Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hubbard rank among DEs
Funny that the already-extended guy is starting to put together a career season and the not-extended guy is having his worst in a contract year.

This isn’t meant to be cheeky or suggestive. Conventional wisdom (useless) often anticipates the opposite though, so whaddya know.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 01:01 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Per PFF, he's 26th in total pressures. Hendrickson is 9th.

When this came up last time, i made a chart and Hubbard was 37th in pressures, so he's improved since then. 

Yeah, I've always noticed that PFR and PFF have a big discrepancy on what they consider a pressure. I've always wondered who is closer to the actual definition. 
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 12:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Every time I do something like this certain members here start squawking about what a "DE" is and what an "edge rusher" is and all of that.  But these numbers are simply what ProFootballReference gives me when I set the filter for "DE"

Hubbard is

2nd in solo tackles (27) behind Josh Allen
3rd in total tackles (45) behind Allen and Leonard Williams
3rd in tackles for loss (10) behind Nick Bosa and Myles Garrett
7th in sacks (6)
7th in PDs (3)
14th in QB hits (11)

and

FIRST in fumble return yards (43)

Last year was a down year for Hubbard, but a lot of that was honestly on the lack of quality players around him.  This year, he's playing next to a top tier NT and has an elite pass rusher lined up at the other DE spot and he's producing at a high level.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He's well worth the contract.

Many people get all caught up in sacks and use that as the total be all end all measuring stick. And it's much more than that.
Reply/Quote
Hubbard is an integral part of the machine needed to contain QB's like Lamar Jackson.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 01:21 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yeah, I've always noticed that PFR and PFF have a big discrepancy on what they consider a pressure. I've always wondered who is closer to the actual definition. 

Yep. Any pressure other than a sack is pretty much up to the eye of the beer holder. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Hubbard was everywhere yesterday. That fumble return was funny though, he was clearly tired after getting the sack
the play before. He is actually underpaid for what he is doing right now, pretty awesome. I thought he would come
around with his pass rush this year the way he works his ass off. One of my favorite players is Sam.
Reply/Quote
He is a modern day Michael Johnson. Such an elite run defender who is a + Pass rusher.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 03:43 PM)J24 Wrote: He is a modern day Michael Johnson. Such an elite run defender who is a + Pass rusher.

Considering they played on the same team at the same time, I wouldn't call him, "modern-day," LOL.

But he's better than MJ; MJ was a good run defender, but that was more instinct and using his reach/athleticism to stop the run. When it came to setting the edge/moving laterally, Dunlap was better with his legs tied together (obviously hyperbole, but just shedding light).

*knocks on wood* how many gashing runs have you seen to Hubbard's side in the past 2 years? If anything, he's gotten more TFL than big, outside runs given up.

When it comes to pass rushing, I think it's about even, but do keep in mind that MJ had the one outlier season, where he got 4 sacks in a game and 11.5 on the year. Hubbard gets a bit more per game, sack-wise (and pressures, they're also about the same).

MJ: 44.5 sacks in 155 games = 1 sack every 3.48 games.
Hubbard: 22.5 sacks in 54 games = 1 sack every 2.4 games.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 03:52 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Considering they played on the same team at the same time, I wouldn't call him, "modern-day," LOL.

But he's better than MJ; MJ was a good run defender, but that was more instinct and using his reach/athleticism to stop the run. When it came to setting the edge/moving laterally, Dunlap was better with his legs tied together (obviously hyperbole, but just shedding light).

*knocks on wood* how many gashing runs have you seen to Hubbard's side in the past 2 years? If anything, he's gotten more TFL than big, outside runs given up.

When it comes to pass rushing, I think it's about even, but do keep in mind that MJ had the one outlier season, where he got 4 sacks in a game and 11.5 on the year. Hubbard gets a bit more per game, sack-wise (and pressures, they're also about the same).

MJ: 44.5 sacks in 155 games = 1 sack every 3.48 games.
Hubbard: 22.5 sacks in 54 games = 1 sack every 2.4 games.

MJ only played one season with Hubbard so I stand by him being a modern day Johnson.  That's not saying he isn't better I was just saying comparing him to Johnson because they are both complete player.
Hubbard does everything you want in a edge player and we are lucky to have them.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote