Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How would you feel if Bengals used 2nd round pick on stiff competition for John Ross?
(04-16-2019, 01:44 PM)McC Wrote: Hell no. No more toys until the nuts and bolts of this team are fixed. We have enough weapons but we don't have a strong enough OLine or enough good LB's. Gotta come out of this draft with those positions upgraded before we add any backs or receivers.

My thoughts exactly.

We are not in a position to have luxury picks or future assurances.

There are immediate critical areas that need to be addressed. LB, DE, OL and TE.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think they should address LB's in the 2nd round. They have alot of young wide receivers. Ross was coming on last year. I expect alot of misdirection and getting the ball into Ross's hand in Taylor's offense.
Check out my YouTube Show - The Cincinnati Bengals Genius

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-Ah3dvZ0FG3NyGp4gNBkEA?view_as=subscriber
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 01:44 PM)McC Wrote: Hell no.  No more toys until the nuts and bolts of this team are fixed.  We have enough weapons but we don't have a strong enough OLine or enough good LB's.  Gotta come out of this draft with those positions upgraded before we add any backs or receivers.

What if the Toy is something that Zac himself wants; since he is an Offensive minded Coach & this his how he wants to put a Stamp on his offense?

If it was Zac pounding the table for a 2nd round wide receiver would you feel any different ?
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 02:20 PM)depthchart Wrote: What if the Toy is something that Zac himself wants; since he is an Offensive minded Coach & this his how he wants to put a Stamp on his offense?

If it was Zac pounding the table for a 2nd round wide receiver would you feel any different ?

My opinion of ZT would go down. An offensive coach especially should understand it all starts with the lines. 
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 11:59 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Pissed for about an hour. Then drunk because it is friday and draft night.

Big money WRs can hurt a teams chances of winning. We are considering having two of them with Green and Boyd. Im having a hard time saying i want to keep both for what it will cost.

planning for the future we wont be able to keep Boyd Green and Ross all on 2nd deals....  so drafting a WR this year makes sense as nothing behind those 3 has done anything at all...

Then if ross is gone in the next 2 years we already have a WR with system knowledge.. Or if anyone misses game time
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 12:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'd feel really good about it, if they traded John Ross for that 2nd round pick to draft Campbell.

This
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 01:16 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I've considered the possibility of something similar to this in drafting Terry McLaurin in the 3rd round. 

I agree with everyone here saying they don't want WR in the first two rounds.  But I can almost guarantee one in the first four rounds.  We won't pay both Green and Boyd, and Ross has been a flop so far.

I don't follow the draft as much as I used to, but I still watch a lot of college football.  I really thought we were getting a steal in Josh Malone, but he has not developed at all.  I know it may take a player more than 2 years to reach his potential, but he should still show advancements from year one to two.  Malone actually went backwards.

Malone has good ball skills and athleticism.  He is big (6'3", 208) and he was the third fastest WR at the '17 combine (4.40).  His last season with the Vols was good ( 50 rec, 19.4 avg, 11 td), but they had a very simplistic passing game,  I really thought he would blossom in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 02:41 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: planning for the future we wont be able to keep Boyd Green and Ross all on 2nd deals....  so drafting a WR this year makes sense as nothing behind those 3 has done anything at all...

Then if ross is gone in the next 2 years we already have a WR with system knowledge.. Or if anyone misses game time

This.

Ross has shown nothing except the ability to score in the red zone.   We really only have 2 quality receivers, and one of them is over 30 and has been unable to complete the last two seasons.

Additionally he was operated on for (I think) turf toe.   That has often been the end of careers.

And the guy that could serve as a 3rd receiver (Eifert) has a poor record of being able to stay on the field.

So I'm not pushing for it, but if they go for a WR in the 2nd round I would think it is justifiable.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 02:41 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: planning for the future we wont be able to keep Boyd Green and Ross all on 2nd deals....  so drafting a WR this year makes sense as nothing behind those 3 has done anything at all...

That sounds like a great plan to make the future very similar to the present.
Reply/Quote
This team does not have the luxury of playing around with a 2nd round draft pick for the sake of bringing in competition at the WR spot.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 03:44 PM)HuDey Wrote: That sounds like a great plan to make the future very similar to the present.

I don't think we need to grab a guy in the 2nd...   Honestly have little idea how ZT and team with draft...

I'm in for LB and OL with 1 and 2 but I could see the need to grab a WR in the draft.

but you have to prepare for future departures... better for a guy to have a little experience than replace a long time vet with an unknow draft pick
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 02:20 PM)depthchart Wrote: What if the Toy is something that Zac himself wants; since he is an Offensive minded Coach & this his how he wants to put a Stamp on his offense?

Wouldn't an offensive minded coach know that his offense will only be as good as his line? 

And wouldn't any HC want a defense that doesn't suck?  Once he addresses those areas, then he can start looking for more receivers.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 04:58 PM)McC Wrote: Wouldn't an offensive minded coach know that his offense will only be as good as his line? 

And wouldn't any HC want a defense that doesn't suck?  Once he addresses those areas, then he can start looking for more receivers.

I agree, however, the Bengals may feel that they already invested dollars into their starting O-line for 2019 and using the 1st round pick on a linebacker or DT or D-end would give the defensive side of the ball the top pick.

Then Zac gets to use the 2nd round pick on Offense. The Rams didn't have much at tight end in 2018 & Zac could like Uzomah/Eifert plus say a take a mid round rookie tight end & choose to go wide receiver in round 2 since the O-line starters seem set for 2019 based on money spent recently on 3 year deals at RT & RG.

Zacs offensive Stamp could very well be at receiver early on in the Draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 12:39 PM)fozzie11 Wrote: I’d be cool with it, our we depth after green and boyd is awful. Plus we don’t know if we’re going to be able to keep both boyd and green.

As far as people saying we could do better than Campbell is that blind OSU hate or do you really think that a guy with 90-1063-12 in a season is that bad?

Your last point isn’t a very strong one. John Ross had 1150 yards and 17 TDs the year he came out. He still hasn’t caught on yet. Ross was also a better prospect coming out.

To answer the OP a question, I would be a bit annoyed. I think the team would be better if they were stronger in the trenches. There is offensive talent on the team, but the offensive line is a clear weakness. On top of that, we all know how Dalton thrives. That recipe will work for any QB, so having a fundamentally strong offensive line will benefit Dalton OR a rookie.
Reply/Quote
Annoyed because I don't like the pick.

The Bengals have MANY other needs. Offensive tackle. Guard. Linebackers (all of them). One can even talk about edge rusher or pass rush DT with Dunlap and Atkins getting up there in age.
One can easily argue that quarterback is a bigger need that WR.

Also, this is a weak WR class. I don't even have Campbell in my top 5 WRs.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I would feel badly if the pick was not Hakeem Butler, A.J. Brown, or N’Keal Harry because the team absolutely must improve LB and either the O line or D line early. I’d rather see Risner or Lindstrom in the second if White/Bush/Oliver is the first round pick.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
I'm alright with drafting some stiff competition for Ross in the second... Just as long as Ross is competing for a tackle or line backer spot.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 01:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They might not get much by openly shopping him, that I agree with.  However, some other team might think that he's just not been handled right, or used to his strengths.  If a team with that mindset came calling, I could see a 2nd round pick coming into play.

If only we had an excellent snake salesman to sell him as the best thing to come out of the NFL for WRs.
Reply/Quote
If he is the best player available, I would be fine with it.

If we were not taking the best available player, I would hate it as it would not be a high priority need.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 12:29 PM)HuDey Wrote: I would say doing such a thing would be a poor strategy even by Bengals standards. It would be more palatable if they first traded Ross for at least a second round pick. What sense does it make to spend premium picks on WR when we have a leaky line and a QB who has been programmed to get the ball out of his hands ASAP ?

Ross for a 2nd rounder?? what are we smoking tonite??  We would be lucky to nab a 4th rounder for Ross based on his play thus far.
Reply/Quote