Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How would the Draft have been different had Marvin still been here instead of Zac ?
The Sample and Finley picks don't happen under Marvin, and we would still probably have more of those sixth rounders. We might have traded back into the 4th round once.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 02:37 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: The Sample and Finley picks don't happen under Marvin, and we would still probably have more of those sixth rounders. We might have traded back into the 4th round once.

5 or 6 6th round picks with little or no trading up or down? Makes sense..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 02:40 PM)grampahol Wrote: 5 or 6 6th round picks with little or no trading up or down? Makes sense..

Marvin was always a quantity over quality guy.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Marvin was on ESPN after the Zac hiring stating that the Bengals needed to keep fixing the OL, so I believe OT would've still been the pick if he were still here. Might have not been Jonah Williams though, could've been Dillard instead. You have to consider Pollack's input also.

We would've selected Jachal Polite in the 2nd instead of Drew Sample.

We would've selected Mack Wilson instead of Germaine Pratt in the 3rd

We probably would've drafted Chauncey Gardner-Johnson who fell into the 4th round for bad interviews apparently. Instead of trading up for Finley, we trade up into the 3rd round to grab CGJ.

We probably still draft OL depth somewhere but not sure if Michael Jordan is still there in the 5th. We draft 1 RB instead of two. Probably take a corner and WR for special teams. No need for a Deshaun Davis type of pick since Vinny Rey would probably still be here with Marv and Hardy Nickerson's spot would certainly be safe.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 11:58 AM)depthchart Wrote: How do you think the Draft would have been different had Marvin been retained and still here to help shape the 2019 Draft.

No Zac Taylor but instead they had rode with Marvin again into 2019.

Likely not the same Offensive Focus in the Draft.

The Drew Sample and Ryan Finley picks would very likely not have occurred.

Maybe Marvin would have influenced a greater focus on Defense versus Zac's Offensive focus.

What say you ?

Would Jonah Williams still have been the 1st round pick ?

Would Marvin have pushed for Dwayne Haskins or a defensive 1st round pick like say a Rashan Gary.

I know it is purely speculation but (just for fun) what do you think may have happened differently had Marvin still been here for the 2019 Draft.

I believe Williams would have been the pick in the first regardless. In the second round we probably would have gone defense instead of a run blocking TE. Pratt would probably still have been the pick in the 3rd.

Later in the draft there would have been some guy with off field issues and a sad story he likes to tell to anyone who will listen as to why it's not his fault he's always in trouble.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 02:55 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: Marvin was on ESPN after the Zac hiring stating that the Bengals needed to keep fixing the OL, so I believe OT would've still been the pick if he were still here. Might have not been Jonah Williams though, could've been Dillard instead. You have to consider Pollack's input also.

We probably would've drafted Chauncey Gardner-Johnson who fell into the 4th round for bad interviews apparently. Instead of trading up for Finley, we trade up into the 3rd round to grab CGJ.

We probably still draft OL depth somewhere but not sure if Michael Jordan is still there in the 5th. We draft 1 RB instead of two. Probably take a corner and WR for special teams. No need for a Deshaun Davis type of pick since Vinny Rey would probably still be here with Marv and Hardy Nickerson's spot would certainly be safe.

Sounds about right, great breakdown bro. Just happy this is all Hypothetical LMAO!
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 11:58 AM)depthchart Wrote: How do you think the Draft would have been different had Marvin been retained and still here to help shape the 2019 Draft.

No Zac Taylor but instead they had rode with Marvin again into 2019.

Likely not the same Offensive Focus in the Draft.

The Drew Sample and Ryan Finley picks would very likely not have occurred.

Maybe Marvin would have influenced a greater focus on Defense versus Zac's Offensive focus.

What say you ?

Would Jonah Williams still have been the 1st round pick ?

Would Marvin have pushed for Dwayne Haskins or a defensive 1st round pick like say a Rashan Gary.

I know it is purely speculation but (just for fun) what do you think may have happened differently had Marvin still been here for the 2019 Draft.

I think they would probably go with Jeffrey Simmons in the 1st.  That way you get the traditional early Marvin injured guy and character risk picks out of the way in one fell swoop.  Marvin would bank we can get a T in 2 and sit there with that blank bug eyed stare as they all fly off the board in front of us, then take Greedy Williams because you can't have enough CB's.  They go Mack Wilson in 3 because Marvin loves him some SEC players and needs his 3rd round LB.  
Reply/Quote
I feel Marvin would have liked Greedy Williams or Ed Oliver or Montez Sweat on his big board.
Then RD 2 maybe Reisner or Mack Wilson.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 12:51 AM)impactplaya Wrote: I feel Marvin would have liked  Greedy Williams or Ed Oliver or Montez Sweat on his big board.
Then RD 2 maybe Reisner or Mack Wilson.

I think in the 1st Round we go Jonah Williams.

In the 2nd Round...probably Greedy Williams. Maybe DK Metcalf.

Then after selecting 2 Williams, we probably look for a 3rd Williams in the 3rd Round! Quincy Williams a LB from Murray State.

In the 4th/5th Round: We trade our draft picks for picks next year as there are no Williams worth selecting here.

6th Round: Williams train rolls on: Trayveon Williams, RC who we selected. Dexter Williams, RB ND.

7th Round: Trade picks as no Williams available.

Best Pick: Williams
Biggest Reach: Williams
Sleeper Pick: Williams
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 12:07 PM)depthchart Wrote: Which specific players do you think he would have targeted ?

I think Marvin would have went for DT Wilkins or DE Gary. He liked Oliver last year.
Reply/Quote
If Marvin were still HC:
-Bengals hire Jack Del Rio as DC
-Hue is still here, possibly as OC, but definitely in some capacity
-Bengals sign AJ McCarron who has now accepted his role in this league is to be a career backup. Bengals like the known commodity and he worked well with Hue.
-Bengals do not sign Webb or Wynn (both FA from the Giants).
-Bengals do play waiting game with Dennard, however do not have the fall back option (Webb) already in place in case Dennard leaves. Doesn’t matter because the market for him is the same and he’s back on a one year deal.
-Bengals sign Brandon Marshall to play at LB. Spent a season or two with Del Rio in Denver.
-Bengals still play wait and see in round one (can’t blame them) and Pitt still takes Bush.
-Bengals still draft Williams as he was the clear BPA (lap said he was #4 on the big board) and Marvin knows the OL needs upgrading.
-Bengals draft Greedy Williams in the 2nd. Marvin still isn’t happy with the CB outlook since Dennard is only back on a one year deal.
-Bengals still draft Pratt. LB is a need (believe it or not, Bengals still cut Burfict). Plus Pratt was a favorite of Mike Brown (glad he got his man on this one, one of my favorites too).
-Bengals do not trade up for Finley as they don’t need a backup QB.
-Bengals still trade up in 4 since they have extra picks. Draft one of the best players left, and one of my personal favorites, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson.
-The rest of the draft plays out about the same

Overall, most fans (including myself) like the majority of the moves, but know the results will not change because Marvin was still the one steering the ship. Personally I’d call that a better offseason (on paper) than the moves Zac has made, but I’ll take our new coach and these moves over Marvin and those any day.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 12:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep.

So Taylor was hired early Feb. He apparently:

-Got hired.
-Evaluated the roster.
-Evaluated coaches.
-Hired coaches.
-Scouted college players.
-Scouted free agents.
-Decided which free agents to sign.
-Created a vision for the team complete with offense/defense.
-Ran the draft.

Yeah...I doubt that all was done by Taylor in 3 months.

How can anyone argue when you put it like that?
Reply/Quote
Bengals trade up to the 5th pick and draft the combine freak, DK Metcalf. Combine records =Results!!!

Just kidding.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 05:44 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: How can anyone argue when you put it like that?

Yep. Scouting college players isn't something you do in 1 or 2 months especially with all of those other tasks.

The Bengals Management Team is likely performing A LOT of the tasks on my list...and fans assume it's Taylor.

Much like a lot of the things they assume Marvin did were not done by him.
Reply/Quote
Not sure much would have changed. Still saw same tendencies (3rd round LB, 4th round DT). Marvin was no stranger to taking a OT in the first round. Or a late round QB that really wouldn't threaten Dalton. Even if we hit on some UDFA's, that wouldn't have been any different then what Marvin would have done.

The trade up's were new, but often Hobspin would mention how they tried to trade up (typically for a player he claims they ended up getting anyway which may have been the case with ZT, as there was a feeling we were just trying to get rid of some of those 6th round picks) but failed.

The team could always draft players. Just couldn't get the talent to play collectively, or develop depth.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
One thing about Zac is I don't think he can be anywhere as bad as David Bell. Hopefully Bell hasn't set a new Cincinnati low pro sporting bar of being a complete moron. Hopefully we as fans aren't continually saying, "Well, at least he's not as bad as Bell!"  Hell, I'm just about ready for Paul Alexander to replace Bell as Reds manager.. Enough about the Reds though.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2019, 10:40 AM)grampahol Wrote: One thing about Zac is I don't think he can be anywhere as bad as David Bell. Hopefully Bell hasn't set a new Cincinnati low pro sporting bar of being a complete moron. Hopefully we as fans aren't continually saying, "Well, at least he's not as bad as Bell!"  Hell, I'm just about ready for Paul Alexander to replace Bell as Reds manager.. Enough about the Reds though.. 

Remember how people thought Guenther was terrible? Then they replaced him with Austin and got MUCH MUCH WORSE?

Taylor was the Rams QB Coach. He'll be moving up to OC and HC. That is a MAJOR jump.

It's possible that he does it, but I'd say there is more risk than the average HC hire as most guys that become HC are OC, DC, or ST coaches. So it's only a one level jump.

I really think that adding an experienced DC would have been the right move, especially IF Taylor is going to be extremely involved in the offense.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 02:55 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: Marvin was on ESPN after the Zac hiring stating that the Bengals needed to keep fixing the OL, so I believe OT would've still been the pick if he were still here. Might have not been Jonah Williams though, could've been Dillard instead. You have to consider Pollack's input also.

Agree. That’s what I was thinking. Going Dillard in round one since he’s more athletic n has more “potential “. Round two taking Polite who like Mack Wilson had subpar combines scaring off most teams. Sample is definitely a Zac pick
Reply/Quote
Marvin has, for the most part, put college tape as the highest importance. However, I think Marvin preferred a certain prototype for positions, especially when it came to the early rounds. I don't know if Williams would have been the pick in the 1st round if Marvin was still HC because Williams didn't have the prototypical length that they prefer with their OTs.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I don't see Jonah, Sample or Pratt happening under the old regime. They would have traded back and not tried to go OL until Round 2 at earliest. They certainly would not have devoted three picks including both Rounds 1 and 2 to fixing the blocking. That kind of focused drafting where BPA is secondary to building blocks was not what the former regime was known for.
Reply/Quote