Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hubbard "way ahead of the curve"
(06-20-2018, 05:47 PM)McC Wrote: My guess is not yet.  He'll get another year, moving inside on passing downs. 

From what I've seen MJ sets a pretty good edge in the run game, but has been ineffective rushing the passer from the edge.   He's been pretty successful inside on the passing downs.

I think it will depend how the rookie Brown pans out.   If he can at least equal what MJ brings MJ will be gone.   But MJ wasn't bad in his new role last year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hubbard has a football IQ that is just off the charts. His experience in the back end of the defense, as an All-State Safety in HS, and then as a DE in college, have really given him the opportunity to diagnose plays and player tendencies from multiple perspectives. This is the type of player that is going to deliver far beyond what his physical limitations might indicate as possible.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 05:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great to hear, been hearing a lot of great stuff about Hubbard already.

With Lawson, Willis and Hubbard we could have a very nice future with our Ends.

I love how versatile Hubbard is, i think this is his most formidable trait. He can cover, being a Safety before and all.

Right on !

(06-20-2018, 05:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hubbard has a football IQ that is just off the charts.  His experience in the back end of the defense, as an All-State Safety in HS, and then as a DE in college, have really given him the opportunity to diagnose plays and player tendencies from multiple perspectives.  This is the type of player that is going to deliver far beyond what his physical limitations might indicate as possible.

I bet ya he will 

Just one of those guys that always ends up on the ball !
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 05:56 PM)3wt Wrote: From what I've seen MJ sets a pretty good edge in the run game, but has been ineffective rushing the passer from the edge.   He's been pretty successful inside on the passing downs.

I think it will depend how the rookie Brown pans out.   If he can at least equal what MJ brings MJ will be gone.   But MJ wasn't bad in his new role last year.

Don't forget about Rolland Jones. Who knows if he blows up in Preseason.

Did nearly take Suggs record in college for sacks.

The thing is with MJ is he is just expensive for what he brings to the table as just an inside rusher on 3rd downs.

(06-20-2018, 05:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hubbard has a football IQ that is just off the charts.  His experience in the back end of the defense, as an All-State Safety in HS, and then as a DE in college, have really given him the opportunity to diagnose plays and player tendencies from multiple perspectives.  This is the type of player that is going to deliver far beyond what his physical limitations might indicate as possible.

Great post as always Sunset, plus we all know how Marv will not play guys who aren't up to par mentally at times.

Was really surprised both Hubbard and Jefferson fell out of the 2nd round but with Jefferson's history i just hope he
is not all talent and is another Paul Dawson for us. Lots of us had high hopes for him and he just never caught on.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 01:45 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree, and to me this is kinda the final piece to the puzzle. I mean the making better decisions thing. They let pac man go finally, so perhaps somethings changed ? 

I'm no ML fan by any stretch ! But maybe, just maybe, team M&M are finally going to step up into the modern NFL ?

Me to ! I'm with you on Billings, hope he can bring the thunder this year.

Yeah, he better make a move in training camp.   A number of folks have him falling off the bubble.   But if he is what we hoped he would be our defensive line will be really scary.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 11:04 AM)fozzie11 Wrote: it makes sense with how well early round buckeyes have been doing early on in the league as of late, maybe Urban is just doing a good job getting his guys ready for the nfl.
You think? Of course he is. I completely agree.
(06-20-2018, 11:06 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Sounds good, will this mean goodbye to MJ?

Doubt it! First and foremost, I like the shit out of that guy, so I ama little biased. I was around Dallas County when he played in HS. MB, probably let's him play out his contract.. Plus he can go inside on passing downs. I think he sticks this one last time. Too talented, versatile, and to good of a leader,not to reward him for his Bengal tenure. He has been nothing except solid and stabilizing for this team. Besides, a new DC and scheme may give him some extra juice.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 05:47 PM)McC Wrote: My guess is not yet.  He'll get another year, moving inside on passing downs. 
Isn’t he better against the run?
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 06:19 PM)3wt Wrote: Yeah, he better make a move in training camp.   A number of folks have him falling off the bubble.   But if he is what we hoped he would be our defensive line will be really scary.

I think both Billings and Brandon Wilson are the dark horses this year.

Billings will be able to lift like he used to when he was the freak of all freaks and could lift a car.

Wilson will get his shot
on ST's where all he has in front of him is Erickson who had a poor year.

Wilson already made a pick at Safety in Camp and he was a great returner and gunner in college.

The way to make it onto the roster is through Simmons on ST's. I think Wilson does it.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 06:25 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: You think? Of course he is. I completely agree.

Doubt it! First and foremost, I like the shit out of that guy, so I ama little biased. I was around Dallas County when he played in HS. MB, probably let's him play out his contract.. Plus he can go inside on passing downs. I think he sticks this one last time. Too talented, versatile, and to good of a leader,not to reward him for his Bengal tenure. He has been nothing except solid and stabilizing for this team. Besides, a new DC and scheme may give him some extra juice.

I was thinking that his money could be used to help with the 2 extensions on the DLine.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 06:34 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I was thinking that his money could be used to help with the 2 extensions on the DLine.

Agree, i like MJ tons myself but he is taking up a lot of salary compared to what he brings to the table.

Need to pay Geno and Dunlap some of that stuff.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 06:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree, i like MJ tons myself but he is taking up a lot of salary compared to what he brings to the table.

Without a doubt.  Geno and Carlos are too valuable to lose.  And we have a couple of guys that can rotate at RE.  Maybe more.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 06:29 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Isn’t he better against the run?

Yes.  Absolutely.  Good against the run. 
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 06:34 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I was thinking that his money could be used to help with the 2 extensions on the DLine.

It absolutely could.  If you can get similar production for a lot cheaper, the handwriting would be on the wall.   But the kids will definitely have to beat him out.   IMO, the decision on him won't be financial.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 07:06 PM)McC Wrote: Yes.  Absolutely.  Good against the run. 

Well, that is true.  I guess we'll just have to see what preseason brings.  It's all a good problem to have.  Competition is a good thing.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 06:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree, i like MJ tons myself but he is taking up a lot of salary compared to what he brings to the table.

Those 2 need to be kept, hopefully the loss of Whit taught management a lesson. Keeping those 2 is a secondary reason as to why I didn’t like the Eifert signing.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 07:10 PM)McC Wrote: It absolutely could.  If you can get similar production for a lot cheaper, the handwriting would be on the wall.   But the kids will definitely have to beat him out.   IMO, the decision on him won't be financial.

The thing is that the money does have to come from somewhere though.
Reply/Quote

(06-20-2018, 06:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree, i like MJ tons myself but he is taking up a lot of salary compared to what he brings to the table.

(06-20-2018, 07:05 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Without a doubt.  Geno and Carlos are too valuable to lose.  And we have a couple of guys that can rotate at RE.  Maybe more.

Agreed,

I don't have anything against MJ, he's been a good player for us. But when it's time to move on it's time to move on. I want to see the Bengals making sound decisions that help them win and stop with this weird loyalty paying out contracts crud !

Now if MJ is the best we've got then by all means keep him.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 07:17 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: The thing is that the money does have to come from somewhere though.

For sure.  I will feel a lot better when both those guys are signed up.  And both have to be.  If it take cutting MJ to do it, then I'm on all for it.

Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 07:05 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Without a doubt.  Geno and Carlos are too valuable to lose.  And we have a couple of guys that can rotate at RE.  Maybe more.

More than a couple after these last two Drafts... Lawson, Willis and now Hubbard, Brown and Rolland Jones...

It is not like MJ's play has been stellar or anything. He played pretty good as a DT in passing situations last year
but was underwhelming to say the least as a pass rusher especially. I think between these guys we will find a guy
who can both stop the run and rush the passer and with a good rotation they will be fresh.

Would be nice just to renegotiate MJ's contract just in case some of these guys don't pan out though.

He is just being paid more then he deserves right now, nothing against the man off the field, very good man.

Just like Peko in lots of ways, always loved the guy off the field.

(06-20-2018, 07:06 PM)McC Wrote: Yes.  Absolutely.  Good against the run. 

Not last year and MJ is a walking tree when rushing the passer from the RE position.

(06-20-2018, 07:12 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Those 2 need to be kept, hopefully the loss of Whit taught management a lesson. Keeping those 2 is a secondary reason as to why I didn’t like the Eifert signing.

Yes they do, it is essential.

Don't know what happened with the Whit situation that was a head scratcher, but thank God in it happening we
finally moved on from PA. Could be a blessing in disguise and i honestly believe it is if we can keep both of these
fellas. Geno is a HOF and Dunlap is one of the most disruptive Ends in the game.

Still like the Eifert signing cause if he can stay somewhat healthy he is the best route running TE in the NFL and
he will score a lot of TD's. We still have the dough to sign Geno and Dunlap.

Pay the men.
Reply/Quote
I think our line specifically at de is better off then what it was with Hunt/Clarke the future.

MJ isn't going anywhere. He might have earned himself an extension with his play at dt last season in the eyes of MB.

It's dt that I'm unsure about outside of Geno. Sure we signed Baker, but he has a lot to prove, and he's on a one year deal. Maybe he'll be the missing piece. Big year for Billings and Glasgow.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote