Poll: Where would you rank Coach Taylor's first draft compared to the past 15 from Marvin Lewis?
#1! Better than anything we've done draft wise under Marvin Lewis
2-5 one of the best drafts since Marvin Lewis
6-10 middle of the road.
11-15 one of the worst drafts since Marvin Lewis
16. Worst draft ever! Bring back Marvin!
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
How would you compare Taylors first draft as Bengals Head Coach vs Marv?
Where would you rank Zac Taylor's first draft compared to past drafts under Marvin Lewis?
Reply/Quote
ML had the number one overall pick in his first draft.
Reply/Quote
I say #1 as it addressed the priorities and i am over Marv...

Just let him go.
Reply/Quote
I chose one of the best since Marvin, as it’s the only draft since Marvin.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Marvin had some better drafts than this one. He also had some that were worse.

Of course, Marvin had 16 goes at it.

Reply/Quote
It's funny that people think the Head Coaches control the draft here. Do you think Steelers fans criticize Tomlin for drafting?

Coaches have input here, but Brown/Tobin make the calls.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 09:29 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I chose one of the best since Marvin, as it’s the only draft since Marvin.

Im talking about since Marvin first became head coach. All the drafts from 2003-2019. If you were to rank them all where would this years draft fall?
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 09:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's funny that people think the Head Coaches control the draft here. Do you think Steelers fans criticize Tomlin for drafting?

Definately a different draft or can't you tell Pistons?

(04-27-2019, 09:34 PM)Brandon00151 Wrote: Im talking about since Marvin first became head coach. All the drafts from 2003-2019. If you were to rank them all where would this years draft fall?

Marv had some great drafts and some terrible ones. I would say his first Draft was good but was kind of a no brainer to grab Carson. He had a few great Draft's namely with getting Geno in the 4th, getting Green and Dalton in the same draft, getting Will Jax and Billings in the same draft. Then he had the Og, Fisher draft...

I like this Draft a lot, filled the positions of need that the new HC needed done.

Shows me Taylor has his priorities in order. Marv had trouble in this aspect.
Reply/Quote
It's really impossible to say this early, it takes a couple seasons to see how it pans out. This could end up a great draft or it could be a big flop ?

Just a guess I'd say it's up there among some of his better ones.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 09:34 PM)Brandon00151 Wrote: Im talking about since Marvin first became head coach. All the drafts from 2003-2019. If you were to rank them all where would this years draft fall?

We drafted very well while Marvin was here generally.

Well Dalton/Boling/Green AND Gresham/Atkins/Dunlap happened under Lewis. No way was this draft better than those 2 drafts.

Joseph/Whitworth/Rucker/Peko was a GREAT draft. This draft likely wasn't as good as that.

Andre Smith/Maualuga/Michael Johnson/Huber/MacDonald was a good draft.

Kirkpatrick/Zeitler/Sanu/Jones/Iloka was good. That's a 4 starter draft and a 3rd WR.

Palmer/Steinbach was good.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 09:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's funny that people think the Head Coaches control the draft here. Do you think Steelers fans criticize Tomlin for drafting?

Right now we are think Taylor is the HC and pseudo GM.  I wonder if will ever know how much input Marvin or ZT have.  I don't see anyone wishing Marvin was the GM anymore, though. 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 09:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's funny that people think the Head Coaches control the draft here. Do you think Steelers fans criticize Tomlin for drafting?

Agreed people don't realize that Duke runs the team.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Oh sorry I read that wrong
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 09:47 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Right now we are think Taylor is the HC and pseudo GM.  I wonder if will ever know how much input Marvin or ZT have.  I don't see anyone wishing Marvin was the GM anymore, though. 

Another funny thing people do is free agency was extremely underwhelming...no one pins that on Taylor. They blame it on Mike Brown.

The draft, is generally drafting guys who were good in college so hope reigns supreme. People want to say how great ZT is for the draft.

Wait a couple years. People will turn on him. He's still in the honeymoon phase.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 11:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Another funny thing people do is free agency was extremely underwhelming...no one pins that on Taylor. They blame it on Mike Brown.

The draft, is generally drafting guys who were good in college so hope reigns supreme. People want to say how great ZT is for the draft.

Wait a couple years. People will turn on him. He's still in the honeymoon phase.

I'm hoping there's no reason to turn on ZT ! The sun has to shine on this franchise sooner or later doesn't it ?
Reply/Quote
Somewhere between 8-12. This draft had two good picks, four intriguing picks, and four very questionable picks.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Need to see a year of these guys at least before coming to a conclusion. On paper at least I'd say it's nearing Top Five.
Reply/Quote
I went with 2-5 as it is the only draft since Marvin Lewis. Why the strangely worded captions to the poll responses?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
To echo others, Marv had the 1st overall pick, which was essentially him being handed Carson Palmer on a silver platter. It was the no-brainer pick. Marv was also given a lot of incoming young talent that hadn't had time to fully blossom under Lebeau. Chad Johnson, Housh, Willie, Levi, Braham, Justin Smith, Brian Simmons, Rudi, Dillon, Kitna etc. All already on the roster.

People forget that Tobin was hired just a couple years before Marv, and that's when we started having good drafts. The 2001 draft (Justin Smith, Chad, Rudi, Housh) is probably our best draft of all-time.

This isn't me saying Marv deserves no credit. This is me saying I think people give him too much. We'll continue to draft fairly well without him.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 09:09 PM)Brandon00151 Wrote: Where would you rank Zac Taylor's first draft compared to past drafts under Marvin Lewis?

Why?
Reply/Quote