Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hubbard rank among DEs
Every time I do something like this certain members here start squawking about what a "DE" is and what an "edge rusher" is and all of that.  But these numbers are simply what ProFootballReference gives me when I set the filter for "DE"

Hubbard is

2nd in solo tackles (27) behind Josh Allen
3rd in total tackles (45) behind Allen and Leonard Williams
3rd in tackles for loss (10) behind Nick Bosa and Myles Garrett
7th in sacks (6)
7th in PDs (3)
14th in QB hits (11)

and

FIRST in fumble return yards (43)
Reply/Quote
What about pressures?
Reply/Quote
If only he were a better player instead of being mediocre.... Ninja Ninja Ninja
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 12:40 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: What about pressures?

He is seventh in total pressures.
Reply/Quote

PFR does not sort by "pressures" or "hurries".

Maybe someone else has a source for those stats.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 12:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: FIRST in fumble return yards (43)

Loved when he ran out of gas and turned to lateral it but there was no one there to lateral it to. LOL
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Many thought the Hubbard contract money could have been better spent on Bates. It appears the Bengals made the right call
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 12:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: PFR does not sort by "pressures" or "hurries".

You have to go to advanced defense to find their pressure statistics. They do have them. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/defense_advanced.htm
Reply/Quote
Josh Allen is the ohtani of the NFL.
Reply/Quote
People for some reason never value tackle for loss as high as sacks but they are essentially the exact same thing. If a HB gets hit 4 yards behind the line and the QB gets hit 4 yards behind the line the end result is a loss of 4.

#MakeTFLMatter
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 12:44 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: You have to go to advanced defense to find their pressure statistics. They do have them. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/defense_advanced.htm

Yes.  Just can't use the filter for positions.

But among ALL players (not just DEs) Hubbard is 2nd in hurries (14) behind Titans OLB Harold Landry, and 7th in pressures (27)
Reply/Quote
I could have sworn he has more than 3 PD. Wasn’t there one game alone where he batted down like 2-3 balls?

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 12:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes.  Just can't use the filter for positions.

But among ALL players (not just DEs) Hubbard is 2nd in hurries (14) behind Titans OLB Harold Landry, and 7th in pressures (27)

Ahh, I see what you're saying. I always just export the table to Excel and filter it that way. Sam is 4th in total pressures for defensive ends and first in hurries for defensive ends. 
Reply/Quote
More on topic, yes Sam Hubbard has been a great value and I think once we get Ossai back next year we will have a really solid rotation for the next couple years. The franchise has continued to make some really solid calls in FA and extensions. Outside the Waynes deal which was derailed by injuries they really haven't missed.

Moves like... 
  • Spain when everyone wanted Thuney 
  • extending Hubbard early for a good value
  • Hendrickson over Lawson
  • Awuzie and Hilton for the price of WJ3
  • Eli Apple as an off the street capable starter when needed
  • Ogunjubi over Geno
  • NOT cutting CJ Uzomah for the cap savings for a parallel move at TE
  • Holding off on Bates coming off a career year.

They have come up aces on pretty much anything having to do with spending so far, I guess we will see how it proceeds into the future. Hubbard though is truly the emotional leader on the defense and I think even beyond his stats that needs to be recognized as the defense continues to ascend.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 12:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I could have sworn he has more than 3 PD. Wasn’t there one game alone where he batted down like 2-3 balls?

Pretty sure the Jets game he had 1, maybe 2. I think one of ended up being bounced off the Oline helmet and not actually him blocking it though. 
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 12:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Every time I do something like this certain members here start squawking about what a "DE" is and what an "edge rusher" is and all of that.  But these numbers are simply what ProFootballReference gives me when I set the filter for "DE"

Hubbard is

2nd in solo tackles (27) behind Josh Allen
3rd in total tackles (45) behind Allen and Leonard Williams
3rd in tackles for loss (10) behind Nick Bosa and Myles Garrett
7th in sacks (6)
7th in PDs (3)
14th in QB hits (11)

and

FIRST in fumble return yards (43)

He's showing that contract was worth it. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 12:54 PM)Au165 Wrote: More on topic, yes Sam Hubbard has been a great value and I think once we get Ossai back next year we will have a really solid rotation for the next couple years. The franchise has continued to make some really solid calls in FA and extensions. Outside the Waynes deal which was derailed by injuries they really haven't missed.

Moves like... 
  • Spain when everyone wanted Thuney 
  • extending Hubbard early for a good value
  • Hendrickson over Lawson
  • Awuzie and Hilton for the price of WJ3
  • Eli Apple as an off the street capable starter when needed
  • Ogunjubi over Geno
  • NOT cutting CJ Uzomah for the cap savings for a parallel move at TE
  • Holding off on Bates coming off a career year.

They have come up aces on pretty much anything having to do with spending so far, I guess we will see how it proceeds into the future. Hubbard though is truly the emotional leader on the defense and I think even beyond his stats that needs to be recognized as the defense continues to ascend.

All excellent points. Some of these moves were criticized, even by me with the Lawson move. I was a huge Lawson truther and while I still think he was a fantastic rusher, I didn't weigh his injury history strongly enough. Hendrickson has been fantastic and so has Hubbard. Really, the FO pretty much nailed this past off-season. 
Reply/Quote

(11-22-2021, 12:41 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: He is seventh in total pressures.

(11-22-2021, 12:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: PFR does not sort by "pressures" or "hurries".

Per PFF, he's 26th in total pressures. Hendrickson is 9th.

When this came up last time, i made a chart and Hubbard was 37th in pressures, so he's improved since then. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Hubbard is currently the 28th highest paid edge rusher, so all things considered he is outpacing his contract right now.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 01:03 PM)Au165 Wrote: Hubbard is currently the 28th highest paid edge rusher, so all things considered he is outpacing his contract right now.

Top 10 rankings should get top 10 pay.
Reply/Quote