Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How would you feel about a defensive back in the 2nd round?
While there are some decent offensive players who fell out of the first round my guess is they'll be picked by teams that just draft a QB (Arizona, Giants) or teams that went defense in the first round (pretty much everyone else ahead of us). That leaves some 1st round talent at corner falling to us in the 2nd. I know we need linebackers but unless you want Mack Wilson (could be decent, or might be a reach) you're going to have to wait a bit longer to start attacking that problem. Instead we could try one of the following:

Byron Murphy  CB  Washington
Greedy Williams  CB  LSU
Rock Ya-Sin  CB  Temple
Justin Layne  CB  Michigan State
Amani Oruwariye  CB  Penn State
Julian Love CB Notre Dame
Trayvon Mullen CB Clemson
Sean Bunting CB Central Michigan
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson  DB  Florida
Nasir Adderley  DB Delaware
Taylor Rapp  S Washington

Of course there are reasons they fell out of the first round but assuming we did our research before the draft we should know which of the ones remaining is the best value when our 2nd round pick comes around. I wouldn't hate to see us get Rock Ya-Sin and getting Byron this late would feel like a real steal.

Remember, there is a version of our future where we are without Darquez Dennard after this year, and it takes time for us to get our Corners up to speed (unless that was just a Marvin thing). Finally I'd say more than almost any other position, you can't have too many good corners. Because of rotation and injury you want as many 1st and 2nd round talent level corners as possible. It is a passing league and you really just can't be too deep at this position.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think they should stay true to their board and take BPA.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 02:44 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think they should stay true to their board and take BPA.

100% Agree. 
Reply/Quote
My sneaky pick is Will Grier but I don't think we will or should. I do think we will stay true to our boards though and not take a big reach.
Reply/Quote
Let the board guide you, there are a lot of good Corners and WR's on the board right now and if the board says they are the pick you take them.
Reply/Quote
I'd be against it. Day 2 is typically where a team takes their needs. They need LB, DL, and TE more than DB. Williams and Bates are good, WJ3 is very good, and BW Webb and Dennard were signed (albeit just a year for the latter). Take a DB early next year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think CB is the way to go personally. Some of these guys were projected as 1st round picks, and while they might not play a lot next year barring injury it will help get them prepared for when we do need them the year after. You can never have too many corners.

I also like how a lot of these guys are mentioned to have above average to great ball skills, and for a team like ours that can't get an INT to save it's life that's definitely a plus.

People talk about how important it is to get a QB on a rookie deal so that you can win in his first 5 years when you have money to spend at other positions... if we're going to move on at QB in a year or two, you start making sure you have everything else in place now so that you're ready to roll at that point.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:07 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I'd be against it. Day 2 is typically where a team takes their needs. They need LB, DL, and TE more than DB. Williams and Bates are good, WJ3 is very good, and BW Webb and Dennard were signed (albeit just a year for the latter). Take a DB early next year.

Day 2 is usually where we take a project pick in the past.
Reply/Quote
I'd be pretty disappointed, tbh.
Reply/Quote
If we stay put, the BPA’s are WR, CB, OL and one TE. Of that group my priority would be TE, then CB. I’d like to see the team trade down at this point, get an extra 4th.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:07 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I'd be against it. Day 2 is typically where a team takes their needs. They need LB, DL, and TE more than DB. Williams and Bates are good, WJ3 is very good, and BW Webb and Dennard were signed (albeit just a year for the latter). Take a DB early next year.

Round 2 is where the Bengals usually clean up by taking BPA and getting guys who slipped out of round one. That's the way to go here.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:26 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Day 2 is usually where we take a project pick in the past.

(04-26-2019, 02:53 PM)Mobster Wrote: Round 2 is where the Bengals usually clean up by taking BPA and getting guys who slipped out of round one. That's the way to go here.

These are two conflicting statements. The reality is both are somewhat right. The Bengals have taken some projects, they've taken some BPA, and they've taken some need. If the team really does go DB, know these two things:
1) That DB will be the 4th (or even 5th) CB or the 3rd CB on the depth chart this year barring injury or a surprise release or two
2) You're now neglecting TE, LB, and DL until the third round at best. TE probably can wait but LB and DL need someone now who can generate a good interior pass rush in nickel (at least).

I'd only go DB in Rd 2 with the following players:
Greedy Williams
Byron Murphy
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote