on hospitals during a deadly global pandemic because Republican Senators like Ron Johnson let him. 2/ [/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.84)]Last month, Trump replaced the DoD acting Inspector General who investigated whether he personally interfered in a $10 billion procurement to retaliate against Amazon's Jeff Bezos for news coverage in the Washington Post because Republican Senators like James Lankford let him. 3/ [/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.84)]Last month, Trump nominated a White House lawyer who helped him stonewall the legislative branch during the impeachment process to be the Inspector General overseeing the coronavirus bailout because he knows Republican Senators like Susan Collins are fine with that. 4/ [/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.84)]One of Trump's nominees for an IG position is a staff-level government lawyer who would need the management skills to oversee a 1600 person office overseeing the lead agency in the COVID-19 response because Republican Senators like Marco Rubio have signaled that anything goes. 5/ [/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.84)]Trump fired an FBI Director for allowing the FBI to investigate him because Republican Senators like Lindsey Graham let him. 6/ [/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.84)]Trump committed the impeachable act of firing an Attorney General for declining to stop an investigation of him because Republican Senators like Tom Cotton let him. He then replaced the AG with an unprincipled loyalist because every Republican Senator and 3 Democrats let him. /7 [/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.84)]Trump fired a Director of National Intelligence he had personally appointed because the DNI's deputy spilled the beans to Congress that the Russians are trying to help him win another election because Republican Senators like Mitch McConnell let him. /8 [/color]
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
I do think the ill Republicans should distance themselves from POTUS. It's the right thing to do in the current climate. How they do it is unimportant.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Ill Republicans, so only the sick ones?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
It's just the flu. They're not really sick.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Why would they? Just shoot up some Lysol and get back to passing tax cuts on top earners.
(05-04-2020, 09:10 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It's just the flu. They're not really sick.

Saw someone ask when the flu season usually ends and if they predict an increase in deaths through the next couple months for the flu.

But Trump was too busy rage tweeting about the Lincoln Project to look into that.
You mask is slipping.
Do we really think they will? They have allowed this to happen. They have supported the erosion of our democratic principles. If they try to distance themselves they should be reminded at every opportunity that they allowed this to happen. They violated their oaths of office.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-05-2020, 10:49 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Do we really think they will? They have allowed this to happen. They have supported the erosion of our democratic principles. If they try to distance themselves they should be reminded at every opportunity that they allowed this to happen. They violated their oaths of office.

I do believe they will try.

If the public opinion on DJT turns enough, or if he's not "helping" them they'll cite every time they were "concerned" about his tweets or what he said.

If a Democrat President tries the same they will say how they really wanted to stop Trump but (somehow) the democrats stopped them...lol.
You mask is slipping.
(05-05-2020, 10:49 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Do we really think they will?

I don't. I doubt Trumpism will go away with Trump.
(05-05-2020, 11:25 AM)hollodero Wrote:  
I don't. I doubt Trumpism will go away with Trump.

I'm not going to lie, and I may be a little more "doom and gloom" than others on this, I think that we are going to see the end of our government in the near future. We currently have the oldest written, codified constitution still in use. It needs a major revamping to fit the modern times, either through a number of amendments or through a rewrite (which would be a dissolution of our current government).

Weaknesses in our system have been laid bare and it is only getting worse. I just can't see us reversing course once Trump is out of office and it will result in major changes.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-05-2020, 11:37 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm not going to lie, and I may be a little more "doom and gloom" than others on this, I think that we are going to see the end of our government in the near future. We currently have the oldest written, codified constitution still in use. It needs a major revamping to fit the modern times, either through a number of amendments or through a rewrite (which would be a dissolution of our current government).

Weaknesses in our system have been laid bare and it is only getting worse. I just can't see us reversing course once Trump is out of office and it will result in major changes.

I pretty much see it the same way. And I also blame the constitution, in large parts. This is not a failproof code by any means and sure not fit for these times.

Also, authoritarian test balloon after test balloon passes by, stuff that is outright scary and would be quite unthinkable in a democratic country like mine. And a whole party plays along. I don't think you're doom and gloom at all. I feel you have quite a realistic view on what's happening.
(05-05-2020, 11:37 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm not going to lie, and I may be a little more "doom and gloom" than others on this, I think that we are going to see the end of our government in the near future. We currently have the oldest written, codified constitution still in use. It needs a major revamping to fit the modern times, either through a number of amendments or through a rewrite (which would be a dissolution of our current government).

I used to say the same thing in the 80's...lol.

You may be right, or maybe better people will fix things that have been exposed.

Strange times to be living in.
You mask is slipping.
(05-05-2020, 12:30 PM)GMDino Wrote: I used to say the same thing in the 80's...lol.

You may be right, or maybe better people will fix things that have been exposed.

Strange times to be living in.

This is an important point, though, because this isn't a new thing. This slide has been happening for quite a while. Trump isn't the cause. This fire has been burning for decades and Trump is like taking a jug of kerosene and dumping it on.

After Trump's failures in the 90's due to mismanaging his companies, he was able to use his inheritance from his father's death and TV to reestablish the brand of "Trump". Since then, a lot of his money has come from selling his name out to successful hotels, even as his own product lines (steaks, ties, water) have folded.

His presidency has been more or less the same. He is attaching his name to success that either does not exist or is the result of others, while much of what he has been directly involved in has been horrendous. Still, the GOP goes on selling it as a successful brand, usually by spouting outright lies, and low-information voters buy it.

This pandemic will test how much swing voters are willing to buy, but the base is full-on "let's kill people and open up".

(05-05-2020, 12:37 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: This is an important point, though, because this isn't a new thing. This slide has been happening for quite a while. Trump isn't the cause. This fire has been burning for decades and Trump is like taking a jug of kerosene and dumping it on.

Maybe he's being so over the top will help swing the pendulum the other way.
You mask is slipping.
(05-05-2020, 01:06 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: After Trump's failures in the 90's due to mismanaging his companies, he was able to use his inheritance from his father's death and TV to reestablish the brand of "Trump". Since then, a lot of his money has come from selling his name out to successful hotels, even as his own product lines (steaks, ties, water) have folded.

His presidency has been more or less the same. He is attaching his name to success that either does not exist or is the result of others, while much of what he has been directly involved in has been horrendous. Still, the GOP goes on selling it as a successful brand, usually by spouting outright lies, and low-information voters buy it.

This pandemic will test how much swing voters are willing to buy, but the base is full-on "let's kill people and open up".

He still has a huge advantage as an incumbent.  Biden can't really campaign the way Trump can in terms of media exposure right now.  It's going to be hard as hell for Biden to raise money or utilize field operations in states he deems critical.  This could be a real killer.

However, I do still think Trump has a huge decision to make in the next month or so.  I don't think he's made it yet, either.  If he manages to open the economy and get it even close to looking like something other than a complete long-term disaster, then he's probably in decent shape.  If people have any hope for stability in November, then he's going to be able to take credit.  

I don't think he personally gives a shit who he kills to open it.  He probably does, however understand what will happen if re-opening too early has a bad outcome and he's on record being ride or die with it.  Deaths aren't even the only potential snag.  If he opens and there's a spike, many if not all parts of the country will shut down again.  The hiccups will harm the economy IMO more than a protracted shutdown.  It's going to be disastrous for him.  All Biden really has to do is not talk and let the thing play out.  

Biden is a poor candidate.  He's not Hillary bad because he hasn't been building resentment for almost 3 decades like the Clintons.  He's still very bland and unexciting.  His best bet is letting Trump lose it all by himself, which I thing is a pretty realistic possibility at this point.
(05-05-2020, 02:30 PM)samhain Wrote: He still has a huge advantage as an incumbent.  Biden can't really campaign the way Trump can in terms of media exposure right now.  It's going to be hard as hell for Biden to raise money or utilize field operations in states he deems critical.  This could be a real killer.

However, I do still think Trump has a huge decision to make in the next month or so.  I don't think he's made it yet, either.  If he manages to open the economy and get it even close to looking like something other than a complete long-term disaster, then he's probably in decent shape.  If people have any hope for stability in November, then he's going to be able to take credit.  

I don't think he personally gives a shit who he kills to open it.  He probably does, however understand what will happen if re-opening too early has a bad outcome and he's on record being ride or die with it.  Deaths aren't even the only potential snag.  If he opens and there's a spike, many if not all parts of the country will shut down again.  The hiccups will harm the economy IMO more than a protracted shutdown.  It's going to be disastrous for him.  All Biden really has to do is not talk and let the thing play out.  

Biden is a poor candidate.  He's not Hillary bad because he hasn't been building resentment for almost 3 decades like the Clintons.  He's still very bland and unexciting.  His best bet is letting Trump lose it all by himself, which I thing is a pretty realistic possibility at this point.

Incumbents have a pretty good advantage. It usually takes significantly bad economic conditions to oust them. I think he will ultimately side with the economy over lives because of this. 

I think Biden needs to just hammer home how inept Trump's Covid response has been. 

(05-05-2020, 11:46 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Incumbents have a pretty good advantage. It usually takes significantly bad economic conditions to oust them. I think he will ultimately side with the economy over lives because of this. 

I think Biden needs to just hammer home how inept Trump's Covid response has been. 

That's certainly part of it, but if the pandemic gets in the way of field operations, things get pretty complicated.  It's nearly impossible to win Florida with out a ton of money invested and heavy ground game.  However, it's polling tightly right now.  It's a tempting target, but would be a huge drain on resources if he were to lose it.  If Trump loses Florida, it's practically over for him.  

If Trump keeps pushing the idea of re-opening and the cost in terms of infection and human life is heavy in the elderly population, I wonder how many seniors will still be overly enthusiastic about supporting a president who gambled with their lives.
(05-06-2020, 12:56 AM)samhain Wrote: That's certainly part of it, but if the pandemic gets in the way of field operations, things get pretty complicated.  It's nearly impossible to win Florida with out a ton of money invested and heavy ground game.  However, it's polling tightly right now.  It's a tempting target, but would be a huge drain on resources if he were to lose it.  If Trump loses Florida, it's practically over for him.  

If Trump keeps pushing the idea of re-opening and the cost in terms of infection and human life is heavy in the elderly population, I wonder how many seniors will still be overly enthusiastic about supporting a president who gambled with their lives.

How states conduct the elections will play a role too. More mail-in voting could be beneficial for turnout, especially if the Democrats have a good ground game getting people to mail in their ballots. 

(05-06-2020, 01:53 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: How states conduct the elections will play a role too. More mail-in voting could be beneficial for turnout, especially if the Democrats have a good ground game getting people to mail in their ballots. 

A lot of my gop friends are going off about mail in ballots because they think there will be more corruption. It's pretty even between one side of them that wants to not allow mail ins and one side which wants to open nursing homes to speakers who can encourage residents to vote republican in hopes of countering the Democrat fraud.