Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How would you feel if Bengals used 2nd round pick on stiff competition for John Ross?
The Bengals just had a Pre-Draft visit with Ohio State wide receiver Parris Campbell who ran a 4.31 forty at the combine and is 6 foot 1 inches tall weighing 208 pounds.

A 4.31 forty is lightning fast for a man that size and just .09 seconds off of John Ross' 4.22 forty time.

Parris Campbell was productive in 2018 at Ohio State with 90 catches for 1,063 yards and 12 touchdowns.

The Bengals may have their hearts set on having a healthy speed wide receiver on the filed going forward.

It may require the use of the Bengals 2nd round pick to get Parris which would open up stiff competition for John Ross or it could open up the possibility of the Bengals trading Ross. (maybe even a Draft day trade of Ross)

Even if the Bengals kept both Ross & Parris on the Roster, they could ensure themselves of some serious SPEED at the wide receiver position to go along with AJ Green & Tyler Boyd.

If the Bengals took this Strategy in round 2 by drafting Parris Campbell (who they just visited with). How would this make you feel ?
Reply/Quote
Absolutely not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 11:50 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Absolutely not

But if they actually did it, after all they just visited with him, what would be your take on the move ?

Would you Just roll with it ?

-or-

Would it be a deal breaker for you as it relates to the Bengals Front Office ?

-or-

In Zac you trust ?
Reply/Quote
Pissed for about an hour. Then drunk because it is friday and draft night.

Big money WRs can hurt a teams chances of winning. We are considering having two of them with Green and Boyd. Im having a hard time saying i want to keep both for what it will cost.
Reply/Quote
I like Campbell a lot, but he has had his share of drops when running routes downfield. He is deadly running underneath crossing routes though.
Reply/Quote
As you kind of mentioned, I see the skill set of Campbell as very similar to Ross, but without the injury issues due to size. If they went that direction in the 2nd round, it likely means one of two things:

- They don't like John Ross as much as they said when they shot down the trade rumors and he's likely on the trade block.
- They plan to let one of Boyd or Green go after the season.

IF they traded down in the first, and IF they picked up an additional 2nd or 3rd rounder, I'd be more ok with the pick. I mentioned this in another thread, but the only positions I'd prefer to be off limits in the first 3/4 rounds is C, CB, and S. All other positions are either a weakness or there are upcoming expiring contracts/aging veterans.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't necessarily hate it, but it seems to me there are bigger fish to fry.
Reply/Quote
I'd feel really good about it, if they traded John Ross for that 2nd round pick to draft Campbell.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I would say doing such a thing would be a poor strategy even by Bengals standards. It would be more palatable if they first traded Ross for at least a second round pick. What sense does it make to spend premium picks on WR when we have a leaky line and a QB who has been programmed to get the ball out of his hands ASAP ?
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 11:55 AM)depthchart Wrote: But if they actually did it, after all they just visited with him, what would be your take on the move ?

Would you Just roll with it ?

-or-

Would it be a deal breaker for you as it relates to the Bengals Front Office ?

-or-

In Zac you trust ?

I would be pissed as hell. I don’t want to see a wr at 2. If they do go that route there are most certainly going to be better ones available. That would seem a wasted pick

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 12:03 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: As you kind of mentioned, I see the skill set of Campbell as very similar to Ross, but without the injury issues due to size. If they went that direction in the 2nd round, it likely means one of two things:

- They don't like John Ross as much as they said when they shot down the trade rumors and he's likely on the trade block.
- They plan to let one of Boyd or Green go after the season.

IF they traded down in the first, and IF they picked up an additional 2nd or 3rd rounder, I'd be more ok with the pick. I mentioned this in another thread, but the only positions I'd prefer to be off limits in the first 3/4 rounds is C, CB, and S. All other positions are either a weakness or there are upcoming expiring contracts/aging veterans.

As you seem to imply, this actually happening isn't that far fetched.

Say the Bengals address linebacker in round 1 with Devin Bush, are committed to the O-line they just spent some money on and they don't like the 2nd round tight ends, DTs/DEs more than the idea of taking a 4.31 speed wide receiver.

The reasons you mentioned plus the recent visit puts this in the realm of being a real possibility.
Reply/Quote
I’d be cool with it, our we depth after green and boyd is awful. Plus we don’t know if we’re going to be able to keep both boyd and green.

As far as people saying we could do better than Campbell is that blind OSU hate or do you really think that a guy with 90-1063-12 in a season is that bad?
Reply/Quote
1. We can't get anything in trade for Ross.

2. If you have a problem with high priced WRs taking up too much cap room then you should be infavor of us drafting one so we don't have to pay both Green and Boyd.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 12:05 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I wouldn't necessarily hate it, but it seems to me there are bigger fish to fry.

This. If we didn't have glaring needs in other places, I would be ok with it, but receiver is not in the top 3 or 4 as far as needs go....
Reply/Quote
I've considered the possibility of something similar to this in drafting Terry McLaurin in the 3rd round. He is a 4.3 guy as well and is 5'11. He's a much better route runner than Ross and while he has had his share of drops, he's a willing hard worker. He really showed well at the Senior Bowl. I still believe we need upgrades on OL and the 2nd round would be a good place to get OL help if we go LB in the 1st. I'd hate to see the team go into the season with the OL the way it is.

I also believe the Ross trade rumors were started by Ross' agent. The Bengals retained their WR coaches from last season.

Ross' trade value is whatever it is. It can't be that high after his first two seasons. The shine from his single wonder season in college is long gone.

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 12:32 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I would be pissed as hell.  I don’t want to see a wr at 2.  If they do go that route there are most certainly going to be better ones available.  That would seem a wasted pick

Certainly you're not suggesting the Bengals have ever wasted a pick in the past are you? Why, that goes against everything every Bengals fan believes in the great Mike Brown drafting strategy!  After all, have we EVER made a single drafting mistake in any round? I should say not, but I was raised to believe in telling the truth. So instead I'll just say that drafting mistakes are Mike Brown's bread and butter...diplomatically speaking of course.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 12:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1.  We can't get anything in trade for Ross.

2.  If you have a problem with high priced WRs taking up too much cap room then you should be infavor of us drafting one so we don't have to pay both Green and Boyd.

They might not get much by openly shopping him, that I agree with.  However, some other team might think that he's just not been handled right, or used to his strengths.  If a team with that mindset came calling, I could see a 2nd round pick coming into play.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Hell no. No more toys until the nuts and bolts of this team are fixed. We have enough weapons but we don't have a strong enough OLine or enough good LB's. Gotta come out of this draft with those positions upgraded before we add any backs or receivers.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 01:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They might not get much by openly shopping him, that I agree with.  However, some other team might think that he's just not been handled right, or used to his strengths.  If a team with that mindset came calling, I could see a 2nd round pick coming into play.

I agree that he does have some value. And I agree that other Teams may have ideas on how to utilize him effectively.

I think a third rounder is the best value we could get.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 01:44 PM)McC Wrote: Hell no.  No more toys until the nuts and bolts of this team are fixed.  We have enough weapons but we don't have a strong enough OLine or enough good LB's.  Gotta come out of this draft with those positions upgraded before we add any backs or receivers.

Yup,

We need more cake, we have enough icing right now.
Reply/Quote