Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How would the Draft have been different had Marvin still been here instead of Zac ?
(05-06-2019, 06:51 PM)Joelist Wrote: I don't see Jonah, Sample or Pratt happening under the old regime. They would have traded back and not tried to go OL until Round 2 at earliest. They certainly would not have devoted three picks including both Rounds 1 and 2 to fixing the blocking. That kind of focused drafting where BPA is secondary to building blocks was not what the former regime was known for.

Right.  I mean they would NEVER use the first two picks in the draft on O-line, right?

How about this?  Since this entire thread is nothing but playing make believe why not just claim Marvin would have traded all of our picks to get Bodine back from the Bills? 
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2019, 07:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How about this?  Since this entire thread is nothing but playing make believe why not just claim Marvin would have traded all of our picks to get Bodine back from the Bills? 

I would give Marvin more credit than that, Fred.

He would have gotten 3 players back for all of those picks.

Bodine back from the Bills plus have the Bills throw in Jake Fisher and then still have all of those 6th round picks left to get Cedric back from the Jaguars.  Tongue
Reply/Quote
Who's this Marvin guy people are talking about?
Reply/Quote
Marvin was probably a better drafter than a coach, his disappointments with some recent draft picks over the last few years was evident of this. Like Ross which was either a MB or Tobin pick.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2019, 11:40 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Marvin was probably a better drafter than a coach, his disappointments with some recent draft picks over the last few years was evident of this.  Like Ross which was either a MB or Tobin pick.

The sad thing is...we'll never know.

I doubt that since ZT got hired in Feb that he's scouted all the college players in the draft and did his other duties.

Free Agency was underwhelming especially having $50+ million cap space.

Had Jonah Williams not fell to us, I think the draft would have been underwhelming too.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 11:31 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: If Marvin were still HC:
-Bengals hire Jack Del Rio as DC
-Hue is still here, possibly as OC, but definitely in some capacity
-Bengals sign AJ McCarron who has now accepted his role in this league is to be a career backup. Bengals like the known commodity and he worked well with Hue.
-Bengals do not sign Webb or Wynn (both FA from the Giants).
-Bengals do play waiting game with Dennard, however do not have the fall back option (Webb) already in place in case Dennard leaves. Doesn’t matter because the market for him is the same and he’s back on a one year deal.
-Bengals sign Brandon Marshall to play at LB. Spent a season or two with Del Rio in Denver.
-Bengals still play wait and see in round one (can’t blame them) and Pitt still takes Bush.
-Bengals still draft Williams as he was the clear BPA (lap said he was #4 on the big board) and Marvin knows the OL needs upgrading.
-Bengals draft Greedy Williams in the 2nd. Marvin still isn’t happy with the CB outlook since Dennard is only back on a one year deal.
-Bengals still draft Pratt. LB is a need (believe it or not, Bengals still cut Burfict). Plus Pratt was a favorite of Mike Brown (glad he got his man on this one, one of my favorites too).
-Bengals do not trade up for Finley as they don’t need a backup QB.
-Bengals still trade up in 4 since they have extra picks. Draft one of the best players left, and one of my personal favorites, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson.
-The rest of the draft plays out about the same

Overall, most fans (including myself) like the majority of the moves, but know the results will not change because Marvin was still the one steering the ship. Personally I’d call that a better offseason (on paper) than the moves Zac has made, but I’ll take our new coach and these moves over Marvin and those any day.

Merv would have kept all the 6th round picks and once he used them all, he would just put 8 of the 11 picks on IR right away and played useless vets as backups. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don’t care. Let’s move on.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Marvin always handled himself with class and I wish him well on all future endeavors no need to bash him..
Reply/Quote