Poll: Will Compensation picks play a role in signing free agents this upcoming off season?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How will comp Picks effect free agency for the Bengals?
(01-09-2021, 01:42 AM)J24 Wrote: Both Jackson & Lawson are looking at big pay days if both of them leave during free agency

I'm not so sure that statement is entirely true.  The number of teams with money available to spend will be far fewer than the number of teams looking to shed some cap.  Sounds like it will be a buyer's market this year, for sure.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
According to Spotrac, there are 12 teams already over the cap, this with no rookie pool or FA yet.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2021/

So, I agree with Sunset, it is definite buyer's market and we will see vets cut like never before because of it.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 11:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not so sure that statement is entirely true.  The number of teams with money available to spend will be far fewer than the number of teams looking to shed some cap.  Sounds like it will be a buyer's market this year, for sure.

That's if the Cap stays at 175 which is highly unlikely because of the TV money that is likely going  to come in. Along with that the NFL owners and Players would prefer to spread out the loss over a couple of seasons then all at once.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 11:46 PM)J24 Wrote: That's if the Cap stays at 175 which is highly unlikely because of the TV money that is likely going  to come in. Along with that the NFL owners and Players would prefer to spread out the loss over a couple of seasons then all at once.

The cap was projected to be 200 million, but due to a lot of lost revenue, now it likely is closer to 175 million than 200 million.

"This year's cap was $198.2 million per team. Next year's could be as low as $175 million"  In 2020 the cap was 198 million and it normally goes up 10% a year, they may see a 10% decline which means a 20% swing teams were used to have in cap space in 2021.

The old TV deals expire some in 2021 and others not until 2022

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 02:19 AM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: I voted no, but I’ll admit I think it’s likely just ignorance on my part.  I chose no because I wouldn’t think that 2022 comp picks would dictate what we do now in 2021.  Am I crazy for thinking that?  I will completely admit, I’m not very familiar with comp picks as far as how they work.  I know we’ve had them in the past, and I’ve read countless posts that say we covet them (or that MB does), but other than that I’m pretty clueless.  Please advise!  Excited to learn!

I guess you never read Mike Brown's Model Model.

That said, I believe Model Model may have died. The team, if it doesn't re-sign Jackson and Lawson, can expect two 4th round picks, possibly a 3rd and 4th, in 2022 if Jackson and Lawson sign elsewhere.

The problem with Model Model is that team really didn't adequately replace the departing players before they departed, leaving new holes to fill. In addition, the team didn't always get as high a pick as it expected. Whitworth only brought a 5th rounder. Giving up an All-Pro LT for a 5th round pick a year later wasn't a win for the Bengals.

The team got a 3rd rounder for Zeitler. Unfortunately, those OL holes are still gaping wide open.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 12:30 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The cap was projected to be 200 million, but due to a lot of lost revenue, now it likely is closer to 175 million than 200 million.

The old TV deals expire some in 2021 and others not until 2022

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/12/06/optimism-emerges-regarding-2021-salary-cap/amp/
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 12:58 AM)J24 Wrote: https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/12/06/optimism-emerges-regarding-2021-salary-cap/amp/

Never a good sign though in a short article they use the word "could" multiple times.. which means nothing is decided
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 12:58 AM)J24 Wrote: https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/12/06/optimism-emerges-regarding-2021-salary-cap/amp/

This was an ESPN article today discussing Ben R. and his 41+ million cap number for 2021.

"This year's cap was $198.2 million per team. Next year's could be as low as $175 million"

Teams project out for years ahead, they never anticipated a pandemic and this much lost revenue. The CBA is based on revenue so the cap number will be based on 2020 revenue. It may only be a one year decline due to added playoff games and an extra game 17 in the future, but no changing 2020, it will be whatever it turns out to be and owners and players are under contract to honor the CBA.

Reply/Quote
I don't think it'll impact the FA decisions at all for this team. But not even because the team plans to address all needs in the draft. After reading some of what Hobson has put out, and the way this team has addressed parts of the roster (like OL) recently, I think in large part they still believe they can make the pieces they have now work fine. They'll use the comp picks as projects/depth behind guys on the roster they feel just need to turn the corner with a little more coaching/time.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 12:44 AM)BengalChris Wrote:  Giving up an All-Pro LT for a 5th round pick a year later wasn't a win for the Bengals.

The team got a 3rd rounder for Zeitler. Unfortunately, those OL holes are still gaping wide open.

You don't understand the big picture.

They did not get a 5th round pick for Whitworth.  They got  a 5th round pick plus $11 million in cap space.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 01:46 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I don't think it'll impact the FA decisions at all for this team.  But not even because the team plans to address all needs in the draft.  After reading some of what Hobson has put out, and the way this team has addressed parts of the roster (like OL) recently, I think in large part they still believe they can make the pieces they have now work fine.  They'll use the comp picks as projects/depth behind guys on the roster they feel just need to turn the corner with a little more coaching/time.

Also to consider, Bengals will have the opportunity to sign veteran players cut by other teams (more due to cap issues than in past). Those players do not count, only free agents not under contract in 2021 at any time count for and against teams future comp. picks.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 02:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You don't understand the big picture.

They did not get a 5th round pick for Whitworth.  They got  a 5th round pick plus $11 million in cap space.

Ah, I might be missing something. Isn't having a really good LT worth $11M in cap space compared to having a horrible LT that wrecks the offense?

Maybe my "big picture" is a little different than some other people's "big picture", I'd make that trade off any day of the week and many times on Sundays.

I know you are being humorous about Mike Brown's "big picture". LOL

Reply/Quote