Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hue Jackson #7 among all coordinators in NFL
http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?/topic/76202-ranking-the-top-20-coordinators-across-the-nfl-who-is-no-1/

(edited content)

Bucky Brooks

Here is my countdown of the top 20 coordinators in the NFL, with a little bonus ranking of the top three head-coaching candidates for the next hiring cycle:

Play NFL Fantasy Football!

20) Kris Richard, defensive coordinator, Seattle Seahawks:

19) Tom Clements, associate head coach/offense, Green Bay Packers:

18) Kyle Shanahan, offensive coordinator, Atlanta Falcons:

17) Pep Hamilton, offensive coordinator, Indianapolis Colts:

16) Dirk Koetter, offensive coordinator, Tampa Bay Buccaneers:

15) Greg Roman, offensive coordinator, Buffalo Bills:

14) Gregg Williams, defensive coordinator, St. Louis Rams:

13) Dennis Thurman, defensive coordinator, Buffalo Bills:

12) Dean Pees, defensive coordinator, Baltimore Ravens:

11) Scott Linehan, offensive coordinator, Dallas Cowboys:

10) Wade Phillips, defensive coordinator, Denver Broncos:

9) Sean McDermott, defensive coordinator, Carolina Panthers:

8) Teryl Austin, defensive coordinator, Detroit Lions:

7) Hue Jackson, offensive coordinator, Cincinnati Bengals: It's a shame Jackson's swagger leads some observers to overlook his offensive ingenuity, but defensive coordinators around the NFL certainly respect the schemes and concepts he brings to the table each week. Jackson persistently challenges the discipline of defenders while putting his top players in position to make plays. Sounds simple, but few can rival Jackson's chess skills.

6) Romeo Crennel, defensive coordinator, Houston Texans:

5) Todd Haley, offensive coordinator, Pittsburgh Steelers:

4) Vic Fangio, defensive coordinator, Chicago Bears:

3) Norv Turner, offensive coordinator, Minnesota Vikings:

2) Rod Marinelli, defensive coordinator, Dallas Cowboys:

1) Josh McDaniels, offensive coordinator, New England Patriots:

Top three head-coaching candidates

Who will garner attention in next offseason's hiring cycle? Well, obviously, that'll depend on how things play out in the 2015 campaign. But as of right now, these three guys stand out among current coordinators:

1) Teryl Austin, defensive coordinator, Detroit Lions
2) Josh McDaniels, offensive coordinator, New England Patriots
3) Hue Jackson, offensive coordinator, Cincinnati Bengals
Reply/Quote
I hate to even use the word but I'm quite sure injuries played a huge role in Hue's 2014 season and the options he had playcalling.

Having said that, overall I came away from the season basically unimpressed. Perhaps my expectations were a little to high for the first year and all.

I still like Hue and hope he'll get things ironed out this season. This fellow seems to think he will ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Meh. I think Jackson is way overrated by these analysts that keep giving him such high marks. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because of injury and him being a "rookie" OC here, but our offense didn't look that great last year. I'm pretty sure Hill would have still been a really good NFL RB regardless of who our coordinator was, so I don't think I'm ready to give Hue all of the credit there.

We ran an above average amount of times on first down compared to the rest of the league despite Andy being very efficient in 2014 on 1sts (68+% completion, 7 YPA, 91+ passer rating). Maybe it was Hue's playcalling that helped there, so I will give some of the credit to him for that. Passing plays were rarely called with 1-3 yards to go, and the offense was very inefficient on those passing plays. Also, FWIW, Andy's passer rating was around 97 in the no huddle last year.

We ranked either right in the middle of the pack or lower in every major offensive category last year. Points per game, yards per game, 1st downs per game, 3rd down conversation %, penalties, and time of possession. Some of those could/should have been better even with the injuries.

I think the offense really underperformed last season even though there were a few injuries and we had rookies at C and OC. I'm definitely willing to withhold a real strong opinion on him until this season though, I'd like to see what he can do, I just really don't understand the very high ratings he's been receiving in the media.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2015, 01:52 PM)djs7685 Wrote:  I just really don't understand the very high ratings he's been receiving in the media.

I think part of it is that he is a former head coach.

The offense was not that impressive last year.  I blame a lot of it on injuries, but even if you say injuries held him back I don't see any way Hue did enough to be ranked this high.  In other words, due to injuries I would not rank Hue low because of the way our offense struggled last year, but I am not going to rank him really high until i see him excel as an OC.
Reply/Quote
Would think he would be a little higher being he already has HC-ing experience.

But I too believe he is a little overrated, but hoping to be wrong.

It took a long time for him to give Hill the carries he deserved as well.

How can you watch that kid daily and not see how good he was.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2015, 01:58 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Would think he would be a little higher being he already has HC-ing experience.

But I too believe he is a little overrated, but hoping to be wrong.

It took a long time for him to give Hill the carries he deserved as well.

How can you watch that kid daily and not see how good he was.

You have to question the Hill being held back ? But I wonder how much influence ML had on that ?
Reply/Quote
Darrell Bevell(Seahawks OC) doesn't make the list? Really?

As for Jackson, I'll believe it when I see it. This fan base does seem to be pretty harsh on any coordinator not named Mike Zimmer, but Hue just hasn't done enough to warrant all of the praise that he gets in my eyes. 15th out of 32 somehow equates to 7th out of 64? Were the Bengals down to their 3rd string QB last year or something?
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2015, 03:33 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Darrell Bevell(Seahawks OC) doesn't make the list?  Really?  

As for Jackson, I'll believe it when I see it.  This fan base does seem to be pretty harsh on any coordinator not named Mike Zimmer, but Hue just hasn't done enough to warrant all of the praise that he gets in my eyes.  15th out of 32 somehow equates to 7th out of 64?  Were the Bengals down to their 3rd string QB last year or something?

Hand to Marshawn, play action roll out on fake to Marshawn....difficult task.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2015, 03:33 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Darrell Bevell(Seahawks OC) doesn't make the list?  Really?  

As for Jackson, I'll believe it when I see it.  This fan base does seem to be pretty harsh on any coordinator not named Mike Zimmer, but Hue just hasn't done enough to warrant all of the praise that he gets in my eyes.  15th out of 32 somehow equates to 7th out of 64?  Were the Bengals down to their 3rd string QB last year or something?

I may be in the minority, but I thought that Jay Gruden was a pretty good OC. I'm not a guy that hates every coordinator like some seem to, I just don't understand what Hue did to be considered so good by these analysts.
Reply/Quote
I think they're looking at more than just him being an OC last year. Remember, he was a wide receiver coach for the Bengals during the Chad, TJ, and Henry days. From 04-06. Those wide receivers did some amazing things those days.

Then he was OC for the Ravens and helped Joe Flacco win two playoff games that year. Although not great statistically, but that should help give us faith that Hue can win big games with issues from the QB.

Then he did GREAT things in Oakland. They ranked 31st on offense in 2009. He comes in 2010 and gets them to 10th. They also ranked 6th in points with 410. In 09 they had only managed 191 points, averaged 12 points a game. They ranked 21st in rush offense in 09, but when Hue came in they were ranked 2nd in the NFL.

So I think it's more so what he has done throughout his career, rather than just one season as an OC.

I mean, for crying out loud, he got the Raiders to 8-8. He had Jordan Campbell and was looking like a playoff team with him when he was head coach in 2011. If Campbell doesn't get hurt, they could have very well been a playoff team.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2015, 03:38 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Hand to Marshawn, play action roll out on fake to Marshawn....difficult task.

Lynch looked very mediocre in Buffalo. Russel Wilson probably wouldn't have been anything special if he was in an average scheme. The Seahawks wouldn't have made back to back Super Bowls if Bevell wasn't really good at his job.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2015, 05:17 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Lynch looked very mediocre in Buffalo. Russel Wilson probably wouldn't have been anything special if he was in an average scheme. The Seahawks wouldn't have made back to back Super Bowls if Bevell wasn't really good at his job.

It's Buffalo...most players on that offense tend to look mediocre.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2015, 03:46 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I may be in the minority, but I thought that Jay Gruden was a pretty good OC. I'm not a guy that hates every coordinator like some seem to, I just don't understand what Hue did to be considered so good by these analysts.

Gruden didn't do badly here. But he made some pretty...um interesting choices at times.

Hue gets a lot of credit for behind the scenes stuff I'm guessing. Also, he had to use Rex Burkhead at WR. I'm sure that helped. 
Reply/Quote
I like Hue but I need to see more from him to say that he is a top 10 coordinator. I will say this though I think he understands how to play with Andy Dalton better than Jay did. It will be very interesting to see what a healthy offense does with him as offensive coordinator this season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 01:51 AM)J24 Wrote: I will say this though I think he understands how to play with Andy Dalton better than Jay did.

How can someone say that with a straight face?

Gruden was the guy that led Andy to the franchise records that everybody on here gets a boner about.

Hue was the guy that led Andy to looking like complete shit outside of about 6 total games last season.

Injuries or not, Andy looked like hot garbage more often than he ever has in 2014. Give some blame to injuries but let's not pretend that Andy himself, the QB coach, and the OC don't need to split up some of that blame too. Andy had a career low number of TD throws, a career high INT%, a yardage total tied with his rookie campaign, and the second lowest passer rating of his career under Hue.

At least Gruden played to Andy's strengths and let him chuck the ball around even though he was still an INT machine. We got to end the 2013 season with hope for Andy and a lot of us said "hey, on the bright side, if he can get a little more comfortable in the pocket, put a little more zip on those intermediate throws, and cut back on a few INTs, we have a pretty damn good QB on our hands!". After seeing him in Hue's system, I don't think anyone is going to be getting Andy Dalton franchise record boners again anytime soon.
Reply/Quote