Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Howabout these 1st week games?!
I dont know about everyone else, but so far I have watched 4 NFL games and each and everyone of these games has been a serious nail
biter. The bengals, the Raiders, last nights game and the chiefs game all had me fully engaged the entire time. NFL has to be happy...
I missed that Tampa /Dallas game last week but that was the same. Its been fun so far and great to see and hear the fans.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 10:55 AM)kalibengal Wrote: I dont know about everyone else,  but so far I have watched 4 NFL games and each and everyone of these games has been a serious nail
biter. The bengals, the Raiders, last nights game and the chiefs game all had me fully engaged the entire time. NFL has to be happy...
I missed that Tampa /Dallas game last week but that was the same.   Its been fun so far and great to see and hear the fans.

close games are much more fun to watch....  (cept when its your team lol )  then you want boring blow out victories.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 11:14 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: close games are much more fun to watch....  (cept when its your team lol )  then you want boring blow out victories.

true...its always nice to sit back in mid 3rd quarter in a blow out victory...low stress etc.
I havent had one of those in quite a while as bengals fan
Reply/Quote
Kind of missing defense being a thing.

16 QBs have a QB Rating >100.0 right now.
13 QBs have a Completion % >70.0% right now.
13 defenses allowed > 400 yards/gm so far.

Hopefully we start to see the defenses starting to put themselves back together a little bit.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 09:01 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Kind of missing defense being a thing.

Hopefully we start to see the defenses starting to put themselves back together a little bit.

Good observation.  I watched a lot of pathetic CB play, as well as dominant offensive lines around the league.  I was borderline stunned how the Giants handled the front four of Washington.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 09:01 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Kind of missing defense being a thing.

Moving the ball between the 20s I think has become increasingly easier. I know it's only 1 week of stats but I wonder if points are up or just yards/other stats. 

Maybe teams know the offense will move the ball easily and are playing more to stop red zone touchdowns. Also it's week one so their may have been more break down in communications or people doing the wrong thing leading to big plays going over the top. 

I think QBR and some other stats need reworked as well. On paper Cousins looks really good for that 3rd and 24 conversation but really it was all Thielen making a play and Apple sucking. Thielen breaking tackles and running after the catch has nothing to do with Cousins. The QB gets the credit for the completion, any yards during the play, and a touchdown on the run even if it was all the receiver after the catch. 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2021, 08:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good observation.  I watched a lot of pathetic CB play, as well as dominant offensive lines around the league.  I was borderline stunned how the Giants handled the front four of Washington.  

yes me too on NYG OL on WFT DL...and Billy Price being part of that?  
Reply/Quote

Last year the NFL official intentionally called fewer holding penalties on offensive linemen and more pass interference/defense holding calls on defensive backs.

That was the main reason for the big increase in passing numbers.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2021, 12:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Last year the NFL official intentionally called fewer holding penalties on offensive linemen and more pass interference/defense holding calls on defensive backs.

That was the main reason for the big increase in passing numbers.

That's not fair for the old timers...(record wise)
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2021, 12:50 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: That's not fair for the old timers...(record wise)

Neither is adding another game in terms of records. 

But, the game continues to change, rules favor the offense more and more. One of the reasons I get so annoyed with the whole Brady is the goat thing. You can certainly call him the goat in his era, but can't compare him to guys like Montana and Marino and Elway who played with different rules.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2021, 12:50 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: That's not fair for the old timers...(record wise)

QBs from decades past will continue to have all of their records crushed. The rules have been changed so much to protect QBs and increase scoring that it’s not even fair to compare them. Look at that roughing the passer call against Chase Young vs the Giants on Thursday. It was the correct call for what the rules are now but come on. QBs used to finish the game beat up with dirty uniforms but not any more. Tom Brady is an awesome QB who stays I’m in great shape but he would have retired at least 5 years ago if he played in the 80s.

I still think the most impressive QB season was Marino throwing for 48 TDs and over 5,000 yards in 1984. Look at his jersey after those games and you see he was getting hit. All of the records now belong to recent guys and that’s not going to change. I get why they do it because fans want to see Patrick Mahomes not Kyle Allen at QB but you can’t compare today’s QB stats with stats from guys who played 20-30years ago.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2021, 01:22 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: QBs from decades past will continue to have all of their records crushed. The rules have been changed so much to protect QBs and increase scoring that it’s not even fair to compare them. Look at that roughing the passer call against Chase Young vs the Giants on Thursday.  It was the correct call for what the rules are now but come on. QBs used to finish the game beat up with dirty uniforms but not any more. Tom Brady is an awesome QB who stays I’m in great shape but he would have retired at least 5 years ago if he played in the 80s.

I still think the most impressive QB season was Marino throwing for 48 TDs and over 5,000 yards in 1984.  Look at his jersey after those games and you see he was getting hit.  All of the records now belong to recent guys and that’s not going to change.  I get why they do it because fans want to see Patrick Mahomes not  Kyle Allen at QB but you can’t compare today’s QB stats with stats from guys who played 20-30years ago.

This is what happened to QBs in the 80's 

[Image: ken-stabler-keith-garyjpg.jpg]

Guys got abused running routes, QBs got smoked routinely, and yet the great ones still put up numbers. 

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2021, 01:14 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Neither is adding another game in terms of records. 

But, the game continues to change, rules favor the offense more and more. One of the reasons I get so annoyed with the whole Brady is the goat thing. You can certainly call him the goat in his era, but can't compare him to guys like Montana and Marino and Elway who played with different rules.

Tom Brady isn't called the GOAT for stats, though, he is called that for winning games and SBs. That would be more an issue about Brees/Rodgers greatness, which is more predicated upon stats.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2021, 01:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Tom Brady isn't called the GOAT for stats, though, he is called that for winning games and SBs. That would be more an issue about Brees/Rodgers greatness, which is more predicated upon stats.

And how is he able to win so many games and Super Bowls? By not being touched, having open WRs, and playing pitch and catch. I'm not saying the guy isn't a good QB and a hell of a competitor, but I will say this over and over, if he played in an era where he could get smoked like guys did in the 80's he'd have half the wins. The dude gets hit legally and his first move, turn to the ref and cry about being touched. You don't see that crap out of Rodgers, or Brees or Wilson, or any of the young guns like Mahomes and such. 

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2021, 01:47 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: And how is he able to win so many games and Super Bowls? By not being touched, having open WRs, and playing pitch and catch. I'm not saying the guy isn't a good QB and a hell of a competitor, but I will say this over and over, if he played in an era where he could get smoked like guys did in the 80's he'd have half the wins. The dude gets hit legally and his first move, turn to the ref and cry about being touched. You don't see that crap out of Rodgers, or Brees or Wilson, or any of the young guns like Mahomes and such. 

Um... Brady won 3 SBs in the 4 years he played before Carson Palmer got Kimo'd and started the movement towards the Carson Palmer rule, which was way before the 2011 season where they started doing the big enforcement of DPI.

Are we now pretending that Ray Lewis, James Harrison, Brian Urlacher, Troy Polamalu, Rod Woodson, Ed Reed, Charles Woodson, Brian Dawkins, John Lynch, Junior Seau, Warren Sapp, Champ Bailey, etc, etc, were an era of soft football? Because that seems like a stretch to even pretend.

Reply/Quote
Seems like a lot of teams made up ground this year talent-wise. This year more than the past few years seems pretty wide open. Tampa is obviously a top team. The Rams. KC. But there are a lot of teams in the afc and nfc that are on the rise and capable of making noise in the playoffs. There are a lot of middle of the pack teams as well that are pushing for playoff spots.

It’s easy to pick Tampa and KC as the super bowl favorites. But I could list several nfc teams that could make a super bowl push. The Rams, packers. 9ers are healthy this year. Lots of sleeper teams like Seattle, Dallas, Arizona, the saints, etc. afc has a stacked afc north, the Titans, etc that could give KC a run. Should be an entertaining year.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2021, 12:29 PM)kalibengal Wrote: yes me too on NYG OL on WFT DL...and Billy Price being part of that?  

Price made a lot of mistakes, but it is clear that a wide-zone where he needs more athleticism and can't rely on his strength isn't a good fit for him.  
Reply/Quote