Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hubbard reminds me of JJ Watt
(10-19-2018, 10:34 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Exactly,

White and Taylor are two of the best defensive players to ever play the game - period ! Top drawer of the top drawer. To argue against that is just arguing to argue. 

Watt is an excellent player who may well end up there with a little luck and some really good health to end his career. But he's not on the same page with those two yet.

What if they kept sack stats when guys like Deacon Jones, Alan Page, Joe Greene, etc played......

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2018, 11:11 AM)Wyche Wrote: What if they kept sack stats when guys like Deacon Jones, Alan Page, Joe Greene, etc played......

Oh no doubt !!

Butkus, Derrick Thomas and others

Watt may well reach that level, who knows ? But IMHO he's just not there yet.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2018, 11:11 AM)Wyche Wrote: What if they kept sack stats when guys like Deacon Jones, Alan Page, Joe Greene, etc played......

Didn't Deacon Jones claim he had like thirty sacks one year?  And there are retired OLinemen from that era who, to this day, can't get that ringing out of their ears from the head slaps he put on them.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
It is virtually impossible to compare players from different eras to each other, especially if the game itself has changed dramatically. How would the ultra accurate Ken Anderson (who was also mobile) look in the NFL today? Pretty freaking awesome I would think.

The best we can do is look at the best players by era and see what effect they had in that era. White and Taylor completely changed the game at their positions and in fact re-defined the positions. Not sure you can say that for JJ watt.

A good argument can be made for the likes of Deacon Jones.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2018, 05:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Fewer passes but a lot more sacks.

The passing game was completely different when Reggie came into the league.  Most throws were down the field so QBs sat in the pocket longer and were sacked more often.  In Reggie's 1985 rookie season the average sacks per team was 46.6.  In Watt's rookie season (2011) it was only 37.1.

The Chicago Bears famous "46 defense" from 1985 would not work in todays NFL.  It would get picked to pieces with short passes.

1. I can see why you cherry picked rookie years. The NFL average of 46.6 sacks per team in 1985 was easily the highest rate of any of Reggie's first 7 seasons. 

1985: 46.6
1986: 42.8 (40.5 if you don't include Reggie's Eagles 104 sacks)
1987: 39.5 (38.3 if you don't include Eagles league leading 72 sacks)
1988: 37.0 
1989: 39.5
1990: 38.1 
1991: 35.4 

Compare that to Watt's first 7 seasons:

2011: 37.1
2012: 36.5
2013: 40.5
2014: 37.9 
2015: 37.1 
2016: 34.9 
2017: 37.3 

Not that big of a difference, outside of that cherry picked rookie season. Btw, Reggie's own team gave up the most sacks during this time frame, and he obviously didn't benefit from it. 

2. AFC south teams (not counting the Texans) have given up 7.2 sacks more than the league average during Watt's career. 

(10-17-2018, 05:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Watt played in every game in 5 of his first seven years.

White played in every game in 5 of his first seven years

Your point?  Confused

The point of my post was not to bash Watt for his injuries, it was to show that even if you average out their sacks per game, White smokes Watt. 

And even if your post is defending Watt missing games, you're doing a poor job of it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote